Return because it is not comfortable?

I sold a 'luxury' bra from a reputable manufacturer and now the buyer want's to return it because it is 'scratchy' and doesn't sit right.

I have read all the reviews and all are good comfort-wise bar one person who said it rubbed her nipples after several hours but qualified this by saying she had super sensitive skin and it would be fine for most.

I have a no return policy for hygiene reasons - would being 'scratchy' or not fitting right qualify for a defect? I guess if it comes down to it, the question is will eBay support this defect claim? Buyer has a high feedback number and seems to know the system well, paid just hours before a NPB claim and has made some quite snarky responses in her feedback.

Being quite new to selling, but not to eBay would appreciate some other perspectives please!

Message 1 of 56
Latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Sparklz, what Ebay should do and what actually happens are 2 different things.
This is my experience - If the buyer opens a dispute and then if the buyer or seller then ask Ebay to step in, the Ebay system automatically closes it within seconds in favour of the buyer. Nobody at Ebay reads the messages between the buyer and the seller in the dispute when Ebay is asked to step in. The seller also earns a second defect on that transaction for case not resolved by seller. You can then appeal, but it is my expereince that Ebay sides with the buyer, no matter what, and then you are stuck with the 2 defects for that transaction, although Ebay says that you only earn one defect per transaction, in cases where the case is resolved not by the seller, you do in fact earn 2 defects.
Message 11 of 56
Latest reply

@roseworthy11 wrote:
I have just read the neutral that she has left you and it highlights one of the many problems with the Ebay Feedback system. She has left a neutral for the product, not you as the seller or for your service.

As she has left you a neutral, you have already earned a defect for this transaction.

It is my expereince and from reading these boards that most Return requests that are NAD are supported by ebay on the buyers side. If you ask Ebay to step in, they are unlikely to side with you, and then you earn a defect for case not resolved by seller as well.
Ebay do not support any aspect of Aust consumer law and it is pointless to argue with them IMO.
I would say, accept the return, block the buyer, reply to her neutral feedback including her ebay ID in your reply, so it is a warning to other sellers who can also block her, swallow your hurt feelings and the truth that this is all so unfair, and move on as quickly as possible.
With the new ridiculous return and defect system, we are all going to cop this sort of situation. Deal with it as blandly as you can and move on as quickly as you can, but keep on these boards you get a lot of support from other sellers.

Excellent point. rose, because of my ignorance on Bras & Underwear, I would have thought returns and such were excluded, just because of their nature.

Message 12 of 56
Latest reply

Just to clarify, it wasn't the seller who said they wore the bra for several hours, I spotted that when I looked for reviews on the bra on other sites.

Anyway I guess I am in a lose-lose situation, but I am really disappointed that I am forced to refund when it looks like this person is buying 'on spec' at a significant cost to the seller.

I am so tempted to ask for a photo of her wearing it haha, but that would be creepy.

Message 13 of 56
Latest reply

Haha,  also tempting, Dear buyer, Is there a possibility you can lose some weight so it fits? Smiley LOL

image host
Message 14 of 56
Latest reply

I am so tempted to ask for a photo of her wearing it haha, but that would be creepy

Please don't do that.  The woman is a size 20 D!!    

What on earth is a woman that size doing,  buying bras online?

Message 15 of 56
Latest reply

Unfortunately, for sellers who sell clothes and the like,I think that they are going to get an increased proportion of buyers who "rent" clothes off Ebay sellers and then return them after they have worn them to the "occasion"- pop on over to the the community boards on both the Ebay UK and US sites and pick up some hints and tips from some of the clothes sellers over there, or just make yourself feel better when you see other sellers of clothes with the same unfair issues!
Message 16 of 56
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

I am so tempted to ask for a photo of her wearing it haha, but that would be creepy

Please don't do that.  The woman is a size 20 D!!    

What on earth is a woman that size doing,  buying bras online?

awwww.... stawka  !!  not only it that my size, I also always buy that particular brand (not that style # tho)... once you have a brand and size you know, on line is fine.

but I agree with the others, if you DONT KNOW your size in a particular brand Dont Buy It

Woman Happy

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 17 of 56
Latest reply

Sad and one sided as the situation is, good to see you having a laugh about it Smiley LOL

Message 18 of 56
Latest reply

Weil, after considering your replies (thankyou for reading, I have always loved the helpers on eBay)  I have responded again to her offering a refund if the tags are intact and the bra is in new condition and she has asked for return address.

I'm not sure how this works out defect-wise? Do I formally offer a refund through the eBay link and will that qualify me for a defect? I will also be asking nicely if she will revise her feedback but I am guessing she would not do this unless I refund return postage.

Perhaps if the bra is saleable I can use the pointy boobs as a selling feature ๐Ÿ˜‰

Message 19 of 56
Latest reply

Under Australian Health Laws you cannot return "used" underwear anywhere for a refund.  One of the reasons you cannot sell used underwear on ebay.

She can only return item for a refund if it is in the condition it was sold "New & Unused" which it is now not because she stated she wore it for a few hours so it is probably now sweaty and smelly..

Message 20 of 56
Latest reply