Sent Parcel via ebay post + signature, delivered safe drop.

Hi,

I sent the parcel and paid extra for signature on delivery,  the parcel was delivered about a week ago Safe Drop!

No feedback received yet but just wondering is this normal practice from Aussie Post?

Thanks

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Sent Parcel via ebay post + signature, delivered safe drop.

As it happens, I two identical emails this morn saying I had a parcel on the way (no idea what at the time) and in the email it said if nobody was home it would be taken to the nearest post office  (which , when this happens, it is not taken to the nearest one at all, but one about 1km further away)

Anyway, I go and hang out washing and such and go out the front to bring the garbage bins in, and there is said parcel on the doorstep

(same tracking number)

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

That's funny,just last week the postie was about to leave a parcel at my front door when my daughter opened the door and the postie said hold this and then took a photo of her holding the parcel.

Why not just take the photo of the parcel on the porch? Even though my daughter opened the door,postie knew that he had proof now that it was delivered with her in the picture lol.

I'm so against safe dropping if signature is needed because not long ago a parcel worth alot of money was taken when the postie just left it at the front door.

I argued with AP about it and was also given the BS about it being photographed as proof and I said I don't give a rats ass it was supposed to be signed for and if the postie has to work overtime just to get the parcels delivered in the day then that's what they should do.

Got the BS from mission control as usual.

Contacted the seller and told them what had happened and they gave me another item.

But from now on I always make sure someone is home until the postie arrives lol.

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

The postie who took the pic with your daughter in the pic breached AP policy. For privacy and security reasons they are not permitted to include any part of a person in any pic they take.
He could get serious trouble if someone reported that incident.
Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

@collect247wrote:

Unless the buyers have permitted for a parcel to be safe dropped then the postie should not safe drop it.

Where would the postie safe drop a parcel? in the letter box? at the front door where passers by can see it?

Or in your back yard where the postie isn't allowed to enter?

Unless permission is given then safe dropping isn't allowed.

A buyer could easily say they never received the parcel even if the postie took a photo of it,who knows if the postie decided to take it with them,taking a photo as proof doesn't cut the cake in my opinion if a signiture was required.

I've discovered whether a parcel is safe dropped or not also depends on what kind of delivery system the SELLER has signed up for (I susped the tracking numbers contain the relevant codes but I don't know what they all mean).  It's crazy sometimes because a) the seller doesn't mention the item is signature on delivery in a listing, or b) I ask for safe drop, the seller agrees but because of whatever postage service they've agreed to with Aust Post, when I look at the tracking on AP it says safe drop is not an option.  The seller may be able to change this and add my note re delivery, but the buyer is still left in the dark because there's no way for it to be updated on the AP website.

My postie and the AP parcel delivery contractor are seasoned regulars and they know where to put my purchases.  BUT...just to be on the safe side (in case someone is on holidays) I always specify where it is to be left.  Unfortunately the regular delivery AP staff are sticklers for the rules and it's rare indeed they they will safe drop something requiring a signature if there's no extra instructions.  Where are these AP posties that are OK with not bothering with a signature?  I wish they'd come and train the guys that delivery my mail and parcels. ๐Ÿ™‚

Signature on delivery isn't foolproof.  Anyone can sign for a parcel as long as they are at the address...and as I discovered on one occasion, not necessarily inside the address.  One day as I staggered wearily home from work I noticed an AP van outside my house.  The contractor needed a signature on delivery so I signed for my parcel.  Was that OK?  Think about it for a moment.  The contractor didn't ask for proof of identity, I was on the footpath, not yet on my property.  I had the parcel and saw the name and address so I know what to put.  I could have been anyone! *shrugs*

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

@clarry100wrote:
The postie who took the pic with your daughter in the pic breached AP policy. For privacy and security reasons they are not permitted to include any part of a person in any pic they take.
He could get serious trouble if someone reported that incident.

Whether he breached the rules by having a person in the photo or not, there was no need for the photo.  He could have just asked for a signature.

If no signature was required then he should not have taken a photo in the first place.  The photo is only required when a SOD parcel is safe dropped.

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

@zanadoo_56wrote:

@collect247wrote:

Unless the buyers have permitted for a parcel to be safe dropped then the postie should not safe drop it.

Where would the postie safe drop a parcel? in the letter box? at the front door where passers by can see it?

Or in your back yard where the postie isn't allowed to enter?

Unless permission is given then safe dropping isn't allowed.

A buyer could easily say they never received the parcel even if the postie took a photo of it,who knows if the postie decided to take it with them,taking a photo as proof doesn't cut the cake in my opinion if a signiture was required.

I've discovered whether a parcel is safe dropped or not also depends on what kind of delivery system the SELLER has signed up for (I susped the tracking numbers contain the relevant codes but I don't know what they all mean).  No it does not depend on what the seller has signed up for.  It's crazy sometimes because a) the seller doesn't mention the item is signature on delivery in a listing, or b) I ask for safe drop, the seller agrees but because of whatever postage service they've agreed to with Aust Post, when I look at the tracking on AP it says safe drop is not an option.  The seller may be able to change this and add my note re delivery, but the buyer is still left in the dark because there's no way for it to be updated on the AP website.

My postie and the AP parcel delivery contractor are seasoned regulars and they know where to put my purchases.  BUT...just to be on the safe side (in case someone is on holidays) I always specify where it is to be left.  Unfortunately the regular delivery AP staff are sticklers for the rules and it's rare indeed they they will safe drop something requiring a signature if there's no extra instructions.  Where are these AP posties that are OK with not bothering with a signature?  I wish they'd come and train the guys that delivery my mail and parcels. ๐Ÿ™‚

Those posties and AP contractors are the ones who follow the instructions given to them when they are issued with the AP scanners and instructed when and how to use the camera part of the scanner.

Signature on delivery isn't foolproof.  Anyone can sign for a parcel as long as they are at the address...and as I discovered on one occasion, not necessarily inside the address.  One day as I staggered wearily home from work I noticed an AP van outside my house.  The contractor needed a signature on delivery so I signed for my parcel.  Was that OK?  Think about it for a moment.  The contractor didn't ask for proof of identity, I was on the footpath, not yet on my property.  I had the parcel and saw the name and address so I know what to put.  I could have been anyone! *shrugs*

No, SOD is not foolproof.....it never has been.  But at least the system of photographing the parcel where it has been left is better than any old signature or no signature at all.

Even couriers are being encouraged to safe drop parcels these days.  Years ago sellers used couriers because they always obtained a signature or they did not leave the item.

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

The other thing to be wary of is "if" someone unknown to you, ie hawkers etc and a parcel has been left at the front door, there is nothing to stop these people taking care of your parcel Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

Ok here is the good stuff from my son who works for AP call centre in Brisbane.
Firstly the rules for safe drop are different between eparcel and regular parcels.
For regular parcels if there is a SOD sticker on it then the parcel cannot be safe dropped at all. It can't even be authorized by the receiver thru their MyPost account. If there is nobody at the address and signature is required then it MUST be carded and signed for on pickup.
If the delivery driver's scanner is not equipped with a camera (most are now) then that driver is not authorized to safe drop at all. If an item is safe dropped then a photo is mandatory.
No part of any person is allowed in a safe drop pic. This is for privacy and security reasons.
I think that about covers safe drop for regular parcels.
If there are other questions I will run them by him.

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply