Poor image quality

Has anyone else noticed their image quality degrades, mostly the colours are duller if you list your item using the app? It doesn’t seem to happen using the website but it takes twice as long doing so. Accurate colours are important to my listings
Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Poor image quality

Hi,

Having looked at your pictures, I can see that you have actually put some thought into the background when you took your pictures, and they don't look bad. In fact compared to some of the pictures on ebay, they are pretty good, but they can be improved some more.

You are right in that the actual colour of the fence is fairly neutral, in fact some photo editing programs have grey as an option when editing. The problem is that it is not a uniform single colour, it is pattened and that makes your plants somewhat blend in. While grey is neutral, white is generally considered better, especially when photographing something that has shades of white in it, so that people can see how much it differs to white.

I have included 2 pictures of the cheap **bleep**py light box I made out of some cardboard boxes, a white LED light and some plain cardboard sheets. Ignore the fact that I break a cardinal rule about white backgrounds, I'm going for a theme for my store. I do still have a white sheet that I use when I really need it, like my cream coloured high heels.

The purple cardboard goes from horizontal to vertical with a curve, rather than at right angles, this makes it very hard to tell where the floor ends and the wall begins. What that means is that the background falls away and you focus just on the object.

The reason I use a big long light is that the light hits the object from several different directions at once which minimises shadows, if I had used something like a desk lamp, that has a single point of light, there would be a big shadow on the other side of the object. I should also stick some white paper to the boxes I am using as a light stand, because when the light bounces of the brown cardboard, the light gets a little browner than it should be. Also, having white surfaces for the light to reflect off would further reduce the shadow problem,

Obviously this type of thing is only good for your smaller plants, but for your bigger ones, you might want to try a big clean white sheet and sow a dozen fishing sinkers to each of 2 ends of the sheet. you could then hang it over the fence without it easily blowing away. Also, take your pics in the morning before the wind picks up.

IMG_20190123_215327.jpg

IMG_20190123_220645.jpg

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

mull8x5
Community Member

I am not a frequent ebay seller, but never have any issues with photo quality with my listings,

but as a retired professional photographer I feel that many listers haven't a clue about the best shot of a product they are listing to show their wares in the best possible light, in terms of  view, lighting etc

Snap snap and hope for a sale it seems.

They do say that a picture (good maybe) is worth a thousand words.

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply