Is everyone aware of postage increases 30/09/19

Is everyone aware of postage increases 30/09/19  Australia post does it again prices are going up again as of 30th this month and be aware if you use Australia post prepay bags there are 4 levels and its now charged on size of parcel up to 5kg not weight 

but if you use your own packaging it is charged on weight or cubic size and anything over 5kg is just so confusing and changes from every post code thanks aus post another knife in the back of small bizz and Australians in general 

a parcel up to 500gms will now be $8.95 but i could dropship that same weight from china for around $2.80 and aus post will deliver it anywhere in Australia so $6.15 cheaper per item than domestic post so we all know that will drive more sales offshore and in turn multi millions in fact my calculations say billions of dollars offshore that the country as a whole will never benifit from .Disgusting and uncompeditive pricing 

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Is everyone aware of postage increases 30/09/19

There's a long thread on the seller's board about that :-

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Heads-up-AUS-POST-just-announced-price-changes/td-p/2259792...

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

are you aware of Ebays global shipping scam charging international buyers buying from USA both import tax and so called shipping and handling services? Do you know that on a sellers account they only show you a postage for the item to abroad as one price ie $10.50 and then to the buyer abroad as ie $35.50 and then when you check your paypal account an automatic payment to "Pitney Bowes" shows up with an excessive amount ie $79.00 USD without you even knowing!!!!

Please share because all it takes is numbers for them to finally do something about it!

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Smiley LOL  Sorry, but you have missed the boat on this one.

There is nothing illegal about the Global Shipping Program.....immoral perhaps, but not illegal.

You have posted on a thread that has nothing to do with the GSP and everything to do with Australia Post.

I suggest you look round the boards and find out a bit more about the GPS which has been in force for several years now.

You are unlikely to get any takers for your class action.  Most members want to keep their ebay accounts and the rules expressly forbid any agitation re ebay or associated entities.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

FYI are you a lawyer or a solicitor? The global shipping program is illegal because the buyer is not made aware of the additional charges prior to bidding on an item. There is nothing you can click on that can outline the details of the extra charges when a buyer bids an item, the only thing I can agree with you here is that it sure is Immoral! This information is only made away once winning the item and you are ready to pay. So maybe you should look closely at what message I'm trying to get across.

Not only that the seller didn't even know about the extra charges and how expensive it all was to send their own items abroad??? This is why sellers are loosing buyers and eBay needs to look at other ways to add fees to the platter.

My post was in response to the previous post so its got everything to do with postage and I am from Australia so why shouldn't I make it relevant to raise this issue that postage problems are not only in Australian but also from abroad? In fact if you compare the postage services you will know that some countries charge even higher postage fees than Australia Postal Services. An example is your backed GSP.

There is nothing that suggest eBay can legally close your account just for taking them to court, so I'm sorry Lyndal1838 eBay ambassador but one day something will be done the right way.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

When you add an item to your cart ALL costs are shown, prior to payment. Maybe you should try it.

No need to be a lawyer, although checking the fees before committing to a payment is prudent.

It is not illegal. If you think it is, take eBay and Pitney Bowes to court. No, I won't help you fund a case that is guaranteed to lose.

Your post was off-topic because this thread is about Australia Post postage increases which have nothing to do with what you pay to buy things from overseas.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@liquidflowtm,

The buyer is made aware of the total before committing to the sale, except where the buyer's actually opted in to making immediate payments, or where the buyer doesn't scrutinise the total in the shopping cart - so far as I am aware. I definitely have not enabled automatic payment from my PayPal account; I don't like the idea of purchases going ahead without my expressly okaying the purchase!

As far as I know, clicking onto the listing to look at it (including description) should show the relevant costs - import duty, postage cost, etc.

If you find that your payments are made without your logging in to PayPal in checkout, to specifically make the payment, it could be that your eBay account has a saved payment method. You can go to your account under My eBay, and click onto the Account tab. (You'll see this just under My eBay: Summary under the eBay logo.)

From there, click onto Personal Information, and scroll down to Checkout saved payment methods. If your account says No saved payment methods, that should be what's needed (but some people have mentioned that they had to add a payment method and then remove it - just to be sure that the checkout was NOT automatically making the payment from their PayPal account without so much as an "Excuse me, payment's being made now").

eBay explain Remember payment details in the following way:

โRemember payment details

When you select Remember payment details:
  • You store your payment details for future purchases on eBay.

• You can revise or remove your saved payment information by going to My eBay > Account > Personal Information.

With Remember payment details, you won't have to enter your payment information the next time you buy something on eBay.โž

By removing that "Remember payment details", you'll have that extra step before making payment, to ensure you can see the full details of the purchase.

Also - as davewil has said - try making sure that you add the desired item to your cart before clicking confirm to actually buy the item.

Just to clarify a few other things...

eBay can indeed close your account upon any pretext whatsoever. Behaviour from an eBay member which might make them a high-risk account, or a troublesome account, or an account that they suspect of breaching any policy... any of that may play into an eBay decision. These boards have seen quite a few complaints about permanently restricted or suspended accounts - and there's simply no recourse found in most of those cases. eBay's UA lays it out in no uncertain terms:

โ9. Breach

Without limiting other remedies available to eBay at law, in equity or under this Agreement, we may, without notice to you and in our sole discretion (which shall be exercised reasonably, having regard to the circumstances), delay listing your item, delete your listing, issue you a warning, restrict your activities through our site (including but not limited to buying, selling and posting activities), temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership and refuse to provide our services to you, or require you to pay additional fees if:

• you have, or we believe that you have, breached this Agreement, which includes any of our Policies in any way (including those Policies referred to in Clause 24 below);
  • we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us;
  • we believe that your actions may cause loss or damage to or otherwise unlawfully harm you, our users, third parties or us, our related bodies corporate or affiliates, our directors, employees or agents; or
  • if we reasonably believe that any of your information (which includes an item listed on the site) is inappropriate or of an offensive nature.

For security, confidentiality and privacy reasons, we are not obligated to provide you or other members the details of any investigation that we conduct or any action which we take, in relation to your membership or your account other than those that are already provided to you by us.โž

I should make it clear that I am not an eBay employee or advocate, and that I disagree with several of eBay's behaviours and/or policies. (I do, however, make myself aware of eBay's T&Cs, and I believe that eBay sellers (and buyers) can best use eBay by being aware of eBay policies. For sellers especially, awareness of the hazards of selling on eBay enables them to formulate their own procedures to minimise risk.

lyndal is not an eBay ambassador. She has been critical of eBay in many posts, but she tends to post from an informed stance. That means she KNOWS that posting about class actions is flogging a dead horse... not to mention that she's aware of the eBay policies and the Community Rules of Engagement that address the whole "let's agitate against eBay" scenario. The moderators of these forums (Lithium employees, as eBay has outsourced these boards to Lithium) are usually quite good about taking some wild talk in their stride. I suspect that the moderators know that sometimes some of those posts are just venting, mere words, with the poster letting off steam - but if posts become too anti and wild for the mods to ignore, those posts will end up edited or removed. Let me quote the relevant point from the Community Rules of Engagement:

โDo not post or encourage posting that seeks to campaign or petition against eBay or its related services. This includes posting deliberately false, misleading or inaccurate information about eBay or its related services, material posted with the intent to impersonate eBay Staff or another member through the use of similar IDs or any other method or device.โž

lyndal is actually very knowledgeable and has some particularly good expert information about couriers and Australia Post. She is also very much NOT in favour of the GSP - but she posts sensible information about the GSP rather than simply crying "Woe, woe" about it. Most buyers don't like the GSP (for very good reasons), but the reality is that quite a lot of overseas sellers love it, because it removes the risk of selling to buyers internationally. If you want to read some of the information and discussions on these boards about the GSP, you could do no better than to head to this particular thread. It's by no means the only (or even the most recent) GSP thread, but it is definitely the thread where the focus is on trying to examine the GSP in a facts-based way.

Other posts/threads of interest:
  • this one
  • this one (in which I've tried to discuss - fairly - the drawbacks for buyers as well as the (not as many) benefits)
  • this one (where the poster shows - with screenshots - how a listing does display the potential charges before one goes ahead with purchasing... but the thread goes on with a lot of lively discussion and interesting points raised by various posters!)

There are lots of other thread, but those ones are among the most insightful and informative.
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply