Unauthorised Chargeback on a Pickup Item

We sold a set of 6 Chairs at the beginning of December - buyer paid via Paypal - 1 month later we receive a chargeback for "unauthorsied Use of Card Card" we immediately phone the buyer who denied lodging this - tried to tell us her paypal account must have been hacked - she promised to phone them and her bank to sort this out but hasnt done so - she will not answer calls or texts from us - rang Paypal and lodged the claim and heard back tonight that we lost the claim due to no proof of delivery - the claim was never for item not received - I sent copies of text messages from her arranging pickup - I have lodged a claim with Financial Ombudsman as well - Paypal have charged back $3010 so our account has a negative balance that includes a $15 fee - I have checked her out on Facebook and she has photos of her family sitting on the chairs - should police be the next step as she is obviously just trying to get away with getting the chairs for nothing - I will add that as we are a retail store I have now arranged with Ebay to have Paypal removed as a payment option and will never accept payments through them again - has anyone else had a similar problem and how did you deal with it ?

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Unauthorised Chargeback on a Pickup Item

contact the ABC (7:30 report)-there was just a few nights ago a story of a guy using gumtree to scam people with credit card chargebacks-i'm sure ABC would LOVE to hear of your situation, especially considering the story on ABC was for less than what you got cheated for.  Ebay has become a dangerous risky place to sell because of paypal.  Hearing stories like this has now made me reconsider ebay completely for the new year.

Message 12 of 29
Latest reply

I havent seen that and cant recall seeing it anywhere else either. 

I just go on whats on the Paypal transaction detail.

- Ship to buyers address on this page.

- Use a shipping service with signature confirmation

- Save all tracking information or other proof of shipment.

Message 13 of 29
Latest reply

Which has nothing to do with a pick-up item

Message 14 of 29
Latest reply

Just wanted to clarify as a post above does not give details as to what is covered - Paypal still do not offer buyer protection for pick up items claimed as not received.

S10.2 Any item you collect in person or arrange to be collected on your behalf is not eligible to be claimed as not received.

For goods that have been picked up and a claimed as signficantly not as described - the odds are more in a sellers favour as they have been accepted by the buyer on collection.  That being said, for example, if something is sold in good mechanical working order and it packs up the next day, the buyer may be able to win a claim, though providing they returned goods to a disgrunteld seller, may on occassion be tricky.

Credit card chargebacks on pick up items are different, as Paypal must abide by the lawful terms of a bank's credit card transaction.

Message 15 of 29
Latest reply

Sorry, I thought the OP said the buyer paid with Paypal and picked the item up.

The OP is the one with the problem not the buyer.

If the buyer paid with paypal what would have been written on the Paypal reciept?

Message 16 of 29
Latest reply

Take photos of her Facebook pages. A good chance they will come in handy. Also report her to ACORN. They will follow up. I did it with a buyer who received a refund and kept my item after sending back a totally different item after claiming not as described. ACORN lodged a notice with the West Aust police.

Message 17 of 29
Latest reply

I live locally to the OP's local Police Station & had an issue with a scam buyer some 2 years back & the local police were most singularly unhelpful & very derogatory with regards to online selling! My scammer was from another more rural suburb & (I quote)  "known to them" but I still lost over $900 for a collectable doll.

They just aren't good @ helping with online fraud! No amount of paperwork will help if the OP is dealing with them!

The OP has a B&M shop (I've been there) I don't know what to suggest; But the local Police aren't the answer!

Message 18 of 29
Latest reply

Redders, the local police don't deal with on-line fraud.  That's why there's ACORN.

It's specifically for on-line fraud.  They deal with it.

https://www.acorn.gov.au/

Message 19 of 29
Latest reply

The following worked for me about 18 Months ago:

- Send them a private Invoice for what they owe you with 14 days to pay - They will either ignore it or there's a slim chance that they will contact you saying they have elready won the Case with PayPal/Ebay... If so, just point out them that Ebay & PayPal are now out of the game but you are persuing the Debt.

- In 14 Days time send a Final Notice with a message that if the Debt isn't settled in 7 days you will take further action (Don't use the words "Legal Action")

- Contact a Private Debt Collector - preffably one that will actually buy the Debt from you.

- Sell the Debt - You may not get the whole amount owing but at least you have rid youself of the headache ....

Message 20 of 29
Latest reply