New 'defects' system. New set of bull**bleep** rules to get our heads around.

Just a heads up peeps.

I looked at my defects through the seller dashboard today.

What a load of utter **bleep**.

I have been cancelling auctions rather than issuing non paying bidder strikes in instances where people request it, and maintain contact.

For my empathy and understanding these cancelled items which were in NO WAY MY FAULT now have been imposed as defects on my account, and accumulatively have me below standard for my next seller review in 2 days.

11 cancelled auctions- and only 1 was my fault, yet, there they are: a tarnished red cross against my name.

Ebay- soon there will be no sellers left here... and I will smile with glee when I open the financial review to see your stocks fall.

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Did you select buyer changed mind?

Apparently if you do, they shouldn't register as defects.

(Perhaps that's only relevant if it's only 2 or 3 in a short period)

image host
Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

Melbgame I really feel for you as most Sellers would. It's just not fair. You try and do the right thing for your Buyers and get smacked right across the head for it.

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

OP - very sorry to hear of your defects for looking after your customers. The system is very unfair and ebay have not done a very good job of informing sellers about the implications of the new system.

kopenhagen5 .........I have cancelled maybe a dozen transactions in the last couple of months using "buyer purchased by mistake or changed mind" as the reason and have not recieved any defects as a result, so it seems this is the option to use to avoid defects. These where all initiated by buyer requests, often after OS buyers find out how much the international post costs will be.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

That is so so wrong. I think that's why some sellers are now opting for the unpaid dispute rather than cancelling. It's safer and they know they won't cop a defect, regardless of which option is selected.

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

While I definitely have sympathy for you, the new system is totally unfair and stupid

I have cancelled 3 or 4 items, and have issues full refunds on two items, and none of these have resulted in defects

I think sellers need to be very aware of what options they select when they do anything. 

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

I had two defects for item not received, but the items were received. I asked eBay to remove the defects. The first time they told it couldn't be removed. I then emailed again requesting they be removed as the items were received and they have agreed to remove them. I would send a request to have them removed, and point out the but buyers emailed you requesting the cancellation, ask eBay to check through your messages, which will back up the buyer requests to cancel. It may take a few weeks for them to do it but hopefully they will agree to remove the defects.
Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

Thanks for your help guys. I just don't read ebay notification emails anymore- I just roll my eyes and put them in the trash. Indeed, it does reiterate the need to be pro active, as opposed to complacent (like me)  as a seller here.

I have been opting for the direct "cancel auction" avenue, rather than the "resolve a problem: cancel sale option/non paying bidder avenue." Why? Because many buyers are complacent, and often I have to wait until 7 days have passed for buyers who haven't responded to get refunds on FVF and buyers no longer fear the "3 strikes and you're out" scenario as it is no longer in place to reprimand buyers who abuse the system, and this is where the system fails in my opinion.

If ebay SIMPLY gave sellers the power to give 'negative feedback' again, ebay could return to the user firendly, equal, and accountable place it used to be.

The only problem was a minority was abusing the old feedback system, it was too much work and emphasis for ebay admin to deal with in the way of materialsed disputes, and moreover, when only buyers can give negative feedback, when there is no 'fair perception' in place, there is no wonder i do roll my eyes, as each ebay notification is something I shld be rolling my eyes at (and also reading whilst the eyes roll, I conceed). 

Completely bogus. It had been said audaciously before: we need to start a collective: perhaps we need to petition ebay to give sellers back their right to inform other sellers, to make ebay transparent and fair. Perhaps we could generate a blueprint for some online selling platform if only to scare ebay into listening to the needs of sellers, rather than just implementing more **bleep** that makes ebay look accountable, when it is far from that these days.

It is all about keeping up appearances, and sellers have to work to the bone in order to achieve it, even when it is well deserved.

Vent vent vent....blah blah. xo Have a good night all

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

Boy you have been out of the loop.

4 days to close an unpaid item case to get the fee back. And buyer gets a strike.

Blocks on accounts now means anyone with 2 or more strikes can't bid or buy.

(funny the number of ebayers that come here now complaining they can't bid) Karma. Smiley Happy

Problem with negs for buyers is that it doesn't stop them buying or bidding in the last few minutes of an auction, whether as the strikes do.

Set your blocks if you haven't. It weeds out certain buyers.

image host
Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

Unfortunately I found out the hard way that 2 Strikes doesn't work either. I listed an expensive item in the lead up to Xmas only to have a Smart Alec Ebay Vandal ruin it....

It had 14 Watchers on the 19th Dec. - A check of the Items history revealed somebody with 2 or more strikes had tried to purchase it 3 times on the 18th.....then.....On the 19th it was "Sold" but not paid for.....As soon as I saw the 0 Feedback I knew it was not going to be. So waited the 4 days to open UID, then another 4 days to close it, relisted the item......It was purchased that very afternoon by the same person  - i.e. same name, same address, but different Ebay ID (just a variation of the old one).

That time I phoned Ebay to report it but was told I'd have to go through the UID Process AGAIN !?!?!? - I did, but relisted the Item straight away....

In the meantime I set my Prefs to disallow Buyers with less than 5 Feedback with no Phone Verification. Trouble is in my game, a lot of my genuine Buyers will be affected & I loose even more.

In my opinion anyone with Feedback of less than 10 should have to pay immediately or Transaction is automatically disallowed, less than 50 &payment must be made within 24hrs. After that 48hrs max.

I know this may seem harsh but walk into any shop in the REAL world these days & ask for credit......see what the answer is.

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply