Prices of postage is why to high. Could it be monitored?

bellee78
Community Member

I have been buying sewing patterns on ebay recently and have noticed the postage prices vary quite abit. And when I have recieved them there has been 2 or 3 x 60Cent stamp on them and I have been charge $2.00. I know it's not much but do that for awhile to so many people and your making a nice little profit. It would be good to have a basic link with the price of postage in our own and around the world, then we can determine wether to buy the item or not, and this may also make the some of the sellers pull their heads in with over charging on postage. If they want to see a item for a certain amount then put a reserve on it and not make up the differance on postage.

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Prices of postage is why to high. Could it be monitored?

Did you even read my post?? Not sure who your response was directed to, but certainly it had nothing to do with the point I was raising - that there are sellers out there who are abusing the eBay rules and guidelines and getting away with it. How eBay can justify postage fees of over $100 and allow these sellers to continue is beyond me. Did you even look into the item number I left as an example?

Message 11 of 31
Latest reply

@johnnyd2007 wrote:

Did you even read my post?? Not sure who your response was directed to, but certainly it had nothing to do with the point I was raising - that there are sellers out there who are abusing the eBay rules and guidelines and getting away with it. How eBay can justify postage fees of over $100 and allow these sellers to continue is beyond me. Did you even look into the item number I left as an example?

A lot of members are still very used to clicking reply on the last post in a thread when responding in general to the OP, as unless you were quoting someone, there was nothing to indicate you were responding to anyone in particular and unless the poster wrote something to clearly indicate a response to someone, it was usually just a global response to the OP - the "in reply to" appearing on posts is a relatively new thing on the forum. It can be a bit confusing, but I think PJs response was to the OP rather than you. 

Re: your original post - eBay doesn't justify a seller's charges at all, and if you read the info at the link about excessive P&H, you'll see:

eBay will rely on member reports and other resources to determine whether or not a sellerโ€™s postage, handling, packaging, and/or insurance charges are excessive, inaccurate, misleading, unreasonable or unnecessary.

I'm guessing the other resources might be quotes and other pricing info from the postal / courier services the seller specifies.

I may be a bit cynical, but I wouldn't be surprised if eBay is glad for the kind of outrage this kind of practice causes - from what I've seen, it makes some people encourage and glad for FVF being charged on P&H (which now happens in the UK and US), but ultimately (on average) just increases the price of goods on eBay and subsequently eBay's profits.

Message 12 of 31
Latest reply

Wow at other peoples responses to this post though i do agree $2.00 postage isn't unreasonable.

To the OP: 2 stamps cost $1.20 and 3 stamps cost $1.80 and if the seller is charging you $2 for postage that means they are only charging you 0.80 - 0.20cents for handeling.

Postage cost's go on weight and dimensions for the envelope, have you weighed your patterns, i own sewing patterns too though i have never weighed them to see if they match the weight limit for postage costs. Maybe if you have kitchen scales you can weigh the folded pattern in it's packaging and then see if it matches the stamps required for that weight limit and then determine if you are being ripped off or have just made an assumption.

Also if you feel that the postage cost is too high, then maybe it isn't in your best interests to buy on ebay from sellers who don't offer free postage and would prefer to purchase patterns from a store instead or another online store other than ebay and see what they charge for postage to work out what is the better deal for you.

Based on the information of my Australia Post stamp pack:

For small letters the weight limit is 250g and requires 1x60cents stamp.

For Large Letters:

Up to 125g 2x60cents requires stamp
Over 125g up to 250g requires 3x60cents
Over 250g up to 500g requires 5x60cents stamps.

So there is the weight information if you would like to work it out for yourself but please don't make assumptions that sellers profit from P&H because most sellers don't and i personally i have underestimated P&H and ended up paying more out of my pocket.

Message 13 of 31
Latest reply

@bellee78 wrote:

I have been buying sewing patterns on ebay recently and have noticed the postage prices vary quite abit. And when I have recieved them there has been 2 or 3 x 60Cent stamp on them and I have been charge $2.00. I know it's not much but do that for awhile to so many people and your making a nice little profit. It would be good to have a basic link with the price of postage in our own and around the world, then we can determine wether to buy the item or not, and this may also make the some of the sellers pull their heads in with over charging on postage. If they want to see a item for a certain amount then put a reserve on it and not make up the differance on postage.

ummm Australia Post prices are available online

google.gif

I'd supply a link, but I've already embarrassed myself enough in this thread.....

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 14 of 31
Latest reply

@retailtherapist_8 wrote:

@crikey*mate wrote:

This isn't gonna end well

OP - you may want to read this link on Excessive Postage and Handling Policy

hahahhaha kudos just for stating the obvious......Smiley LOL

*taps foot expectantly*

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 15 of 31
Latest reply

@crikey*mate wrote:

I'd supply a link, but I've already embarrassed myself enough in this thread.....

Just do what I do, and embrace / run with it... with every fibre of your being.

yayy

๐Ÿ˜‰

Message 16 of 31
Latest reply

WOW. So glad you haven't bought from me. I sell sewing patterns and my postage costs are either $1.50 or $2.00 depending on the size and weight of the pattern. If I drive for 20 minutes to the nearest officeworks I can get B5 envelopes for 13 cents each, otherwise about 7 minutes away by car is a kmart which I can buy C4 (which aren't the ideal size) for 20 cents each if they have them in stock. I also combine my postage so that the buyer pays the least amount possible. I also put the pattern in a thin plastic bag before putting it in the envelope and sealing it with sticky tape so that I can get it to my buyers as quickly as possible and I've done my best to make sure it arrives undamaged.

Also take a moment to think about the fact that you probably buy them online because either you don't want to pay full retail price for patterns, or you don't live near a retail store, or you want something out of print. All of my patterns are well below the RRP and that includes the postage, so please tell me, do you want us to offer free postage but then charge RRP? Also sewing patterns are not a high cost item, sellers are not making much money at all from them. I hate to break it to you but after excessive ebay fees and buyers who send it back because they didn't read the listing and thought they were getting a dresss, we probably make a couple of bucks a pattern. So excuse me if I don't want to take the price of the envelope out of that couple of bucks. Just had a nice addition to my BBL!

Message 17 of 31
Latest reply

Perhaps ask at the Post Office for their Booklet, "Post Charges". I have always found this a great help, takes a while to understand and get used to using it, but heaps of basic info in there. New one is released when Post charges go up so just keep getting the latest one and keep handy. The one I have atm is dated 8/4/2013, so will probably be a new one released soon. Might be a good reference for you?   

Message 18 of 31
Latest reply

Sorry forgot to add that it is Free.

Message 19 of 31
Latest reply

I noticed you haven't come back to reply but I hope you have been reading the responses to your post.

All your sellers who you have recently purchased off provided you with excellent postage costs , in fact they probably have some loss as they didn't appear to charge the actual Australia Post cost nor anything for the packaging.

You left rating replies to say you were happy . You have nice patterns , and at a good price . What more do you want ? If they had said "Free Postage" but the patterns had been slightly more expensive ( going by the rule there is no such thing as Free Postage) would that be better for you ?

I hope you gave your sellers full start ratings , and maybe next time you buy something you allow some leaway for sellers to at least cover their materials and postage 

Message 20 of 31
Latest reply