Sales down on EBAY Australia

shopafix
Community Member

What is going on? I have felt a dramatic drop in sales and interest on ebay.

I can only think of two contributing factors:

1) ebay's compulsory rollout in March 2021 to direct payments for small sellers (like myself) without a store meant an actual INCREASE in fees rather than a decrease in fees. 

2) An recent increase in Australian postage

I have become disheartened. I personally stopped listing many new items after these increases. Simply put, Ebay's cut and postage is currently unrealistic for small fish like myself. 

If others like myself feel the same way then this means that there are less new products listed on ebay ---> this reduces the random clicks through search engines ---> less visitors on ebay and less random sales for bigger sellers with stores too!  

We must remember that Ebay is "one organism" when the weaker parts start to suffer the whole system starts to fail.

On top of that- although it is still early days- I think the wind of change is blowing over Ebay but also Amazon Aus ( a joke IMO) and even Facebook: they are fast becoming a "granny's platform" according to younger generations. Ebay feels to me like it's losing momentum. There is a fine line between treasure hunting and the expectation ebay buyers have nowadays to buy things at unrealistically low prices.  It cannot happen anymore. Something must change, I sincerely hope it does. 

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

such  a nasty angry response - full of hatred and spite, definately not in line with ebay's "community values" - it's ok to have a bad day but please don't hate me because i'm a beautiful wonderful positive person - cheer up emo kid.

What is wrong with people getting payed as mentors?  Don't worry, smile, breathe in breathe out and say to yourself "we are all wonderful diverse people with opinions" - your turn will come, comrade.

Ecommercebytes had a wonderful article about paid ebay mentors - don't be angry because you missed out, there's always next time, maybe a less confrontational approach to people's opinions - just because you don't agree with something is no need to make comments about people's minds or the state of, not to mention false accusations about what you perceive to be the truth or lie.

I'm guessing you would not make such comments if you were chosen as a paid mentor

I don't think any less of you even though you smite me with such force.

Be happy - i'm here now.

Message 21 of 43
Latest reply

As I understand it, many people on these boards use posting IDs, which would mean their selling accounts are not placed in jeopardy. It would also make it difficult to calculate their sales and profit.

I don’t think that anyone on these boards posts on how to become an eBay millionaire. Rather, it’s about how to navigate some of the pitfalls and deal with sailing in the waters of eBay policies.

People have all sorts of motives for posting and I am the last person to take issue with prolific posting. I have my own reasons, and they’re nothing really to do with eBay, for instance.

Sone posting on these boards are abrasive; some are sarcastic; some are gentle; some are humorous; some are prickly; some go over the line: some are matter-of-fact; some will get personal and some won’t. Some are long-winded, some are terse. Some will engage on sides; some won’t. 

Some will post in a way that I wouldn’t; I’ll post in a way that others wouldn’t. (We all have our faults.)

Primarily these boards will be valuable for solid advice. That means that I would value correct advice based on eBay’s policies and on experience above fluffy but ineffectual/uninformative sympathy.  That’s not to say I don’t value sympathetic and friendly posts; I do. But if I’m looking for a solution, I’ll grab the hand that stops me from falling off the cliff… and be thankful for it.

My stance isn’t the stance of everyone. However, I can honestly say I do try to help others if I can. If the manner in which I post rubs some the wrong way, I’ll wear that; I have learned that “I’ve got to be me.”

Message 22 of 43
Latest reply

@supermussolinibros* wrote:

such  a nasty angry response - full of hatred and spite, definately not in line with ebay's "community values" - it's ok to have a bad day but please don't hate me because i'm a beautiful wonderful positive person - cheer up emo kid.

Nothing nasty or angry about Kope's response to you, if anything the last part of your post shows exactly that - "frypan/saucepan" ?

What is wrong with people getting payed as mentors?  Don't worry, smile, breathe in breathe out and say to yourself "we are all wonderful diverse people with opinions" - your turn will come, comrade.

Ecommercebytes had a wonderful article about paid ebay mentors - don't be angry because you missed out, there's always next time, maybe a less confrontational approach to people's opinions - just because you don't agree with something is no need to make comments about people's minds or the state of, not to mention false accusations about what you perceive to be the truth or lie.

I'm guessing you would not make such comments if you were chosen as a paid mentor

I'd love to see a link for that, the only thing I could find was posted back in 2015, and that explicitly said the "mentors" WERE NOT paid. It was a US thing anyway and didn't relate at all to Australian members........

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/2015/12/08/ebay-looks-volunteer-mentors-help-new-sellers/

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 23 of 43
Latest reply

Ah yes - full of negativity - i do hold hope for you though.  One day you will shed your confrontational manner and embrace diversity and tolerance.

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2021/6/1623719450.html

I sense a lot of spite here in these forums, not to mention unjustified attacks on people's integrity, which is sad as there are "ebay community values" which  are here to make this place pleasant for everyone.

If only  some of the high post count forum users could take chameleons example of how to be a Real Person with GUTS and INTEGRITY and CRITICAL THINKING.

Frying pans/saucepans can cook up a lot of things but it takes a positive attitude to cook up a wholesome feast to nourish.  I just hope your frying pans/saucepans are not continually burning good food like your attitude.

Message 24 of 43
Latest reply

My goodness you have the wrong end of the stick.

No anger, hatred or smite within my post.

Simply pointing out the facts that you are posting nonsense.

Once again you are inventing things that don't exist.

If you are going to post on public forums, kindly don't incite trouble with lies nor fingerpoint.

You really need to read the rules of posting here.

image host
Message 25 of 43
Latest reply

OK, that link does not show members were paid - it says that they MIGHT have been paid, and there were no responses by members admitting that they were paid for information.

Again, that does not relate to Australian members, only to members in the USA. It's been a very long time since eBay CS reps have posted on the boards, and even when they did there were more unanswered questions from members than there were answered ones.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 26 of 43
Latest reply

I'll go onto the evil side and say your posts gave me a bit of a laugh as I don't think they were meant to be taken all that seriously, you seem to be trying for a sarcastic/ironic OTT take on things.

I think, sadly, the paid mentor scheme may have bypassed Australian ebay. What a loss for us all.

Some of us come on the boards just for fun though and a bit of entertainment. Which I guess you have provided. Not quite as much entertainment as the Wordle thread though, I must point out.

Yes, some members here have mentioned their businesses at times, along with profits. I know you would never stoop to such a thing. That reminds me.  How is your marketplace business doing, by the way? 😊

As countess said, you'll get a bit of everything here but in between, most posters should probably be able to pick up a few helpful nuggets. More than they'd get contacting ebay, in any case.

Message 27 of 43
Latest reply

Hi everyone,

This thread is getting a bit heated and off-topic. Please remember that, while it is fine to disagree with others, discussion should always remain courteous and respectful. Please bring the discussion back to subject established in the original post.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Message 28 of 43
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

As I understand it, many people on these boards use posting IDs, which would mean their selling accounts are not placed in jeopardy. It would also make it difficult to calculate their sales and profit

Primarily these boards will be valuable for solid advice. That means that I would value correct advice based on eBay’s policies and on experience above fluffy but ineffectual/uninformative sympathy.  That’s not to say I don’t value sympathetic and friendly posts; I do. But if I’m looking for a solution, I’ll grab the hand that stops me from falling off the cliff… and be thankful for it.

My stance isn’t the stance of everyone. However, I can honestly say I do try to help others if I can. If the manner in which I post rubs some the wrong way, I’ll wear that; I have learned that “I’ve got to be me.”

While its true many of us use posting id's, the forums are a very small pond and selling id's are rarely well kept secrets. Some posters choose to publicly reveal their selling id's at times in order to prove a point or " win " an argument, others choose to share id's to trusted and respected forum members. ( Lyndal was one regular who knew a couple of my selling id's due to pm's ) Some, including me at times, use their selling id's on restricted forum that are not readily available to most posters. ( you are going to have to go back a very long way to track that one down guys 😎 )

There are several regulars who know one or more of my selling id's and if I where to start telling porkies about my selling activities, it would soon become obvious to others. While I have never revealed others private selling id's to anyone ( and dont intend too ) I think it is legitimate to discreetly call out posters who may be using blatently false information about their selling activities to troll disrespect other posters who have simply come to the boards  seeking help or advice. 

The boards are only effective if posters provide accurate, up to date, factual information to others. Posting id's allow sellers to do this, but they shouldnt be abused by telling porkies in order to disrespect or mislead other contributors.

Message 29 of 43
Latest reply

"How is your marketplace business doing, by the way?"

Completely awesome - thanks for asking - i think i'm heading into my third year away from here, things have never been better  - pickup/postage and it's fantastic!! The growth since i started is HUGE.  A lot of the time i barely get time to scratch myself because as soon as i list there are a mountain of buyers waving money in my face - fighting each other, offering me more money, and as for the tyrekickers, well they get run over - every time.

It isn't for everyone however as some people love to pay for a service , it makes them feel important, it makes them feel as though their money is used to improve things for them - you know when the titanic sank the band played right to the very end - i think some of those band members are right here, amongst us forum people - i often hear them playing their violins when people come in here to complain, sigh, such dedication....

Message 30 of 43
Latest reply