Is Ebay dying???

5 years ago I would list 30 things in a week and if only 25 sold I would be surprised / disappointed!

Now I list 30 items and only 1 or 2 sell per week???

Speaking to all my friends that Ebay they are having the same issue

I always research and make sure my prices are the lowest or equal lowest listed, what the hell is going on???

Is it due to Facebay / Gumtree or is that people just aren't spending money???

Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Is Ebay dying???

i think ebay .au need to improve ,i am a new seller here just one month  ,i  want to use some marketing tools here,i am happy to spend money on marketing ,i found ebay  US UK and some other countries .have lots promotion programs,ebayecommercenetwork is not open for australia ebay,very limited way to promote my shop,i have got a email offer said i can use promoted listing for free during this month,but i went  in BETA homepage ,it is disable,i can't find my listing there ,so can't choose list to promote,so australia ebay has no way to promote,we only can sit there waiting for customers coming ,how can we get traffic?called they had no answer,anybody has the some problem with promoted listing?

Message 11 of 38
Latest reply

Have you forgotten about the items you have sold in the last 6 months?

You have definitely been selling since April....the dates are still showing in the feedback as a seller.

Message 12 of 38
Latest reply

The problem is that plenty are going the lowest/cheapest prices just to get that sale.

It's been happening with alot of different items.

And I can't believe how devalued items are in the category that I sniff around in lol

Message 14 of 38
Latest reply

I look at what others are selling for, discount the 2 UK sellers who don't seem to realise that exchange rates change, then try to be around the 3rd cheapest Australian seller. Or 10th if the other 9 are trying to race to the bottom. I (very) occasionally check the prices of current listings post-sale and usually there are still Australian sellers listing for less for the book I just sold. Maybe I have enough feedback to give a feeling of security to the buyer, maybe they appreciate that I'm not a bottom-feeder, who knows?

Message 15 of 38
Latest reply

For me it is an incremental death to the order of 20% less sales per year (over the past 3 years).

Message 16 of 38
Latest reply

I have very few sales here now. It gives me no incentive to list when my only May sale was a red top & now the buyer wants to return "because it's too red" What the? I replied nicely & am awaitring the parcel return in the mail. It was runout stock & the woman has had the item for a month prior to contacting me!

It's just becoming all too difficult to make a supplementary living on ebay! I started with markets some 35 years ago, so am thinking of offloading all as soon as Melb weather warms. Any ideas on good markets Northen Subs Melb?

Message 17 of 38
Latest reply

@redders_60 wrote:

It's just becoming all too difficult to make a supplementary living on ebay! I started with markets some 35 years ago, so am thinking of offloading all as soon as Melb weather warms. Any ideas on good markets Northen Subs Melb?

Thomastown and latrobe uni (kingsbury) sunday markets come to mind

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 18 of 38
Latest reply

Thank You K! I actually started at Tommo markets all those years ago! I've a friend who does books @ La Trobe Uni. I'll look into both with much Thanks! the other K

Message 19 of 38
Latest reply

Wow.   I used to sell at Thommo market 30 years ago.  That's the first one -

not the undercover one in the big shed.

Don't they have a market at the Coburg Drive In on Sundays?

They used to....dunno about now though

Message 20 of 38
Latest reply