Return because it is not comfortable?

I sold a 'luxury' bra from a reputable manufacturer and now the buyer want's to return it because it is 'scratchy' and doesn't sit right.

I have read all the reviews and all are good comfort-wise bar one person who said it rubbed her nipples after several hours but qualified this by saying she had super sensitive skin and it would be fine for most.

I have a no return policy for hygiene reasons - would being 'scratchy' or not fitting right qualify for a defect? I guess if it comes down to it, the question is will eBay support this defect claim? Buyer has a high feedback number and seems to know the system well, paid just hours before a NPB claim and has made some quite snarky responses in her feedback.

Being quite new to selling, but not to eBay would appreciate some other perspectives please!

Message 1 of 56
Latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Just as a point of fact, and for future reference, based on what the buyer has said about the bra, they do not have a right to a refund for change of mind (unless your listings said you'll accept them, which you didn't so that's not an issue).

If the buyer opens a request and selects a change of mind reason, you can decline the request if you would like to and eBay will not force a return or refund.

If the buyer thinks not liking fabric type / feel or how something fits = faulty, they might benefit from being pointed in the direction of a consumer site that shows these are not considered faults, but amount to change of mind.

Message 21 of 56
Latest reply

rose I can assure they DO NOT side with the buyer the moment a dispute is escalated to ebay.

I have a dispute that has been escalated to ebay and it will take a 7 to 10 days to decide the outcome even with photos that the item is not as described as the photos show completely different story to that of the description.

So buyers do have to fight for a dispute to be in their favour.

That is why I said the to OP to fight it as the item has been worn for several hours, it can not be returned in unworn unused condition so it is not in the condition it was sent,  the seller can not resell underwear that has been worn, the buyer has said they like the item but after several hours of wear it is not comfortable, that is not the fault of the seller.

So they can not go for item not as described and should not win

Message 22 of 56
Latest reply

Please all, read back....the item has NOT been worn for several hours....that was an online comment made about that particular bra ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 23 of 56
Latest reply

@twyngwyn wrote:

Please all, read back....the item has NOT been worn for several hours....that was an online comment made about that particular bra ๐Ÿ™‚

That's true, but she has still worn it to know that it's scratchy and doesn't sit right. Therefore, it's now considered to be used.

Message 24 of 56
Latest reply

What about bras tried on in real shops....are they considered used?
Message 25 of 56
Latest reply

Either way, if the item smells of perfume or sweat or has makeup on it, I will not resell it as new. I probably wont be able to anyway as I don't want to risk another return for NAD because I as I stated in the auction it was the only one. 

Bras can be sold as used according to the Used Clothing Policybut I feel like it will devalue my lingerie listings if I have a mix of new and used.

Message 26 of 56
Latest reply

Has the buyer said yet whether it is in the same condition as sold to her? If she has, I would take her word for it, accept return & move on....she could become one of your best customers ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 27 of 56
Latest reply

sparklz - I am glad that you see Ebay as working things out for you.

I have a number of selling IDs and my experience has been very different than yours.

I think it important that anyone coming to these boards for help needs to know that sellers have had different experiences with the same system.
You say you have an esculated dispute that it not yet decided.

I have had an esculated dispute, that with my 12 listing photos and with the FAULT clearly described in capital letters in the listing and with photos of the fault - the buyer claimed an item NAD because of the EXACT fault photographed and described - Ebay decided in the buyers favour and I had to pay return post and refund the buyer and I now have a defect for a claim not resolved by the seller, which counts as a double defect, even though the buyer wantd to return the item NAD for the very fault that was described in ther listing and photographed.

I also had another dispute on another ID for a NAD and when I esculated it, it was immediately closed in the buyer's favour, within seconds.

The OP can take my experience and your experience and weigh up what option she might take, as ,after all, from my experience and your experience, these were 2 different outcomes from the same system..

Message 28 of 56
Latest reply

@twyngwyn wrote:
Has the buyer said yet whether it is in the same condition as sold to her? If she has, I would take her word for it, accept return & move on....she could become one of your best customers ๐Ÿ™‚

She didn't say but did imply it, as I said I will refund if tags are intact and item is still in new condition, and she responded by saying thankyou she will send it back.

I am fairly skeptical about the best customer bit ๐Ÿ˜‰

Message 29 of 56
Latest reply

you could also start another selling ID to sell the used clothing bra in question and any other items around the house you might want to sell - I think it's a good idea actually to keep your ID for lovely new things, but you could sell it on another ID.
Message 30 of 56
Latest reply