To measure or not to measure?

So, new changes coming up on eBay November 1st.

I will be continuing as I have too much stock to get rid of.

Having a think about strategies to prevent SNADs as much as possible.

So what is the current thinking about providing measurements for garments - and maybe other stock too? I know it has come up a bit in previous discussions, but I would like to get more ideas.....

At the moment I do give mm, which I think is part of good customer service.  Now more interested in survival.  

Logically, if mm aren't given, then if there is less for the buyer to dispute?  After all, mm can be a bit arbirary if there is stretch in the fabric, or you take a waist mm from a different place than the buyer, etc etc etc.  Not saying I'm inaccurate, it's just not an exact science.

I could state in the listings for buyer to request mm instead.  This would also save alot of time and I could do listings faster.  Then if the buyer wants mm, take a photo of the item with the tape measure when I do it  <<this would be too time-consuming for every garment, I would rather rip my nails out with pliers>>

Of course I would provide mm in listings for select reasons, like a really small/large size compared to label, european or designer sizing, etc.

OR do others think that NOT giving mm will initiate more SNADs if clothes don't fit?

Do people ever read the mm anyway?

Thoughts??!!

Message 1 of 45
Latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

I'm a bit late to the discussion, but I suggest that as a seller don't bother giving measurements. It's a lesson I learned based on my own experience both as a buyer and seller in eBay.

Normally, as a buyer, I only go for brands I already own so I am aware about the sizing. Occasionally, there are size variations or a brand I am not aware of, so if I'm unsure, and I really like the item, I make the point of emailing the seller and asking for measurements then. But honestly, most of the time I've bought clothes without measurements.

My experience is that as a seller you open yourself to less 'disputes' if you don't put measurements in. Why? Last year, I bought 3 City Chic XS dresses from a seller. Didn't bother asking for measurements because that's the size I used to wear for City Chic. When the dresses arrived, 1 of the 3 didn't fit. I tried returning the dress, but the seller didn't accept, and eBay sided with the seller. They said I couldn't claim a refund because everything the seller wrote in their description was correct.  Note that the seller didn't provide any measurements in her description.

A year later situation was reversed. I listed something on eBay in great condition. Listed everything correctly, didn't provide measurements. When it sold, the seller emailed later asking for a refund because it didn't fit her. Nothing wrong with the dress or my description.  She said it just didn't fit her. When I told eBay the situation, they said I wasn't obliged to provide a refund.

Recently, I've started providing measurements for some items I'm selling or referring to the actual size guide site of the brand of clothing I'm selling (eg Diana Ferrari, City Chic, JacquiE have online size guides). My rate of sales didn't really change much, and the ones that sold more were items I didn't list specific measurements for, ie dresses from City Chic. Because I know no matter how well you try to measure things accurately, you can still have slight variations, I started listing my own measurements with the words 'approximate measurements'. 

Recently, I got one unhappy customer who got upset because according to her my waist measurements was off by less than an inch. I listed the approx waist measurement was around 36.2 inches, she measured the waist to be 'too stretched' at  37 inches' (I don't know how given the material of the dress wasn't the type that stretches at all). Even though I pointed out to her that my measurment was an approx so could have slight variation, she got upset and said I wasn't being truthful in my listing. In good faith, I politely offered a refund if she returned the skirt. The buyer refused the refund,  but proceeded to send me 5 angry emails about the inaccuracy of my listing and said she would give me a bad rating because I didn't show "any remorse".

When I approached eBay about the situation, they were happy with my polite email and my offer of refund. They said that was the 'right thing to do'. But when I asked them if I had the right to refuse the refund given my listing specifically said "Approximate measurement", EBay's response was that they they DON'T ACCEPT APPROXIMATE MEASUREMENTS. What is more disturbing is when I asked them, how can you establish the truth on the exact measurements of the skirt given that I gave one measurement, the buyer says another one. How will you go about investigating the matter? Will you hire a third party to measure the skirt? eBay couldn't give me a direct response. Just the usual spiel about they will 'review' the emails sent. In fact their response basically implied that I as a seller should give 100% EXACT measurements 100% of the time. When I told them even online retailers like JacquiE provide ranges for their measurements not exact measurements, they reiterated expected me a non-professional retailer or dressmaker to give 100% accurate measurements, 100% of the time. 

So based on my experiences, I'd say don't bother listing measurements in your description. I'd only give it if a buyer asks for it, and I'm going to do what online retailer does and provide a range, because if you listed that a waist measurement is 'approximately 36.2 inches', but the buyer claims it's 37 inches, you can be rest assured eBay is going to side with the buyer.

Message 31 of 45
Latest reply

Yes, you are a bit late to the discussion and like many of the zombie threads that are being resurrected you have not really added anything to the information.

It has been proved many times over that ebay sides with the buyer's "opinion" rather than any facts that the seller may present in a dispute.

Message 32 of 45
Latest reply

It is an old thread. I often get caught as I rarely look at the dates on things & I am not sure how worthwhile it is to drag up old threads as things change.

But I did find it interesting info about how you can't afford to offer approx measurements. I suspect you are right, it is best to just provide a summary of what is actually on the tag. No promises made, no promises broken.

Message 33 of 45
Latest reply

Just my three penneth worth, and totally OT - but....

I won't buy from anyone who puts their clothes on the floor to photograph them.

Just sayin'

Message 34 of 45
Latest reply

Well, I am new to the community, and I saw that the seller was thinking of going for the "approximate measure" option. As someone who found out recently that even doing this won't protect a seller from a dispute, I thought it best to share it with the community as I didn't see anyone commenting about going for the approximate measure option in this thread.

Also, it is not true eBay always sides with the buyer's opinion, as proven when I complained about a dress that didn't fit me and the seller didn't place any measurements in their listing. It was actually in the seller's favour that they didn't put much detail in their listing because eBay told me I am not entitled to a refund because everything stated in the seller's minimal listing was true.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, I had no idea there was a law against sharing an experience to an old thread. 

Message 35 of 45
Latest reply

I've experienced the complete opposite of saturn. Having measurements has been a protection against negative feedback for any doesn't fit comments, and returns opened for not as described rather than 'doesn't fit' change of mind return as they should be.

When eBay reps have checked my listings to view the measurements, they stated that a buyer does not have a basis to claim doesn't fit and acted accordingly. I've never had someone challenge my actual measurements as saturn describes so can't say how that would go for me, but on balance this seems more rare than my other experiences where it had been a lifesaver, so I will keep putting measurements in.

Message 36 of 45
Latest reply

@saturninav71 wrote:

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, I had no idea there was a law against sharing an experience to an old thread. 

There is no law against it but it is often counter productive as many responders just ignore old threads that have sprung back to life.

The ebay rules and regulations change so often these days that most threads over a few months old are so out of date as to be useless.

If you need help with anything it is more productive to start a new thread and get up to date information tailored to your specific problem.

Message 37 of 45
Latest reply

Quite interesting how things turned out for you, but not really surprising because I do find eBay could be inconsistent on how they resolve or respond to cases based on the different posts I've read.

In my case, ebay told me clearly that stating that my measurement was an approximate was unacceptable to them (even if my approximate measurement was less than an inch different than the buyer's measurement claim).

Thanks for sharing your experience -- reading about other buyers' and sellers' experiences has been really helpful. 🙂

Message 38 of 45
Latest reply

Even half an inch can be the difference between an item fitting and not fitting.

Would you expect a buyer to be happy if the skirt or jeans would not do up because the seller did not give accurate measurements?

Message 39 of 45
Latest reply

In the situation I was in, the seller's complaint was that the skirt was 'too lose' on her.

Secondly, in my description, I clearly stated the measurement was an 'approximate measurement', so there is a chance of some slight variances.

I'm an active buyer too on eBay and other online retailers. When I buy items and there are measurements provided, I always factor in allowances for slight variances in measurements. As a buyer, I too have become unhappy with some purchases I made because they didn't fit me well, and as stated in my post, items I couldn't even return. At the end of the day, I just tried selling the item myself, or negotiate something with the seller in a polite manner.

If you read my original post, I responded kindly back to the buyer and offered a refund. After that polite response and offer of refund, the buyer sent me several emails until late in the evening, that were quite unpleasant. My two emails offering a refund was refused, and instead I get a message with something threatening. I sought eBay's advice about the matter, they have reviewed the emails between me and the seller, and they said I can file a complaint.

Message 40 of 45
Latest reply