Selling an expensive mattress on Ebay.

Hi there,

I was hoping you could help as I'm still an Ebay novice! 🙂

I'm selling an expensive mattress on auction just now (starting bid £500). The mattress is used (under a year old) but in immaculate condition. I've specified the buyer needs to arrange for collection.

The people interested so far are going to arrange for a courier to pick up the mattress. My concern is that the mattress isn't handled very well in transit and the buyer receives it covered in marks. 

How can I protect myself? I've specified that I won't accept returns but can the buyer insist on a refund if the mattress is badly marked by the courier?

Many thanks for your advice,

Serena

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Selling an expensive mattress on Ebay.

Hi. 

Not sure if you realise you are asking your question about your matress to the Australian Site of Ebay. I would check that you are signed into the UK Ebay and ask your question there as they would be able to help you more. All the best with your sale. I hope it works out well.

Cheers daffodilau

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Photograph the mattress in good lighting prior to it being collected by the courier to show the condition, and provide these to the buyer. Make it a condition of purchase that you won't be held responsible for any marks caused by the couriers. If you have some old sheets, give these to the courier to protect the mattress with in transit.

Most importantly, if any marks do occur...

Keep Calm
and
Carry On!

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If the item is to be picked up by a courier you will have to wrap/pack it.....couriers do not do that for you.   If you just give it to the courier with no protection at all it is almost guaranteed that it will be ruined....at the very least it will be dirty if not damaged/torn.

Have you thought about using a removalist....they are far more reliable than couriers for delivering such large items.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Quite agree, I think a removalist who knows what they are doing and has had far more experience would be a far better way to go

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Just as well they are in the UK.

It's illegal, I believe,  to sell used mattresses in Australia for health reasons

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Probably under the policy of selling live animals Stawks...................eeeek.           willy_nilly.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

Just as well they are in the UK.

It's illegal, I believe,  to sell used mattresses in Australia for health reasons

So that is why there are 900+ used mattresses for sale on ebay?

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

OP,

Some things are better sold on gumtree, which is still part of the same group as ebay. A matress would in my opinion definitely fall into the category of 'sell it on gumtree'. Prices are often similar but you pay no fees on gumtree so you can afford to make it cheaper than you'd sell on ebay.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

I don't think they have gumtree in the UK where the OP is located.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply