Returns help

Just after some clarification on the returns process. I add customised text to t-shirts for buyers and a buyer has opened an INAD return to me.

I dont accept returns for change of mind as each sale is customised. Initially she was requesting an additional t-shirt be sent to her free of charge. She did not want to pay return postage anyway and wanted to keep the first item.

My listing states the standard text colour is white, although buyers are able to request a different colour.

This particular buyer didnt request any different colour, and I even sent her a PROOF showing WHITE text on her chosen coloured t-shirt, BEFORE she purchased the listing, and again afterwards, when I made another text change for her.

She is claming in her INAD return that its not as described as she expected a darker coloured text.  Buyer has a feedback of 3.

Obviously I believe the item is as described.

Wondering if I offer her the ability to return it in the returns case (before she asks ebay to "step in and help", and bend my rules, if I will be charged the return postage on the item? Of if she wants to return it, will she have to pay the return postage costs?

The item is definately as described in my opinion but considering just letting her send it back in order to keep the peace etc

But I dont want to offer her the ability to return it, if that means I'm essentially admitting the item 'isnt as described', because I am not admitting that because it is. and then that would mean I'm liable for return postage costs.

thankyou

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Returns help

I am not doubting what happened to you in any way BUT you would have to be in the minority who have had ebay say and do what is supposed to happen in a dispute.

By far the majority of sellers who come here have the opposite happen.

As a long time responder on these boards I feel it would be remiss of me to tell a member what SHOULD happen in a dispute when I know very well that it will most likely NOT happen that way.   If a member chooses to go with the "should happen" scenario then at least I feel no responsibility when they come back here moaning that ebay went with the other option and they have lost the dispute.

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

I can say that if a seller is unhappy with a colour they will win any dispute. I had one where I described the colour of a lampshade as brick red. The buyer claimed it was orange. Despite me having 7 photos in my listing of the shade, eBay still found in the buyer's favour. Ebay basically said 'without seeing the item in person we can't say whether your photos were colour accurate'.

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

And there it is.  It's wise, I think, to have a disclaimer in the listing to allow

for different monitors seeing colours differently.

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

UPDATE:

I got these emails from ebay, (below) and in the end the buyer escalated the return to ebay and they gave her the money back, but didnt take it from me. I didnt call them in the end though, I just emailed them and waited for it to play out in the returns process.

Thank you for contacting eBay about the item #### you sold to #####

I understand that you want to know if customised items are covered. You have listed your item under the clothes category so basically the item is covered. However, I have checked on your listing and I can see that you have listed the item accurately. You have clearly indicated in your listing that "Design comes in WHITE as standard but Other colours available on request SILVER, GOLD, RED, PURPLE, BLUE, ORANGE, GREEN, BLACK, HOT PINK, PURPLE, LIGHT PURPLE."

It means that it is already the opportunity of the buyer to request for another colour of the design if she chooses a light coloured shirt. The buyer even mentioned on the email she sent to you that a light shirt should have a darker text.

The best thing that you can do is to escalate the return request after 4 business days from the day the buyer opened the request. I would also recommend not to accept the return.

If you have further clarifications, please feel free to contact us.

------------------

eBay opened a case because of an issue with an item purchased from you. We reviewed the case and have decided to issue the buyer a refund of AU $22.00 without any impact to you.

This case is now closed. You're not required to reimburse the buyer or eBay, and this case won't be counted in your seller performance evaluation.

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

For you the outcome is good because it did not cost you as it should not as the buyer made an error.

However, this is the exact kind of behaviour by ebay that lets a buyer know they can get their money back on a whim even when they made the mistake when ordering.

IMHO it breeds a scamming mentality in buyers.

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

@clarry100 wrote:

For you the outcome is good because it did not cost you as it should not as the buyer made an error.

However, this is the exact kind of behaviour by ebay that lets a buyer know they can get their money back on a whim even when they made the mistake when ordering.

IMHO it breeds a scamming mentality in buyers.

I can't understand the mentality of ebay either.

If the buyer does not like the white but clearly had the option to choose another colour, then ebay should reply she got exactly what she ordered so it is exactly as described.

I understand it may put some buyers offside but if people make unreasonable requests, giving in isn't helping anyone. Not ebay, not sellers, not other buyers because in the long run, someone is paying for all the refunds and it isn't ebay as they just up their fees to cover losses.

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply