What increases sales?

Hey all,

I hope everyone is doing ok and sales are booming in a tough climate. 

I was wondering what you guys have found that seems to increase sales. I have heard on these boards over the years many theories about ways to increase sales such as; continuously adding new stock/listings, editing older listings, key words in the title etc. Obviously the major things go without saying which is quality of stock and price and quality of images. 

At other times though there have been theories that it doesn't matter what you list as eBay will 'throttle' your account with 'lights out' periods. I certainly have experienced many times where nothing is happening which does suggest that the 'lights out' phenomena does indeed exist. 

Does it go hand in hand that the more listings you have, the more share of sales you get? let's say you have 200 listings valued at $2000, and you sell a monthly figure of $300, would you expect to double your monthly figure if you doubled the listings and value? 

Wondering what others thoughts are on what they have found has increased sales if anything? 

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: What increases sales?

imastawka
Honored Contributor

What increases sales?

In my particular case, the death of a Monarch is helping move a lot of stock that was stagnant.

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

I agree with your comments 100%. We always had consistent sales each month. Now for the last 6 months we are getting throttled by ebay. We have 3 or 4 quick sales then nothing for 3 weeks. Then another 3 or 4 quick sales then nothing for 3 weeks. It seems that ebay gives us a couple of sales at the beginning of the month then nothing for the rest of the month. I think they do this to spread sales around to all buyers to keep you interested in selling on ebay. We also have our own website and sell on Amazon. We get no throttling on these other platforms, just consistent sales. I think the time has come to give up on ebay. Too many hidden algorithms and too many fees.

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

Your choice, no need to advertise. See ya.

I might check your account in a few months. London to a brick, you are still listing on eBay.

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

@japatech wrote:

I agree with your comments 100%. We always had consistent sales each month. Now for the last 6 months we are getting throttled by ebay. We have 3 or 4 quick sales then nothing for 3 weeks. Then another 3 or 4 quick sales then nothing for 3 weeks. It seems that ebay gives us a couple of sales at the beginning of the month then nothing for the rest of the month. I think they do this to spread sales around to all buyers to keep you interested in selling on ebay. We also have our own website and sell on Amazon. We get no throttling on these other platforms, just consistent sales. I think the time has come to give up on ebay. Too many hidden algorithms and too many fees.

Ebay won't care if you move to a different platform. If that works for you, move. Seriously, you aren't even a grain of sand on a beach to ebay. You won't be missed. Certainly not by ebay. Especially as you've had a WHOPPING 11 sales in the last 3 months.  Oh wait, maybe your 11 sales is what's keeping ebay afloat. Please don't leave!

Good luck with your fees on the other sites. Personal experience, way higher than ebay, but if you're happy with that, go for it.

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply