Not getting many views, what am I doing wrong?

Hi I'm new to reselling and focusing on pre-loved Women's clothing. 

I have done alot of research into other sellers and how they sell their items. I have tried to base my prices, photos etc on many other successful seller accounts. Obviously i have a huge amount left to learn!

I'm wondering if I could get some advice on increasing views on my items? any help would be appreciated. My user name rosewood_clothing 

Thank you! 

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Not getting many views, what am I doing wrong?

Sometimes it's not so much cross-dressing as getting dressed in an angry way because the design isn't as slimming as she'd hoped...?

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

I think you've picked a hard category.

Right back when ebay was new in Aust, I would sometimes look at clothing. There were no big shops on ebay, it was just private sellers and mostly in Australia, as I recall. And sometimes people would sell off something that still had tags or if they had some of those home party brand items that were still new, sell off last season's things cheaply.

But I don't think I have bought anything like that in years, because those companies now have their own online sales sites with clearance lines etc

I have bought the occasional second hand items in children's clothing.

For a while, my sister & I also sold things on ebay, often that included women's & children's clothing. Our experience was that we mainly got interest in 'good' brands. Anything ordinary, we may as well not have wasted our time listing.

We also did better selling good items singly, with a clear description. There were a couple of times we tried bundling some good brand items without any interest. break them up though, and got more singly than for the bundle! People like to feel they are buying something exclusive & good quality.

I was going to say, in any title always put the brand name and size but I think you already do that.

It is going to come down to the audience you are aiming at & if they would regularly think to look on ebay for those brands.

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

Best suggestion I can make is to include measurements. Clothing sizes are so variable, even within a brand, that simply providing the size marked on the item is not enough for a potential buyer to gauge whether it will fit .

For example, your Banana Republic top - the only sizing indicated is Size "Petite" XL - what does this mean? You need to measure across the bustline from armpit to armpit and supply this measurement (or doubled for complete measurement). I also provide length of garment, especially with skirts and pants.

I don't think you need to use a mannequin but it probably helps. At least you are not lying clothes out on the floor as I have seen some sellers do - which is an immediate turnoff for me. I also think your plain cream background is perfect - any patterns or textures would detract from the garment. (sorry Chameleon).

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

The reality is barely anyone uses ebay anymore - i know i NEVER buy anyomre on ebay, still run a few listings but the money is all on facebook - fellow from work needed a motorbike jacket the first point of call was facebook-he didn't even look on ebay or gumtree and he found what he was looking for instantly at the right price and delivered not to mention fee free for the seller.  I had two sales the other day but just thinking i'm sick of the fees and charges not to mention the worry about scammers (one buyer was a zero feedback).  I will give you an example - i ran an ad for a macbook+ipad+ipod- the whole lot for $80 on ebay - had about 100 views on item over four weeks and din't sell on ebay-put it on facebook 254 views in 2 hours and on the fourth hour item sold fee free and worry free and no silly paypal charges or risk of chargebacks etc.

You can keep hoping to increase view but i think the horse has bolted big time on here.

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

Hi chameleon54

You have given me hope thanks for all the information kind regards upthearts6

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

I get where you're coming from with facebook buy/swap/sell sites but my experience on them is that some of the people are feral. I know that's a bit rough to say that, but it's true.

You're correct though, you do get a lot of views, but people also make what i would call cheeky/rude offers (eg i had some charcoal carpet runners, as new, advertised @ $25 which was under half the price I paid, and immediately I was offered.. $10. Well, no thank you.

I have also seen other people's items or prices attacked, usually by people who aren't interested in buying it anyway, just want to stick their nose in to say it's too dear or bad condition or whatever.

Plus, people on facebook expect everyone to be on their smartphone 24/7. Too bad if you only access a computer 2 or 3 times a day, that's not enough.

For those reasons, ebay is a lot more peaceful.

I think there's a place for all the sites-FB, gumtree (though that seems to be dropping off as far as people searching on it, unfortunately) and ebay.

PS Something my sister & I discovered on ebay years back too, was with clothing, especially if it isn't all that dear, a lot of people are happier to have it posted, pick up can embarrass them. This isn't true of everything or kid's clothing but seems to be true of some women's wear & shoes etc. Postage is more anonymous. So ebay will win out in some categories of clothing is my guess.

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

@upthearts6 wrote:

Hi chameleon54

You have given me hope thanks for all the information kind regards upthearts6

My teenage daughter has been buying clothes from our favorite op shop and selling them on another site that targets the trendy teenage market. ( i,m not allowed to name it here ). I have been getting her out of bed by 8.30 Sunday mornings to get there for the 9 am. opening and scouring the racks with her to find the best items.

The things that seem to sell best on her site are vintage ( 1980,s ) sportswear from well known brands, genuine retro and vintage such as 1960,s & 70,s coats, jumpers, mini skirts, disco wear etc.( in season ) , Brand name jeans, such as vintage Levis or very modern expensive brands of jeans, unusual coloured items such as bright red quality jackets & jeans, and general expensive teenage fashion such as Doc Martin boots etc..

Her market is other young trendy teenagers, but many of the same principles could apply to an older market. Basically either very good quality clothes or very unusual items. The daughter has got herself a part time job now so slowed down on the clothes selling, but it was working reasonably well for her.

Spoiler
Especially as she " borrowed " dads express post satchels to mail the items and dad would often pick up the tab at the OP shop......Smiley Very Happy
Spoiler
To be fair, we dont give her a lot of spending money, preffering to help her earn her own money from her clothes site. She's learned some good life skills from the excercise and picked up some nice items for her own wardrobe at the same time...
Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

Well, I don't really know what I'm doing either and only opened my store last July, but just some thoughts...

1. It is a quiet time for a lot of sellers right now.

2. I may be wrong but your feedback score seems to be 6. If that is true, I'd be assuming that once you get more feedback numbers happening, there'll be more trust from buyers. I myself have been a regular ebay buyer since 2002 so already had several hundred 100% positive feedback behind me when I opened my store, even if the majority is as a buyer.

3. As an ebay buyer, I shop in one of two ways. I either search specifically for a brand name such as say Zimmermann or Dotti. Thus, as a seller, when I buy my items from op shops, 90% of the time I only buy brands that I know, and ideally brands that are either very generically popular (Ally, Dotti, Valleygirl) or the better brands that you might see in Myer like Basque or Sheike, or other brands like Zimmermann, Michael Kors, Guess, Alannah Hill and such. Often hard to find and beware of fake items like fake Gucci t-shirts or fake Michael Kors, etc.

So anyway, my line of thinking, at least partially, is if I've never heard of the brand, maybe others won't have either so they won't search for it on ebay.

The other way I shop is to not care about brands and just look for what I want, and use keywords like "blue halterneck maxi dress". Then I browse through whatever comes up after refining according to size, etc.

4. I think your photos are good.

5. I don't know most of your brands but that may be me being stupid. lol

6. I do recognise your Sportscraft and Dotti and the several Autograph items you've got. One tiny thing I might mention is just in my own opinion, when I have listed Autograph clothes, I never describe them as "loose fitting" or "oversized" or "plus size" or those things. Maybe that's to my detriment, but I think if people are looking for Autograph, they already know those clothes are larger sizes, and for that brand, a size 18 isn't overly big and also may not actually be loose fitting for every size 18 potential buyer.

I sell all sizes in my shop from size 6 to size 22 and when describing the larger sizes, and having to choose whether to select "oversized" or "relaxed fit" etc, I have to remind myself that on ME they would be, or if they're a size 10 item and are slouchy then they would be, but for the person it's for, it isn't probably going to be oversized and it may just fit them perfectly.

However, if people are looking for "plus size" clothes and don't know any brands, then mentioning some kind of keyword about that may be smart. Or maybe just the size itself would be enough.

7. Your descriptions need to say more. Measurements are everything. Would you walk into a shop and pick up a top in whatever your size might be and not try it on? Probably not. Ebay buyers have no choice and can only go by photos and measurements to compare to their own clothes. I, for instance, range from a size 6 to 14 depending on the brand and the make of the garment. I've also come across several instances of tops or dresses being almost EXACTLY the same measurements but one was a size 10 and one was 16. What!? Another lovely dress I have currently listed says size 16 but no. It may say that, but it would fit me as a general size 10 and my size 16 friends would not fit into it. So I put the measurements there as usual, but also tried to make it more clear that this dress seems small for its size and to please note the measurements.

I have babbled on too much. Basically, your shop looks good. I would just get some more stock, ideally more of the better known brands, and just be patient and wait. It does take a while to get more buyers and this time of year is hard.

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply