Usual time expected between selling and being paid

cddlb
Community Member

Hello again,  Item sold on Saturday of the long weekend, I sent an invoice- there has been no contact from the seller at all.  My idea/guess is that they are away.

This set me thinking about what is the usual time between a sale and payment.  I am unable to find anything on it within my listings.    I had thought it was an automatic inclusion - like all the info available about postage - is this something I am meant to include in my blurb?  Somethin like "payment expected within three days of purchase'.  

Some of my sellers haave paid even before I am aware of the item selling, making me think the gap in time was s short one.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Usual time expected between selling and being paid

Assuming it's buy now item, you can set payment with PayPal immeidate payment thus you will get paid immeidately if buyer want that item. Item is available to other buyer if unpaid.
Message 11 of 21
Latest reply

djavu, all the OP's current and completed listings are for auction only, with no BIN's on the auctions.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 12 of 21
Latest reply

I used to have a line in my listings that stated my terms were 7 days for payment, though you also used to have to wait that long before you could open a UPI. When they shortened it to 4 days, my terms became 5 days, but a year or so ago I decided to remove it completely. I don't know how much of a difference it really made, as all of my items are Buy It Now and most people pay immediately, but basically I figured having a timeframe on it made people more comfortable with buying items and not paying for them sraight away (as in, if you clearly state buyers don't have to pay straight away, then you'll get a few buyers who purchase knowing that, buying specifically with the intention of paying after a certain date - often times those types of buyers are just window shopping,and don't come back to complete the sale). 

Since I removed mention of payment timeframes in my listing, the rate of these kinds of shoppers has dropped, but I couldn't say for sure whether that's due to me taking the phrase out of listings, or something else (eg ebay is much more retail focused than it used to be, and online shoppers are used to having to pay for items immediately - auctions are a little different, of course, since they may not be at the computer when it ends, so it may be more advantageous to have something in listings about payment - I wouldn't state any longer than 5 days, personally, even if prepared to wait longer). 

Message 13 of 21
Latest reply

Thanks so much - it realy explains the situation I got myself into without actually knowing what it involved.  So why is an option if not actually necessary/required?  

As I have said before - eBay is now a very different animal to 4 years ago.  I'm still finding it very cumberson to use.

Message 14 of 21
Latest reply

thanks for this!
Message 15 of 21
Latest reply

Thank you. ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 16 of 21
Latest reply

@cddlb wrote:

So why is an option if not actually necessary/required?  

I would say they've left it as an option to give another buffer to privacy (or allow shill bidders a bit more leeway - bear in mind it's all money in the bank for eBay if auction prices get inflated, and anecdotally eBay doesn't come down too hard on shill bidding.  original.gif)

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 17 of 21
Latest reply

If the buyer buys from a seller who doesn't sell very many items you can sometimes work out what they bought by looking at the seller's feedback and matching up the buyer's feedback score to fb left for or by the seller, so there are probably times for it, but I'd say the benefits of having it all public outweigh the disadvantages because of people being so wary about private listings.
Message 18 of 21
Latest reply

thank you padi*
Message 19 of 21
Latest reply

Thanks Brerrabbit - you always make sense.
Message 20 of 21
Latest reply