Managed Payments are here to stay; Ah Well... take it or leave it.

I have read on this forum that E bay have set up the Managed Payments, (MP), system with “Adyen”, registered with the Australian Banking system; and, that’s why formal id has to be submitted to use MP due to government regulations.

Many Forum contributors are saying that we had to give Pay Pal the same ID Info’. Really? I didn't have to give pay pal any formal ID, such as passport or licence, etc. just my bank account details.

So, if eBay didn't use Adyen, and went back to old system with PayPal, we would be able to operate as before? Trouble is, MP is not as smooth a system as before for some, in particular the small private seller. And, looks like MP is here to Stay. Although it would be nice if private small sellers were offered an option somehow.
Seems that E bay is doing MP for their own benefit and not necessarily ours? Fair enough, it’s their business and their rules. Sellers can take it or leave it.
I've stopped selling some time ago because of MP.
Best wishes to all.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Managed Payments are here to stay; Ah Well... take it or leave it.

I have a very long memory and I only provided Bank details to Paypal.  I joined in 2007.  I have never been asked by anyone EVER to upload a driver's Licence, birth certificate and any such document. Being especially aware of the security risk of doing these things, I would not have EVER done this. Paypal has NEVER asked for it from me either, so you are WRONG. Those of us with VERY long memories, know for absolutely certain that we NEVER gave out this information, nor were we EVER asked for it. What you are reading on the Paypal site, may be because requirements have now changed, this was not the requirements back in 2007. I suppose they used logic back then and knew that the person who opened the bank account had already provided proof of ID over the counter when opening the account.  After they allowed people to open bank accounts online without any proof of their address, I guess the dynamics changed. Someone managed to open a bank account using my address, and despite complaining to the bank, they would not do anything about it, claiming they had a responsibility to the account holder. Seeing as we built this house and only my family have ever lived here, this person is not even known to us in any way and can have no connection to this address. So now I guess, we are all stuck with this scenario of uploading personal details, because institutions stuffed up and allowed this sort of thing to happen. In conclusion, just because you think you are right and everyone else has a short memory, doesn't mean you are right, because in this case you are VERY VERY WRONG.

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

Paypal has always had the right and the ability to request additional information from account holders, and

over the years, it has even become relatively common for account holders, failing to comply with such requests, to have their account access blocked and funds frozen.

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

Well THANK YOU  shopping bag,

I'm glad someone can back up my story.

As I stated I was never asked by PayPal or Ebay for those details when I joined in 2012; and not asked since.

Further more I have always avoided doing this with any entity other than my bank, gvovernment agencies, etc.

I don't do direct debit, (except when pay pal has needed to draw funds from my pay pal dedicated debit  Bank account). I pay my bills bpay or Pay Pal. And when I go shopping I usually pay cash;  I rarely use my credit card, unless travelling OS and then pay off immediately; and, online banking only when I can't get to a branch., (I also never use my phone for any transactions).

Now call me old fashioned or behind the times, but I've never been effected by cyber hickups / attacks when they have occured. And, I have never been the victim of any scam or fraud.

In short I try to limit the number of other fingers in my accounts and personal Info'..

Having said that; This is the reason I will resist the Managed Payment system and if that means I can no longer sell on Ebay then, sadly, so be it. And, if E Bay stops using Pay Pal as a purchase option, I will also stop making purchases with E bay.

So good luck everyone, I hope the bugs in MP are sorted out, and you all do very well.

👍😊

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

@spudd57joe wrote:

As I stated I was never asked by PayPal or Ebay for those details when I joined in 2012; and not asked since.

😊

Like I said, the threshold was around AUD$10,000 - this is not an arbitrary figure, it was the amount set by anti-money laundering legislation, which has now changed. Everyone has to follow it though, (by which I mean businesses that process large sums of money). I won a $10k jackpot a couple of years ago, and the club wouldn't pay it out unless I gave them photo ID, which I didn't have at the time (sorted it out, but within all the laws and rules, but basically if the amount was under $10k, they didn't have the same ID requirements). 

This s a risk - reward scenario, I suppose. Knowing that multiple international entities have had scans of my photo ID and bank account numbers for around 10 years with zero incidents probably makes the risk feel pretty low to me; much lower than it would to someone else who has experienced a security risk due to the data they provided to someone else, anyway.  

Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

Why didn’t eBay list PayPal as one the payment options in the list, as majority of Oz sellers have a PayPal account, would have saved all the hassles 

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

eBay and PayPal parted company years ago and eBay are phasing out PayPal all together.

eBay have now joined forces with Adyen (Dutch company), hence the new managed payment system.

image host
Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

What I meant was as a pay out to option like the bank account also I know eBay has parted but they will be still linked as Buyers use PayPal to purchase , our sales are still being paid to PayPal at the moment, I’m not on MP yet 

eBay/ADyen should list it as one of the payout options as PayPal is a verified financial merchant 

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

@tickford-t3 wrote:

eBay/ADyen should list it as one of the payout options as PayPal is a verified financial merchant 

I have tried to research why they can not pay into a PayPal account (assuming all identity verification requirements can be met, which may not be the case at all since you technically just need an email address to open an account), but I can't really find a clear-cut reason. It is the same with all similar payment systems, though (i.e. payout to bank accounts only).

PayPal is classified as a financial institution in Australia but not in the same way banks are, which is why they can't offer services like credit (which they have in the US), ATM cards to access balances (which they either have or had in the US), don't pay interest on balances held, and so on (to be clear, though, payouts can only go into bank accounts in the US as well, same as every country they have MP in, so whatever rules or regulations are preventing it, it seems pretty universal). 

PayPal floated the idea of providing some sellers with a routing number to automatically redirect payouts to a PP account, but I don't know if they will ever introduce the option. It was meant to help solve the problem for sellers who used working capital loans, so was going to be made exclusively available to those sellers to enable them to continue having repayments made automatically - given PayPal's motivation appears to be to ensure their money gets repaid, rather than cater to the needs to preferences of a portion of their consumer base, I suspect if they ever do bring this in, it won't be extended beyond providing it to members who have a debt. 

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

Had a chuckle this morning.

A scream emanated from the other room from hubby, who is a sometimes seller.

"Ebay have caught up with me and this Managed Payments carp"

Thought I'd help him walk through it.

First question - BSB number

Second question - bank account number

Done.      Thank you.  You're now on Managed Payments.

He got off lightly          imastawka_0-1624952887385.gif

That was pretty much how it was for me too. I had all my ID out at the ready, and all they wanted was bank account details, so they could send funds there. I have never provided photo ID to either eBay or Paypal, only ever my bank details, or credit card details. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones!

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply