This Is Code for "I Want to Scam You", Right?

Message received earlier today:

"Hello dear I like this product [item name] please contact me thank you have a nice day"

I have a near-irresitable urge to respond to most messages I receive, just due to being polite, which almost always results in me replying to messages I say I won't, eventually. Sometimes it's out of sheer curiosity, or because I read far to many "Snappy answers to stupid questions..." collections as a kid and something pushes my sarcasm button, so I'm basically just fishing for the confirmation that this is a message to be ignored, with the intent to distract my attention, strengthen my resolve, and quell my rising sarcasm level Smiley Embarassed Smiley LOL (Or, you know, feel free to quench it by suggesting your own Smiley Happy ). 

Spoiler
Primary red flags, just in case - addressing me as "dear", and zero substance to the message, as in no questions, or reasons given why they want me to contact them. Item in question is just a $9 hand tool, BTW Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

The 'dear' would do it for me.

If I replied, which I probably wouldn't, it would be to inform them that the item is for purchase on eBay and no communication will be or should be entered into.

Do you have any geoblocks in place? Or buyer blocks? They might be trying to circumvent them.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

Yes, scam.

But... I know the awful temptation of Jamesveitchedness, a condition in which one wants to play with the scammer like a kitten with a mouse.

Hallo esteemed darling, I am so amazed that you like the product I made it out of human hair of a rare Pygmy race in Bogela Mbobsyaonkla. If you want product you are going to have to help me get hold of more Pygmies I need their hair and also secret ingredient their sebaceous filaments Can you help (just grab whole Pygmies when you can) if so reply to my research and development manager he will arrange all details thank you have spiffing day.

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

Curiosity may have killed the cat but satisfaction brought it back.

Message 21 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

The 'dear' would do it for me.

If I replied, which I probably wouldn't, it would be to inform them that the item is for purchase on eBay and no communication will be or should be entered into.

Do you have any geoblocks in place? Or buyer blocks? They might be trying to circumvent them.

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

I only ship within Australia, while I don't have an exclusion list all the blocks tend to work regardless (buying block always works, and the messaging only mostly works). I did wonder if they were interested in buying, but the item is pretty generic and various versions of it are widely available for wordwide shipping at both lower and higher price points, so there's nothing particularly special or appealing about mine (except having me as the seller, that is Smiley LOL Smiley LOL). 

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

Yes, scam.

But... I know the awful temptation of Jamesveitchedness, a condition in which one wants to play with the scammer like a kitten with a mouse.

Hallo esteemed darling, I am so amazed that you like the product I made it out of human hair of a rare Pygmy race in Bogela Mbobsyaonkla. If you want product you are going to have to help me get hold of more Pygmies I need their hair and also secret ingredient their sebaceous filaments Can you help (just grab whole Pygmies when you can) if so reply to my research and development manager he will arrange all details thank you have spiffing day.

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

Those videos are classic - I love the one where he obessesed over getting a free toaster Smiley LOL

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

I was re-watching that just last night!

"Toaster Bonaaaaaanza!           No conditions apply."

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

I think we should go for the Delonghi 4 slicer in red.  Smiley LOL

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

That bit where he says "This sounds like a broken man..."

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

Are you familiar with David Thorne? If not, the guy has pretty much perfected being a professional antagonist - there's a few classic stories on his website that are well worth the read. Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

Ohhh...  (hurries off to check)

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply