Need help to find re Aust Post delivering china parcels for free...

So, I happened to bump into my my new local candidate today for the first time and I was chatting to him and his team... I was on my way to deliver some C&S parcels and had vented about the price increase that we pay yet people from China can post for free... 

He was very interested and wants to know more... 

Can anyone please direct me to the right place to find the info on how Aust Post must deliver parcels from China and other countries even though the right postage amount has not been paid... 

Need this info asap and I am not sure where to look.. 

have searched through the threads here as there has been some great info but for the life of me I can't find the right threads... 

either a link to those threads or link to government sites would be fine... 

Message 1 of 45
Latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

"Australian sellers are at a complete disadvantage now, if the rest of the Asian exporters get on the bandwagon, we will become completely redundant. Our government needs to pass legislation that will put us on an equal footing."

I think you will find Julia Gillard is far more concerned about befriending the Chinese Government and Industry than she is about looking after small Australia Businesses on Ebay. Its nice that people think they can address this issue. Im afraid its also sad.

The day any politition even pretends to address this issue will be the day I insert my head up my own butt!

Message 11 of 45
Latest reply

try reading this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Postal_Union

Here's a little bit from that page:

The UPU established that:

1)  There should be a uniform flat rate to mail a letter anywhere in the world

2)  Postal authorities should give equal treatment to foreign and domestic mail

3)  Each country should retain all money it has collected for international postage.

Good luck with finding/backing any politician who would think they could do anything to cause changes to this universal agreement.  I guess any that does would fit the saying "How do you know when a politician is lying? Their lips are moving"

Message 12 of 45
Latest reply

Had a small parcel that I purchased delivered from China last week.  Officially postmarked with ¥000.00 postage cost. It seems they may be posting for free somehow, perhaps with some arrangement with their Post Office for overseas sellers, under a certain weight or something.

What needs to happen is for our government to step up to the plate here and do likewise - just thinking out loud here - allow Australian overseas sellers to post for free under a certain weight - issue us with a special overseas seller ID or something - we just take it to the PO, quote our number somehow, then it's posted for free.

Message 13 of 45
Latest reply

Can you please explain to me just how any other system would work?

Who is going to pay the difference and how is it going to be collected?

Millions of letters and parcels come in from all over the world every day, many will have cost less than domestic post, some will have cost more.

Any system for collecting more for  one parcel and refunding for another would be so complex that mail deliveries from overseas would grind to a halt.

The Chinese government are prepared to subsidise postage for overseas goods to bolster their economy by improving exports, you may be able to persuade some members that it would be a good idea for the Australian government to do the same but even if it did it would only apply to overseas sales.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 14 of 45
Latest reply

Free Postage!!

China is not offering free postage, the sellers have included the cost of postage in their costs. No country offers free postage.

I see a book from England with free postage recently, of course the cost is included in the item price. Sellers are just clever in their pricing and the buyer is hooked.

Message 15 of 45
Latest reply

Don't know if this article is of much help to you.

http://www.smartcompany.com.au/transport-and-logistics/049878-auspost-losing-70-million-a-year-on-international-pricing-structure.html

Message 16 of 45
Latest reply

Free Postage!!

China is not offering free postage, the sellers have included the cost of postage in their costs. No country offers free postage.

Absolutely, and just because there is no actual price on the parcel does not mean there was no payment made for it.  The AP prepaid satchels show no postage on them, and many other bulk posted parcels have no price. 

My C&S large parcels have only the basic price sticker put on it, while I pay the $3 extra for signature and then insurance = all up often  close to $10 more than the sticker shows.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 17 of 45
Latest reply

http://community.ebay.com.au/topic/Selling/Petition-Australia-Post/500163279?#msg605061442

try here on this thread. There are links to the relevant parts of the AP annual report and the UPU. The australian government (bureauocrat unknown) and not AP barter with the UPU each year for change.

The fact is that the USA imposed security restrictions that meant more screening was required that caused AP to charge a $9.00 surcharge instantly.... to wait for it... maintain their profit margin

.... yet they appear unable or unwilling to impose the same restrictions on incoming international mail (ie not accept the mail) which would cause the sending member country of the UPU to (possibly) impose a surcharge.

this would not lower australian prices but make them more comparable to the overseas rates.

Other member countries ignored the USA's requests but AP rolled over and took the profit but as their really is no profit for rthem in imposing sanctions on incoming small parcels under 2kgs... they pretend the option does not exist.

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 18 of 45
Latest reply

scotty*75
Community Member

LOL

What is you local candidate going to do about changing an international postal agreement??

Is he God or does he have a seat on the UN?

He's more like acting like he cares to get your vote..

Message 19 of 45
Latest reply

http://www.treasury.gov.au/PublicationsAndMedia/Publications/2012/Govt-Response-to-the-LVPP-Report/Government-Interim-Response

https://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=universal+postal+union+australian+government+delegate&oq=universal+postal+union+australian+government+delegate&gs_l=hp.12...849931.870781.3.872259.63.46.0.3.3.1.1835.24511.3j5-1j2j4j10.20.0...4.0...1c.1.14.psy-ab.ZT9IWzIu84Q&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46751780,d.aGc&fp=bd27b2646bbcded0&biw=1024&bih=609

UNIVERSAL POSTAL UNION: EIGHTH ADDITIONAL PROTOCOL ..

download the PDF above from the google link for some light reading to the agreed in principle  House of representatives proposals. The top link is also of some interest

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 20 of 45
Latest reply