It's Very Quiet

Gee! It's quiet isn't it? Or, is it just us? Our page views are way down.

And, money does seem to be a bit short. I wish politicians would stop 'gobbing off.' I'm convinced they have affect on commerce.

Are we entering a known seasonal lull?

Melina.

Message 1 of 40
Latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: It's Very Quiet

I didn't realise that they had changed it, until several buyers bought and paid straight away for each item. I ended us sending a couple a message and they said they were forced into immediate payment. I told them in future to add items to the cart then request a total. Requesting a total buys the items but allows you time to pay. Niether of those higher feedback buyers knew what the cart was for and had never used it. This was NOT one of eBay's better ideas!

Message 31 of 40
Latest reply

This is ebay's advice:

The BUYER has to change their preferences:

Here's the steps about removing the automatic payment checkout:

1.Go to My eBay.
2.Click Account
3.Select Personal Information
4.Scroll down to Financial Information
5.Click Remove on the right side of Checkout saved payment methods.

I had a multiple purchase yesterday, advised my buyer to do the above & bingo - no more immediate payments....BUT she was only able to do it on a pc
Message 32 of 40
Latest reply

i have 4 items from 4 different buyers that have not been paid for yet 

so imidiate payment is not working on my items for sale 

Message 33 of 40
Latest reply

I decided to make my items Fast 'n' Free with 1 day handling and free postage in Oz to see if it made a difference.

It means I've had to make higher item prices of course, since the postage is now built into the item price.  It also means that I am showing lower international shipping prices.

So far have had a few sales after a week of no sales.

Message 34 of 40
Latest reply

Like you, fairly low non payer rate and don't worry about requiring immediate payment on all my items.

Sometimes, non payers are annoying, but as an overall percentage, I don't find it a problem.

Quite a few buyers manage to combine things using the flat rate postage rule, which I have set at $1 per item on many of the listings, this seems to work fairly well.

Not sure that eBay requires an immediate payment on all buy it now items, when I have bought items on eBay very recently, it has not required me to make immediate payment.

This (immediate payment required) has not been my experience, if it was, why have I a couple of non payers from the last few weeks?

One from 2 weeks ago for $39, another 1 week ago for $6.70 and I have a couple of people who have bought items in the past 24 hours but not made payment as yet, which is quite normal.

Hope they don't require immediate payment on all buy it now items, sometimes a person wants to buy something and pay next week or fortnight, that is fine with me, as long as they let me know.

As for postage refunds. Whilst this is a pain, it is also a chance to promote your business and show your customer what a good, honest seller you are.

I always try and refund excess postage costs (naturally, after deducting eBay and Paypal fees) and many customers are appreciative of this and it helps them have confidence and come back for more..

Message 35 of 40
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

@best-buys-com-au wrote:

Sadly, you are absolutely right.

In November 2016 I set up my own online store and that is already selling nearly 30 times what I am selling here on ebay and my google ads cost me less than what ebay charges me every month.

I started my online store with the same products that I have here on ebay in my "Crazy Prices" and "Office Machines" categories, at the same prices I have on ebay - so the sales performance comparison is fair.

It is hard to not come to the conclusion that there is no future in selling here on ebay if you want to earn more than a couple of dollars an hour and accepting a zero return on your stock investment (in my case, my stock investment is more than what my home is worth, and that is not insignificant).

I realise many sellers are really struggling, particularly if they sell into saturated markets such as womans clothing or electronics, but its not all gloom and doom. My sales are still ticking over quite well with regular sales of staple items and a couple of very high priced items sold in the last week..  Even with the decline in ebay over recent years, I still earn a lot more than a couple of dollars an hour and my stock is selling at many times what I pay for it. And in response to the above comments, my investment in stock is around a third of the value of my house, so whilst not as high as some, it is also not insignifigant.

I even got keen enough to launch a new store last week to sell into a different catagory to my existing stores. I researched products carefully and came to the conclusion there was an opening in the market for a particular line of niche items that where showing exceptional profit margins. . Its early days yet, but the initial signs are promising with plenty of views, watchers and nearly 10% of listed stock selling in the first six days. Profit margins average between 500% - 1500% on the items that have sold so far.

I know the economy in general and ebay in particular is tough at the moment, but there are still buyers out there if you are selling items that people really want.

I opened the new store last Saturday and spent last Sunday ( seven days ago ) listing around 100 items. The new store exceeded expectations with eighteen sales in its first week including seven international sales. The dollar value of sales was $520.00 with stock costing very little. Profit margins would have averaged over 1000% for the items sold, so even allowing for stock cost and ebay fees, profit for the new store would be over $400 in its first week. Time spent, around ten hours, giving a wage of $40 per hour with 90 listings included in this figure, still live and ready to provide future sales, further increasing the $40 per hour salary already achieved..

This is not airy fairy estimates, this is a real life example, using real life figures achieved on ebay in the past week.

The purpose of giving such specific details is to show that there are still buyers on ebay for the right products. It is almost impossible to achieve high sales and profit margins in saturated catagories such as womans clothing, mobile phones  and electronic goods. Sellers need to think outside the box and find items which are not commonly available. It is these niche markets and products which provide the potential to make high profits and excellent wages per hour on ebay.

Message 36 of 40
Latest reply

I'm sure you are absolutely right. Some of us though still have mega thousands of existing stock to move, which once was not part of a saturated market, or otherwise items sold by shonky sellers. I wish we were out of pipes altogether. Whilst we enjoy it, it's a hard gig these days. The main enjoyment comes from the artistic creational side of things, but appreciation for that aspect is slowly waning in an ever more so throwaway society, I think. True collectors are becoming rarer and it's hard to convince uninformed buyers of the value at times in some of our upper echelon items. In fact we list few of them in eBay for this reason and have slowly developed another pathway for these. But, it's still hard and timing has had a lot to do with it. Even 5 years ago we would have travelled so much easier.

Aside from all that, and I don't have much experience in what I'm about to say, it honestly appears to me that the direction taken by eBay has made it all that much more difficult. This is just my perception.

I see sourcing as a bit of a barrier. Not entirely, but certainly for newer players. I'm always looking, but I don't find it easy. I guess I've a lot to learn and that's happening, but slowly. However, if  you know your way about, I'm sure you're in a better position to capitalise on some of your good ideas. Good on you!

I wish you really well with your new shop. It sounds terrific and I love nice story's where someone is beating the odds. Even though you make it sound pretty easy, I know it's not. It's hard work and luck plays only a small part in everything. You're onto something and I hope it's good for you.

I'll  just keep listening to the advice in here. It's been invaluable to us. I'm the first to admit, I'm a bit of a dozey dizzy, and I hate feeling alone and exposed. I don't feel like that anymore.

Good Lucy and thanks for sharing your good story. We all need good news sometimes.

Melina.

Message 37 of 40
Latest reply

Thanks for your kind words Melina. You mention you have a pile of stock from past business that you need to clear, but are finding its relevance is waning a bit. I am in a similar situation with my two established ebay stores. I have a shipping container full of stock that I am slowly trying to get rid of through my existing stores. When I started the businesses the items I sold where very popular and I made a full time living, selling them on ebay.

Over the past five years or so, a lot of the things I sell have been made redundent by technology changes and the higher quality items are being reproduced as cheap copies that are sold illegally on ebay. This has put the dampeners on my stores. Sales are still quite reasonable, but they will never return to what they where.

That is the main reason we decided to open the new store. Sellers need to constantly adapt and change to remain relevent on ebay. It is rare to be able to keep selling the same stuff year after year while consumer tastes change around you. We will keep plodding along, clearing the items from storage through our existing stores, but hope the change in direction with the new store will revitalise our sales and personal enthusiasm for ebay.

Message 38 of 40
Latest reply

@clubesquire wrote:

I'm sure you are absolutely right. Some of us though still have mega thousands of existing stock to move, which once was not part of a saturated market, or otherwise items sold by shonky sellers. I wish we were out of pipes altogether. Whilst we enjoy it, it's a hard gig these days. The main enjoyment comes from the artistic creational side of things, but appreciation for that aspect is slowly waning in an ever more so throwaway society, I think. True collectors are becoming rarer and it's hard to convince uninformed buyers of the value at times in some of our upper echelon items. In fact we list few of them in eBay for this reason and have slowly developed another pathway for these. But, it's still hard and timing has had a lot to do with it. Even 5 years ago we would have travelled so much easier.

Aside from all that, and I don't have much experience in what I'm about to say, it honestly appears to me that the direction taken by eBay has made it all that much more difficult. This is just my perception.

I see sourcing as a bit of a barrier. Not entirely, but certainly for newer players. I'm always looking, but I don't find it easy. I guess I've a lot to learn and that's happening, but slowly. However, if  you know your way about, I'm sure you're in a better position to capitalise on some of your good ideas. Good on you!

I wish you really well with your new shop. It sounds terrific and I love nice story's where someone is beating the odds. Even though you make it sound pretty easy, I know it's not. It's hard work and luck plays only a small part in everything. You're onto something and I hope it's good for you.

I'll  just keep listening to the advice in here. It's been invaluable to us. I'm the first to admit, I'm a bit of a dozey dizzy, and I hate feeling alone and exposed. I don't feel like that anymore.

Good Lucy and thanks for sharing your good story. We all need good news sometimes.

Melina.

I have to admit it has all been a lot easier than I expected. I think the secret is product selection. If you sell generic items that are mass produced and available anywhere, the only way you can differentiate your item from everyone else is price. This means a race to the bottom as each seller shaves margins to go one step lower than the next seller. The result is no margin at all and high stock holding costs as many sellers also try to offer a large product range to try to entice buyers.

If you sell into the saturated, used catagories such as womans clothing, there can be literally millions of listings. How do you entice buyers to find your one special item amongst millions ?

The products I have listed are all unusual or rare. They are often the only ones listed on ebay wordwide. Hence the high numbers of international sales. Because there is no other sellers I can price the items much higher.

The profit all comes from the top of the selling price, not the bottom. Every item has a fixed cost in original stock purchase costs, holding costs, original search fees etc. If you double the original stock purchase cost, you make 100% profit. If you triple the original stock purchase cost instead of doubling, the item price rises by 1/3, but your profit actually doubles.

Since my post yesterday I have made several more sales including a bland looking little item. I researched it and found out it is over 150 years old. I priced it absolutely through the roof at 20 times what I paid for it. My wife had a bet with me that it would not sell at that price as it was nearly double the price of the next dearest one I had ever seen sold. Some-one in the U.K purchased and paid for it last night. Listing time 8 days.

In closing I have always believed the secret to selling on ebay is to find unique items that BUYERS ACTUALLY WANT TO BUY. If you can find them, half the work is done and they basically sell themselves.

Message 39 of 40
Latest reply

I was told a long long time ago, don't fall in love with the product you sell, it will eventually break your heart. I've seen this to be true many times with some people, friends too, who persist with a particular range of items because of some love or affinity they have with them. We are close to being in that same category, but hopefully will be able to quit our stock, private collections really, before it all turns  bum-up.

There is so much merit in what you say. The common sense and logic is all there. And as I mentioned before, we have some ideas, but sourcing becomes the issue. I'm sure though, as we devote more time to it, we'll find a life of selling after pipes, although it'll be a couple of years yet before we clear the many thousands of items we are holding.

We'll just keep looking. It's nowhere near urgent yet, but it's nice to have some idea of what tomorrow looks like before it arrives.

Actually, Giorgio's partner, Barry, lives the saying, one man's junk is another man's treasure and has an account where he sells all manner of things he comes across - car parts, bike parts, old fishing equipment, old tools, records, books, old cameras, just about anything really and most of it looks awfully junky to me, but he does very well with it. The oddest thing he's ever sold was an old gold coloured and damaged quart sized Esso oil can for $50 and on another occasion an old tomato packing crate from somewhere back in the war years. I'm not sure what he got for that, but it put a big smile on his face.

Anyway Chameleon, I chatter far too much. But it's been nice keyboarding with you. I've picked up some pointers from you and I'm sure others have. Thank you.

Melina.

Message 40 of 40
Latest reply