Sellers not answering messages

rjm6572
Community Member

i saw this item which is only an ink cartridge and the seller has listed as a pick up only

i messaged them twice in the last 48 hours enquiring about postage, they have not got back

and the item ends in about 2 hours so looks like this seller is missing on extra money

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Sellers not answering messages

rjm6572
Community Member

Why should the seller have to answer a question when what the buyer is asking is already in the listing?

we are only talking about an ink cartridge which only weighs about 100g and it can go as a small parcel.....doesnt matter as they have lost out on extra money

Message 21 of 32
Latest reply

chezzy
Community Member

And some sellers just lack courtesy, plain and simple. Sure, they don't "have" to answer questions but how would anyone feel if they approached a seller/sales assistant in a B&M store and got totally ignored? Why is ebay any different? It almost seems acceptable for ebay sellers to have poor customer service skills?

In the reverse I have contacted ebay sellers to see if they would allow a PICK UP when it hasn't been mentioned in the listing. Particularly if I am in the same or very next suburb, it just seems sensible and saving time/resources. Am I being a naughty buyer asking for something that is not detailed in the listing?

Message 22 of 32
Latest reply

Some sellers don't offer pick up because or privacy or security reasons. Some may have become fed up with waiting for people who never turn up.

TCT
Message 23 of 32
Latest reply

chezzy
Community Member

in which case a courteous "sorry, pick up is not available" is not so hard is it really?

People so busy or hard nosed that manners go out the window (or maybe they were just never taught them)

Message 24 of 32
Latest reply

patchoo, sellers don't HAVE to per say, but personally, I think it's rude not to.

If you're answered a question, answer it. It's polite. It's not really that big of a deal.

If someone asked me why the grass was green, I'd even answer that. It's just about good customer relations IMO.

And that's the operative word there. IMO.

Don't blame me. I didn't vote him in ...
Message 25 of 32
Latest reply

If you're asked* a question, that should say.

Don't blame me. I didn't vote him in ...
Message 26 of 32
Latest reply

patchoo, sellers don't HAVE to per say, but personally, I think it's rude not to.

If you're answered a question, answer it. It's polite. It's not really that big of a deal.

If someone asked me why the grass was green, I'd even answer that. It's just about good customer relations IMO.

And that's the operative word there. IMO.

Exactly!

It's the golden rule really.  If a buyer asks a question, whether it is 'stupid', already contained in the listing or even if the seller thought they were being quite clear, answering questions is just part of the job.   

If asked multiple times about postage when it's pick up only (or whatever)  a seller can always post the question and answer on the listing to make it even clearer.  And sometimes its even worth asking the question.  I asked politely about postage a couple times for 'pick up only' items and the seller was happy to post it out to me despite their 'pick up only' item.  

I always thought there were more stupid answers than stupid questions anyhow!! 

Message 27 of 32
Latest reply

rjm6572
Community Member

i dont offer pick up but someone messaged me today and asked if they can do a pick up on one of my items and i said yes

Message 28 of 32
Latest reply

Honest to goodness....  some of you really need to settle petal ;\

There is absolutely no reason why a buyer cant ask a seller if they would be prepared to post an item.  sheesh.... its not rocket science here folks!

A Good seller, would answer your question and give an explanation.  (eg: I am unable to post this item as I am without a means of transport at the moment..sorry)

I OFTEN, yeah, that's right , you heard me.. I OFTEN contact sellers with a request would they post item, and I  even offer petrol costs too (never had one take me up on petrol costs yet though  B-) )

I sold a VERY LARGE item which I had as pick up only, but I had approx  8 or 9 requests for freight, so in the end, I got  freight costs for them. Yes it was time consuming, but I believe in high quality customer service to get the sale!  If the buyer wants to pay for postage, then who am I to stop them!

Also, just want to add ~ I had a ebayer ask me about item dimensions on this same item, and I messaged him and said that I had added the answer to a recently asked question at the bottom of the listing.
He replied to me saying that he was using his phone to access ebay, and was unable to view the *questions & answers* part of the listings. I never knew that.
I sent him the answer to the question he had asked me.

So , if you get multiple requests for the SAME question, keep that in mind, that your prospective buyer might not be able to view the whole of your listing, to get the answers. 🙂

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 29 of 32
Latest reply

100% agree with all your points janeababe - well put 🙂

Message 30 of 32
Latest reply