Postage tracking showing no events....where has my parcel gone?!

Thank goodness I already knew the boards were here to actually ask this, good one ebay.

So as the title states, where on earth is my parcel?

First item sold and sent after not being a buyer or seller on ebay for about 5 years. Regular pre-paid 500g satchel, and tracking was uploaded to buyers details. Funds are held by PP thanks to the new rules, but that's a whooollle other vent.

Thought I'd check last night to see how far away it was (buyer hasn't said anything, I just wanted to see), and am kicking myself for not checking earlier. The damn thing shows no events! No scanning, nothing.

It was posted via a red post box outside the local p/o last Tuesday. It was at lunchtime so it would have been taken that day when the box was emptied.

Obviously I'll ring Aus Post but I can't put in a missing parcel query as it's not yet long enough to be considered missing. But how on earth do I chase up something that isn't even showing as posted?!

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Postage tracking showing no events....where has my parcel gone?!

Apologies....can't edit to add this in!

Parcel was posted in the p/o box MONDAY, which was a public holiday. It would have been collected on Tuesday, as the box was emptied Monday. So definitely went in with Tuesday's mail.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

That is one of the downfalls of posting with satchels you have no proof of lodgement if posting in the boxes. I never post anything in red post boxes.
I think you are just going to have to sit tight and keep your fingers crossed you don't get the dreaded "where's my parcel" message. sometimes tracking doesn't happen for whatever reason staff too lazy, parcel slipped through etc.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

If it was posted in a red box then the first scan probably won't show until it reaches it's destination Post Office which will probably be on the day it is due to be delivered.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Agree, if you want tracking with Red post bags, you do really need to go to the PO and have it scanned.

I will add that on a couple of Red post bags, the time lag for updating is a while. I posted one on Tuesday at the PO,

came up next day in transit, and is till like that today.

Howvever the buyer left feedback on Sunday evening so she obvoiously has it. It would / should have got there on Friday.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member
I strongly suggest that if you're going to use street boxes to post parcels, you log on to the AP site, enter the tracking number, and request tracking updates by email. I do it with all of my parcels, even though I only ever lodge them at my LPO, as I like to be kept apprised of their progress, right up until they're delivered.

In your case, the first recorded tracking event probably won't occur until your item has been scanned into the destination DC, prior to its being allocated to the driver (or postie) for delivery, which could take up to 3 or 4 days, depending upon here it's going, but at least you'll know that it's finally arrived.
Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Phew...thank you so much everyone, that's what I had started hoping - that it simply isn't coming up until ready for delivery. I'm in Tas so knew the buyer likely wouldn't have had it yet, and I've specified in my listings (as well as in messages) that it can take a few days longer coming from here.

She hasn't asked yet, but I'll give it a few more days with fingers crossed!

cq_tech, do you mind if I ask how I do that? I initially just checked via clicking on the tracking number I'd entered for the buyer, and I also signed up on AP. Currently it just takes me to the page where tracking is already displayed, which is where it shows no events. 

Does entering it manually mean you can track the satchels if using the p/o box, or will I need to lodge it over the counter each time?

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

I always lodge parcels over the counter so I can get the lodgement receipt. This receipt is your proof of lodgement in the event of a dispute.

If you go thru the red street boxes you get no receipt and hence you cannot prove you lodged it. And since there are no tracking events (as you see in this case) if it gets lost its just your word you put it into a red street box.

On the other hand most of our items go out as large letter, hence no tracking.

So we awlays put those into our local red street box.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

@punkybird_indiebee wrote:

cq_tech, do you mind if I ask how I do that? I initially just checked via clicking on the tracking number I'd entered for the buyer, and I also signed up on AP. Currently it just takes me to the page where tracking is already displayed, which is where it shows no events. 

Does entering it manually mean you can track the satchels if using the p/o box, or will I need to lodge it over the counter each time?

For AP's delivery advisory service, its irrelevant where the parcel is lodged or posted. What eventually happens is that you will receive an email from AP when the parcel is due to be delivered, then another when it has been delivered, but nothing before or in between.  However, if posted in a street box, it will take a hell of a lot longer for any tracking events to show up when you manually enter the number on their site.

Lodging over the counter is clearly the best method as you immediately have proof of posting (or delivery under the deeming rules) so you are covered straight away. You will also receive updates on each occasion that there is a tracking event logged.  By posting in a street box, your only proof will be the email you receive from AP to say that the parcel is about to be delivered, so if it goes missing before then, you are essentially stuffed.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Thanks so much cq_tech, seems I have a lot to learn about in regards to AP!

I have an update....but now am seriously p*ssed at AP.

I checked on the tracking last night after calling them Monday to see if any info was available at all. AP said no, nothing showing yet, and reiterated what you've said cq_tech.

Surprise surprise, the parcel was showing as scanned. The issue? It was showing it had been scanned Monday about one hour after I had rung AP, and was damn well showing it had be LODGED then. It showed as being lodged here in Hobart, and was at the Mornington sorting centre about 10 minutes down the road.

So my parcel has been "missing" for 7 days, and has not even left Tasmania yet! Because it has been shown as being lodged on Monday, what's the bet the date stamp shows Monday the 2nd, rather than Monday the 26th? So to my buyer it'll look like I posted it a whole week after I said I had.

I'm not happy, this is the 7th parcel in 12 mths that has gone "missing" at the Mornington centre, and the 6th to suddenly appear after I've rung AP to query it.

I've sent a message to the buyer explaining things, and I just hope she believes me, mainly because I sent a message to her originally about being worried it hadn't scanned. I've asked her if she could possibly let me know what date it is stamped. If it wasn't stamped until the 2nd, then I'm putting in a complaint about the sorting centre along with the info of the previous items that went walkabout when there.

Grrr...my first sale in years and I look like a liar thanks to AP 😞

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply