Parcel was damaged but buyer refused to take it back to the post off

a4245-65
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I have recently sold a bottle of used perfume. Because of the terrible handlings by  Australia Post in the past, I purchased extra insurance and Signature on Delivery at my own expenses. I also suggested the buyer to open up the parcel in the post office to make sure the perfume is not damaged (she uses a Post Office address as her delivery address).

The parcel was delivered on 10 Feb. On the  following day, the buyer contacted me and said the package was leaking but she didn’t notice when picking up because she had several parcels. I replied within five minutes and told her not to open the parcel. Just take it back to the post office and tell the staff about what happened. They would fill a damaged report and giver her a reference number. I’ll then process a full refund to her. 

The buyer did not respond to my message or take the parcel back. On 16 February, without any further communication, she opened a case and asked for a full refund. I left her several messages and said that I have purchased full insurance. She doesn’t need to worry about dealing with Australia Post as it is my responsibility. I will refund her the full amount but what she needs to do first is to take the parcel back to the post office so I can claim compensation.

But she just wouldn’t reply or return the parcel. 

I have also contacted eBay, who suggested me to wait until 21 February or to provide the buyer with a return postage label even though I explained to eBay why the buyer does not need to send the parcel back to me.

This whole thing just seems really odd to me as most buyers would like to solve the matter ASAP. It normally doesn’t take this long for them to return the parcel. They would at least leave me a message if they couldn’t do it within a reasonable time.

It was lucky that I took a full video when packing up. I also took some photos when dropping off at the post office.

Has anyone came across similar situations before? I really don’t know what I should do now.

Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Yes, it is a bit odd because if she always picks up the parcels from the post office, it shouldn't be too difficult for her to go to the post office again, and she probably goes regularly.

Maybe she has opened the parcel?

Has she provided any photos of the leak?

Message 2 of 59
Latest reply

Screenshot_20230220-065735_Chrome.jpg

Message 3 of 59
Latest reply

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, she did send me a photo. The perfume was sold for $380 plus shipping. Normally, it just wouldn’t take this long for the buyer to return or respond. Not sure if this is some sort of new scam.

Message 4 of 59
Latest reply

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, you are right. We can’t send perfume overseas because it is inflammable and classified as ‘dangerous goods’. However, within Australia, the perfume is permitted to be transported by road, so we can post perfume using Standard Post, but not Express Post.

Message 5 of 59
Latest reply

I think there is a strong possibility that even if she takes it back to the PO, you won't be able to claim insurance on it. All insurance companies, including the PO service, will get out of paying if they possibly can and unfortunately, you posted a prohibited item.

Even if she opened it in a PO, they could always say the packaging wasn't adequate in any case.

I don't know about anyone else, I can only speak for myself, but if a seller suggested I open a parcel in the PO, I probably would not comply. 

You say you're surprised that the buyer doesn't want to solve the problem asap. I think she does.

She is suspicious because even before the item arrived, you were telling her to open it at the PO in case she needed to submit a claim. She's wondering if maybe the lid was potentially faulty and you knew it.

Now you're telling her she will get a refund only after she returns the parcel to the PO.

She isn't sure how that will work out, so she's going the sure route, through ebay. I can tell you now, I'd probably do the same.

Give up trying to persuade her to take it to the PO.

I don't see what else you can do except refund her but before doing so, perhaps ask her to send you a photo of the damage and leaking. Tell her you will issue a full refund.

Edit: Just read in another post she has already sent you a photo.

Just refund, in that case. Nothing to be gained by dilly dallying around.

Message 6 of 59
Latest reply

Oh no.....you've chosen NEW without box for your listing.....but in your description you've said USED and 80mls missing.

Buyer may not have even read the description.

I think you've made an expensive error, sorry

Message 7 of 59
Latest reply

@twyngwyn wrote:

Oh no.....you've chosen NEW without box for your listing.....but in your description you've said USED and 80mls missing.

The description also says that it comes with the original box. It looks like the OP selected the wrong option when creating the listing, as it is used with the original box rather than new without the box. I don't think that used with the original box exists as an option, but yes, it should have been "used".

Message 8 of 59
Latest reply

@twyngwyn wrote:

Not to mention that it not only says new without box, the description then says original box included. Either it has a box, or it doesn't!

Then we have another new without box, that is actually used, that also comes with a box apparently.  https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/385423166418?hash=item59bd02cbd2:g:Og0AAOSwWERjx4gZ

I'm wondering why the OP isn't displaying the number of their dangerous goods licence, that you need, to be able to post perfumes. I'm also wondering how many of their other "new without box" items are in fact new. Like, who wouldn't want a used lip gloss? BAWAHAHAHA. 

Spoiler
EEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

Message 9 of 59
Latest reply

Save yourself a whole lot of grief, simply accept the return and issue a return label.  It is then up to the buyer to return your item.

Extra insurance! .....  If the item was not packed to AP specifications, insurance is useless.

Message 10 of 59
Latest reply