Non Payers!!!

I Know, I know, we have all had non payers and people who "will pay" but I seem to be having more non payers or problems with buyers this past year than I have had in years - and I have had an eBay account since the late 90s, (with a different user name) And repeat non payers!!! How on earth do the get away with it?  I have since blocked a few non payers but there needs to be something else done to protect the sellers on eBay from thse time wasters. EBay reasons that it changed the rules on negative feedback from buyers to sellers to increase buyers therefore increasing postential sales - GREAT we just need them to pay up! I have missed several sales now due to non payers and by the time the 4 days, contact buyer deal is done, then the 8 day to pay time waster is through, buyers have gone elsewhere. Appologies for repeating the obvious but I needed to vent. Thanks for "listening" Cheers, Dave

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Non Payers!!!

Blocking buyers after they fail to pay is useless, you need to block them before they can buy.  Do you have your general blocks set up?  In Site preferences under Buyer requirements, set it to block all buyers who have had two NPB disputes against them in the last 12 months,  if you do this you won't have to worry about repeat NPBs, they simply will not be able to buy from you.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

As penny says, you can also block members with a low feedback score that are NOT phone verified.

This eliminates accounts quickly set up to either annoy competition or noobs forgetting about it, after purchase is made.

They simply can't bid or buy from you.

image host
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Thanks for the messages. I have put a few buyers on my blocked list and changed the settings to those suggested. Cheers

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

by all means keep those blocks in place, but I think non payers seem to be just part of the selling practice now.

I seem to get them all the time on one account or another, or several at the same time. 

Really annoying, but not a lot you can do about it.  

Maybe we need to give them an incentive to pay quickly. If you have lots of cheap little things you could tell your buyers that fast payment gets a free one or something like that. You would have to make sure you didn't lose, so perhaps just do this on more expensive items. Anyway just an idea, something has to get them to pay.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Niche selling?

I get some, but haven't had one for many months.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Not a bad idea but I think the non payers are just time wasters who will theive oxygen regardless of the incentivesoffered.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

surfajo
Community Member

Yep, I'm in the same boat. I have had two "non-payers" for the same item. I am selling a car and I put it on EBay. Within two days I had an "Item Sold" notification. Did the usual thing - send invoice / congratulate buyer on purchase. No response for a couple of days so emailed again. After 3 days I got an email back saying "I don't want item anymore". I cancelled the transaction and relisted the item. Received another "Item Sold" notification. This time I was pretty sure the person was another dud.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

My sister & I have found some ebay bidders lately have been real pains, they bid on items without taking the slightest notice of the ad and then take offence if you expect them to abide by the terms of the ad & actually pay the listed amount.

I don't think there is an answer at present, I think some people can be serial non payers & still stay on ebay, so unless you have blocks in place, you could strike them. 

And even then, there are some clever ways for these people to get away with it and still avoid a non payment strike, so some of them can dodge under the radar.

The only solution that I can see is for ebay to revamp a lot of the sales listings-maybe for all buy it now items-so that no matter what is put in someone's cart, unless it is paid for immediately, it is not theirs.

This would bring ebay into line with most other online sales sites such as Groupon, Catch of the Day etc

This would mean a seller who opted to have Buy it now items would never have the dilemma of unpaid items or be left with sales items removed from sale & unable to be relisted for 8 days.

Most items now do seem to be Buy it now, so bringing that in for all of them would put a spanner in the works of the nuisances who seem to think it is fine to bid now, decide later.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

There is an option for you to force immediate payment.

But doing this means that if someone wants to buy multiple items they have to pay for each one individually thus attracting and extra 30-cent transaction fee from PayPal for each separate payment.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply