New payment method coming to eBay.

Received an email today that eBay will be introducing a new payment method from Adyen.

At first glance it seems it will be very similar to PayPal.

Hope they are not planning on phasing out PayPal.

The transition to full payments intermediation will be a multi-year journey. eBay will begin intermediation on a small scale in North America starting in the second half of 2018, expanding in 2019 under the terms of the Operating Agreement with PayPal. In 2021, we expect to have transitioned a majority of Marketplace customers to the new payments experience. 

image host
Message 1 of 63
Latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

I think I read somewhere where ebay is actually only about 13% of paypal transactions - or something close to that.

Message 21 of 63
Latest reply

wow, thanks so much for the comprehensive reply digi - that's loads more than i expected and really gives an insight. thanks heaps Smiley Happy

some really interesting things to consider there and it'll be interesting to see how it unfolds on ebay. seems daunting, but just have to wait and see i guess. 

Message 22 of 63
Latest reply

I, for one, am going to wait and see how this rolls out.  eBay has surely but steadily increased it's fees over the years, and I am sure this will be no exception.  Back in the day, my fees were about 4% of my final price, and there was no fee on shipping.  Now, it amounts to around 10%, INCLUDING SHIPPING COSTS.   Add in the cost of fees to Paypal, and fees are about 14% of final cost, including shipping.  I have started using other sales venues to get around these fees, and I don't plan to subsidize eBay any more than I already do.  There comes a point where you have to just say "enough" to excessive fees, and eBay has just about reached that point with me.

Message 23 of 63
Latest reply

Some of it's a fair way off.  From the link in the email that gives more detailed info it's got this:

eBay to Intermediate Payments on its Marketplace Platform

Message 24 of 63
Latest reply

We don't have sales tax in Australia, nor access to attornies general (we have 'independent' regulators), and I would prefer Dutch to US law any day, as I'm not mega rich.

Message 26 of 63
Latest reply

@lm-entertainment wrote:

wow, thanks so much for the comprehensive reply digi - that's loads more than i expected and really gives an insight. thanks heaps Smiley Happy

some really interesting things to consider there and it'll be interesting to see how it unfolds on ebay. seems daunting, but just have to wait and see i guess. 

Glad if some of it could help - I realised after I posted what a huge wall of text it turned out to be, and on reflection probably doesn't contain a huge amount of info, since a lot of it concerns the other site's policies that may or may not apply here. I was enjoying my morning coffee at the time, though, so got a little indulgent, lol. Smiley Embarassed

But the upshot is the prospect of such a payment system isn't too alarming, not yet anyway, since it also depends a bit on how much you can trust the companies running the show. 

I do wonder what the trickle down effects will be (eg does the move towards immediate payment required being experienced now have anything to do with this, will BIN without paying be possible at all once fully rolled out, if so where does that leave auctions, and will this checkout system make the cart more intuitive.... So many questions, with only vague and non-committal replies from ebay.  Smiley LOL

Message 27 of 63
Latest reply

> We don't have sales tax in Australia

Uh yeah we do, it's called the GST. A federal 10% sales tax, since 2001.

> nor access to attornies general

Uh yeah we do, Christian Porter MP.

Message 28 of 63
Latest reply

GST collection started 1st July 2000.

Message 29 of 63
Latest reply

well i found it very informative and it's interesting to hear how it works there and just get some insight into how it MIGHT be applied here. even though we're just clutching at straws right now :] 

i can't see those answers becoming any more committal until it is actually time haha. even once it has been rolled out, chances are a lot of ebay employees still won't know what's going on Smiley LOL

Message 30 of 63
Latest reply