Seller did not return supposedly defective item even though EBay refunded the full purchase price.

agcam
Community Member

Beware - I recently listed an item of jewelry and fully disclosed its condition to the best of my ability. The eventual successful bidder asked for and I forwarded extra detailed photos as requested. On receipt of the item the buyer nitpicked about the item with unsubstantiated claims about defects - She lodged a case before I agreed to a refund and was refunded the full purchase price under the EBay buyer protection policy. I had already been paid,  less eBay fees.  The buyer has not returned the item within the specified time and has not answered my messages. Unfortunately it appears that under eBay policy she may not have to return it .  If it was so unsatisfactory why does she want to keep it ? (Scrap silver value about $45)

Is this fair?  Is this conscionable ? She has the item free  and I am out of pocket for about $45 for ebay fees, postage and prepaid  return postage which she demanded before returning the item.   Should I give her negative feedback ?

I have made a complaint to EBay yet to be resolved - but I am not holding my breath. I would love to get it back - would not sell again !

I

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Seller did not return supposedly defective item even though EBay refunded the full purchase pri

Did the buyer open a return request? Did you respond to the return request and provide a return label? If you don't respond and the buyer escalates the case, eBay will just decide in the buyer's favour.

In terms of negative feedback, you can't give negative feedback to buyers.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Re: Seller did not return supposedly defective item even though EBay refunded the full purchase pri

what does the tracking show on the label you sent her (via Ebay) for the return of the item

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

The buyer said she would return the necklace if I paid return postage. I sent her a prepaid return address satchel  quickly and in the meantime she opened a case and although the purchase price less eBay fee had already been paid to my bank account eBay refunded her the full purchase price under buyer protection.  She never answered any of my follow up messages and so I complained to eBay and have received a  reply from eBay that they are looking in to it - They said they would not advise me of any action they take and so Iam crossing my fingers that it might appear in the mail one day. Apparently under eBay policy a buyer does not have to return the item. This is bad policy because unscrupulous buyers could take advantage of this and make a habit of it for gain.  In my case she has not paid anything and has a beautiful sterling silver necklace worth  a minimum of S45 scrap value and I am down about $35 or so !

I am not saying she planned this  as her feedback is 100% but her action is unconscionable. Personally I would not do this - My feedback is also 100%.

Thanks you for replying.

Ps. After she was refunded,  a message from eBay said that I was not at fault !!!!!!

Cam

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

The prepaid satchel I sent her was in a plain envelope without tracking.  I have made a complaint  to eBay and am hopeful that she may relent and that I will receive  the beautiful necklace back one day. !   I have a tracking number for the prepaid satchel I sent her and will check with Australia Post tracking daily !

v

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Big - big mistake.

You'll never see tracking for that.

The buyer can use it for anything - other than eBay.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

So you have being a member for over 20 years, and did not follow the process for this via formal Ebay channels.

Yes she may be scamming you,  But geez,  if you don't get your item back,  well lets just say,  its a lesson learnt for you.  

Read and digest the correct process's,  don't do your own thing, you will loose your item and money, and will only have yourself to blame.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

@agcam wrote:

The prepaid satchel I sent her was in a plain envelope without tracking.  I have made a complaint  to eBay and am hopeful that she may relent and that I will receive  the beautiful necklace back one day. !   I have a tracking number for the prepaid satchel I sent her and will check with Australia Post tracking daily !

v

Then she can say she never received it.

You have no way of knowing if she did or not

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Ebay declaring that customers do not have to return items to receive a refund goes against the ACCC. 

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

@hortineil wrote:

Ebay declaring that customers do not have to return items to receive a refund goes against the ACCC. 

Oh no! 

Not the ACCC again.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply