State Aus Public Holidays

Tomorrow is a public holiday in Vic due to the Grand Final. The rest of Australia is business as usual, however none of the post offices in Vic are open tomorrow. 

At the moment I have 1 day shipping activated on all of my items, meaning if I sell something today then I have to post it by the next business day. Does anyone know whether Ebay recognises state public holidays, or whether they only recoginise national ones?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: State Aus Public Holidays

I can't say for sure 'these days' but I do know back when I was selling, items of mine ending around that time showed an estimated delivery date which landed on Boxing Day one time and Easter Saturday another time 

Then again, what eBay says they do and what eBay does do are also often two different things 

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

It is not a problem, if you do happen to get a late shipment defect, simply advise ebay it was a public holiday.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Ebay adjusts shipping times for all designated public holidays for both sellers and buyers. If you sold something On Thursday 28th, you should see in your sold section that it says ship by Monday 2nd October.

It even goes further, adjusting regional within state holidays. On Melbourne Cup Day, it will do the same thing if you are in Melbourne metro but not if you are in Ballarat or Geelong

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Look for "request to remove defects" and you'll be able to see if you have any potential defects coming up.

You will only be able to appeal defects within a certain timeframe after the order, so check it regularly.

There is only a limited number of reasons you can select from when you request to have the defect removed, but if you choose "Disruption outside my control (examples: illness or hospitalization, fire or flood, etc.)"  the post office being closed because of a Public Holiday should come under that - there is also the option to add a note.

I've had a late shipping defect removed after chatting to an agent in support as well, so as long as you have a legitimate reason to have it removed, it should be fine.

A note on that though, if for example a buyer requests to have an item held for longer, or some other circumstance occurs where you needed to ship it later, you take on that late shipment responsibility and that can't be removed.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

I just told my buyers it was a holiday and that I would post first thing Monday morning.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

@sweet_violets wrote:

I just told my buyers it was a holiday and that I would post first thing Monday morning.

Just remember that Monday is a public holiday in several states. I'm guessing not yours. Depending on where your buyer is, they may think you're having a lend of them.

I still can't get my head around having a public holiday for a sporting game!!! Does NSW get one for their code? Given I'm in NSW, I'll say that would be a big fat no. 

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

The Mexicans don't do things by halves. They get not one, but two holidays for sporting events.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

I used to have 1 day shipping but changed it to 4 days when Ebay started giving sellers defects for late posting (although I still post daily). This covers scenarios like this (along with eBay 'guestimates' & and Australia Post performance). Buyers seem to be happy when their item arrives well before the ETA.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

@rocket2retro wrote:

I used to have 1 day shipping but changed it to 4 days when Ebay started giving sellers defects for late posting (although I still post daily). This covers scenarios like this (along with eBay 'guestimates' & and Australia Post performance). Buyers seem to be happy when their item arrives well before the ETA.

I agree. Having one day postage achieved absolutely nothing, except grief. My buyers have zero issues with my 7 day handling time, and like you, are pleasantly surprised when their item turns up "early"!

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply