Stop letting bad sellers continue to trade

kdb234
Community Member
When are you people at ebay going to stop sellers with bad feedback and items not getting recieved by these people, too continue to trade on ebay. Look at sellers ebay feedback and if its genuine complaint from a buyer then the seller needs to be barred from trading. Clean up the site and start becoming stricter on bad sellers, before you become like gumtree full of scammers
Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Stop letting bad sellers continue to trade

LOL...ebay owns Gumtree!
Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

You say they have bad feedback, that means ebay have given you the tools to make an informed decision about buying from them or not. If you see the feedack and still buy that is hardly ebay's fault.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

@kdb234 wrote:
When are you people at ebay going to stop sellers with bad feedback and items not getting recieved by these people, too continue to trade on ebay. Look at sellers ebay feedback and if its genuine complaint from a buyer then the seller needs to be barred from trading. Clean up the site and start becoming stricter on bad sellers, before you become like gumtree full of scammers

So let me see if i,ve got this right. If an Australia post driver takes a bag of mail home, or items blow away in the wind when his kid opens the mail box ( I saw this one happen one day ) , or your item gets stolen from your mail box while you are at work, the seller should lose his livelihood and be banned ???       On a kinder note, ( yes I did get out of bed the wrong side today and I am grumpy )  I agree with the OP that ebay could be doing much more to make the site safer for everyone ( buyers and sellers ) . Restricting accounts for a period of time for repeat offenders offering items which are constantly "out of stock" or choking up the dispute resolution centre with numerous "item not as described " cases or the regular Scam artist sellers would help. Ebay also needs to take a stronger stance against non paying buyers as this is becoming a constant theme on forums and a major frustration for sellers in certian catagories.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

hbrih3
Community Member

@kdb234 wrote:

I think ebay should start with cleaning up bad buyers first and allow the sellers more options of blocking bidders, for eg. bidders with less then 10 feedbacks or those with no Paypal account, specially in the large item categories like vehicles. It should be up to the seller to chose who they want to block from bidding.

And I wouldn't knock gumtree , after having a joker living 5,000Km away press the BIN button on a pickup only item within hours of placing my ad and effectively torpedo my listing for the minimum 8 days it takes ebay to sort out NPBs I advertised the item on gumtree. Within 48 hrs from listing I had over 350 views, 7 email and phone calls and sold it for cash  with no selling fees so thank you ebay "verified" NPB troll who spoiled my listing - you may have cost me $8.10 in listing fees but saved me $60 in FVF plus $106 in Paypal fees.

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

bidders with less then 10 feedbacks or those with no Paypal account, specially in the large item categories like vehicles

Well how sensible would that be as the last thing any buyer or seller should be doing is even mentioning Paypal in connection with a vehicle listing as there is absolutely no protection for either party.

If a seller offers bank deposit then why should any buyer who wishes to risk their money by using it be force to open a Paypal account?

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

I think it is more difficult for online sellers on sites such as ebay to please everyone all of the time and have perfect feedback.

Imagine if we could hit a red, green or grey button everytime we walked out of the supermarket or Target or Big W, etc,  I bet their feedback wuold be dismal because of the long queues to get out of the store, special that started that morning already sold out, and so on.

I would hit the red button if I was waiting 15 minutes at the checkout to pay for my items.

At the end of the day, the feedback is there for you to read, there is Paypal to make the payment part of the purchase as safe as possible, and if you fund your Paypal payment with a credit card then you also have the chargeback facility that comes with your card. There is postal insurance, then there is a timeframe, which is quite generous in which to start a dispute with Paypal and the you have a few weeks to leave feedback.

There is already a lot in place to protect buyers from dodgy sellers.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

Well how sensible would that be as the last thing any buyer or seller should be doing is even mentioning Paypal in connection with a vehicle listing as there is absolutely no protection for either party.

If a seller offers bank deposit then why should any buyer who wishes to risk their money by using it be force to open a Paypal account?

No one is forcing a buyer to take risks or do anything like open a Paypal account , they are free bid or not to bid if they meet the criteria required by the seller but as a seller I should also be given the choice who to accept bids from. If I want to only accept bids from verified Paypal account holders or bidders with a minimum feedback of 10, 20 or 100 for my listing it should be my choice and is simply an extension of the existing blocking rules.

No one is forcing you to bid on items requiring payments by Paypal if you don't want to use that method of payment but you don't pay any fees to buy using Paypal so what is the problem ? Also you have the knowledge the seller is real and has a real Paypal account which may not be much but is better then handing out cash or your credit card details to a stranger with a selling feedback in single or double digits. Of course there are genuine reasons for not opening a Paypal account to pay for your buys, like for privacy reasons or have something to hide. Like if you opened your ebay account using a fake name and can't get a verified Paypal account linked to it in which case I wouldn't want you to bid on my items anyway. ๐Ÿ™‚

Not sure of the type of seller you are as you don't have anything listed currently but as an occasional seller I prefer the reassurance that anyone bidding on my items used their real name to register on ebay and have a bank account verified by Paypal and that is all the protection I need . I don't like being inconvenienced and messed around by fake bids from idiots registered on ebay under false names and if in the process of blocking them I also block a few genuine prospective buyers then so be it, I am prepared to accept the consequence as a seller and as the one paying for the listing it should be my choice. But as the number of idiots seem to be on the increase and am not given the option to block bidders as I see fit  I am invoking my choice to no longer list any items for sale on ebay.  If I am going to be messed around by fake buyers may as well be doing it for free on gumtree and quick sales where I can demand contact , payment and pickup to be made in 24 hrs or whatever I see fit and be able to cancel the sale/relist the item immediately if the buyer does not comply with conditions of sale .

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

this sounds like the typical **bleep** for tat argument. the who's more important the seller or buyer argument.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

I think thats a bit unfair.  I sell things occasionally but I am mainly a buyer.  I think people are entitled to leave bad feedback if they didn't get the item as described etc.  Its just like going into a bricks and mortar shop where some people will have bad experiences and some people will have good.  Bad feedback shouldn't mean they get shut down.  My motto is to not buy from sellers who have a a score lower than 95.  I have never had an issue with an ebay seller that has warranted me leaving bad feedback.  I have only had one bad experience where I didn't receive my item, however turns out it was my fault because I had forgotton to change my address on my ebay account.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply