Stupid Buyer!!..Please Help

hi there guys can you please give me advice...i sold an item but had to refund the money due to supplier issue, the buyer paid direct to my bank account and i told him friday, the last 3 days he has put up on my facebook and various sites that i ripped him off etc...i have sent ebay a message about what the buyer did and what he posted, are they allowed to do this?...is ebay at fault for giving him my details and phone number???..need advice please!!!

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

On FB, there is a drop down arrow to the right of the post, one of the options will be 'report this post'.

Report the post to FB.

You might need to look at your privacy levels on FB too. Make it friends only.

The other thing you can do, which may be worthwhile & isn't a bad idea anyway, is change your name on FB.

There are a lot of people on the site who never use their whole real name-people such as police, teachers and so on.

When you change your name, those who are your friends will still see you and still be your friends but it will make it harder for people like this troublemaker to find you.

PS From what I can gather on ebay, names/addresses/phone numbers are available to buyers & sellers once there is a sale. So there is nothing unusual in that aspect.

Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

Anyone that you're in a transaction with can request your details. All they get is your name and phone number. How did they find your facebook account? Why isn't your facebook account private? He would need to be your friend to be able to leave messages on it. Block him on facebook and delete any messages he's written.

Have you refunded him? If not, you will need to get his bank details so you can deposit the refund into his account.

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

On FB, there is a drop down arrow to the right of the post, one of the options will be 'report this post'.

Report the post to FB.

You might need to look at your privacy levels on FB too. Make it friends only.

The other thing you can do, which may be worthwhile & isn't a bad idea anyway, is change your name on FB.

There are a lot of people on the site who never use their whole real name-people such as police, teachers and so on.

When you change your name, those who are your friends will still see you and still be your friends but it will make it harder for people like this troublemaker to find you.

PS From what I can gather on ebay, names/addresses/phone numbers are available to buyers & sellers once there is a sale. So there is nothing unusual in that aspect.

Despite it being facebook policy that you have to use your real name (and sometimes they will shut you down and request ID to open you back up), I don't use my real name any more. Not because I'm worried about people finding me, but work was dictating what sites we can and can't belong to. By changing my name, they have to prove that it's me that belongs to a site. I put a note on my page the day before changing so people would be aware.

One of my pets has his own facebook page and he got shut down a few weeks ago because they said it wasn't his real name. I had to create a fake ID to show them, which then got the account up and running again.

If you don't want to be found but still use your real name, I think there's somewhere in the settings where you can block yourself from search results.

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I am assuming that you have done the refund and the money has not yet reached his account.

Have you explained that it will take several days to appear in his account?

Ebay is not to blame.....a member can request the contact details for any member that they are in a transaction with.....you would have received an email from ebay with the buyer's details at the same time.

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

this is the first thing that comes up on google on how to block

To block someone:

Click at the top right of any Facebook page.
Click How do I stop someone from bothering me?
Enter the name or email address of the person you want to block and click Block.
If you entered a name, select the specific person you want to block from the list that appears.

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

Just in case anyone doesn't know this, the default setting on Facebook (and many other sites) is to allow your profile to be searchable by your email address (last time I checked, you could on eBay as well, but they show very limited information - i.e. disguised user ID and FB number only, with no direct link). If you use the same email address for eBay / PayPal etc, unless you change the setting, it won't matter what name you have on your FB profile. 

I think (but not 100% sure) your Facebook profile can also be found via a phone number search, so it might pay to check your privacy settings and make sure you can't be found via details you have to give out to some people by necessity. 

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

There's an elephant in the room...............

i sold an item but had to refund the money due to supplier issue

Meaning OP sold something they didn't physically have.

Mistake right there,   and the buyer is called stupid?

Sorry , but that's my take on it

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

Must admit I nearly didn't open this thread.  Calling a buyer stupid does not sit well with me either Stawks.

Rather than "stupid" I would have called him annoyed.

But his behaviour is hardly acceptable either.

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

Despite it being facebook policy that you have to use your real name (and sometimes they will shut you down and request ID to open you back up), I don't use my real name any more. Not because I'm worried about people finding me, but work was dictating what sites we can and can't belong to. By changing my name, they have to prove that it's me that belongs to a site

---------------------

I know police are told not to use their real names or even anything too close to their real names, for security reasons.

I might be in trouble, I have 4 FB accounts, one of the names ends in candycrush.Smiley Tongue

The first account is the real me, the other 3  my friends, family & I use to unblock game levels. Very useful. I do hope I don't get sprung as a couple of the names are easy to see are aliases.

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply