What is acceptable postage cost?

I recently sold an item to user with ID  REMOVED . Feed this person left me was positive yet, comment was rather interesting. Comment was; "Good seller, accurate description, only have issue with the shipping prices..."

I replied "Postage was $7.95+ 87cents ebay fee, I charged you $7.95, should've been $8.82." which is totally true. He messaged me and said that posting Hotwheels used to be dirt cheap and paying more for postage than cost of actual item was slightly unfair.  Why didn't this idiot check things before bidding? and Item he got was 3 hotwheels Lamborghini which retail cost was $10 Australian dollars as 2 of them was short cards costing $3 each and third item was Batman Lamborghini which retailed at $4.  

Majority of buyers haven't had issues about postage cost as I only charge what Australia Post charges me and I don't add eBay fee on postage cost.  

I thought I'd share this with others as I am rather intrigued by people's ignorance.  Have nice day.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: What is acceptable postage cost?

It says more about them than you......if they didn't like the shipping cost - why on earth did they buy???
Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Your postage rate is more than acceptable.   I usually charge $10 for 500g,  $15.00 for 3kg,  $20.00 for 5kg and $30 for 10kg.

Have to cover your costs,  Postage, ebay fees + additional packaging.

I have had people refuse to pay  eg. $15  telling me cost should be $13, quess what, I dont care, I dont have to subsidise their

purchases by offering postage at a loss.  I subsidise it enough by not charging for time and transport to PO.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

sukuki-6, I'm with you on this!

Just because an item itself costs - let's say, $1 - that doesn't mean it can be posted for $1. Postage costs are set by Australia Post (or courier/deliverer). It's also reasonable to add your additional costs involved in posting the item (packaging, signature on delivery, etc.) The buyer is looking at the situation through a pair of "should be" glasses, where one's mind creates a special internal logic that is based on what one feels things should be.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Tell them if it's a change of mind then you'll refund them when they post it back - at their cost.

Hahahahahahahaha

Just kidding.......................seriously some people just haven't got a clue!

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Well you may be starting to realize how many idiots there are.  When I started selling PC games $2 postage for a large lettler (I supplied the padded envelope) I got dinged 3 stars for postage costs.  Also dinged three stars for postage time for one that was posted within the hour, but had to travel across the country. Some of them are living in the dark ages and don't realize that costs have gone up, and still expect to pay what they paid ten or twenty years ago. Tell them to go whinge to Australia Post, or tell them you do not own Australia Post, so you have no say over the matter.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

He messaged me and said that posting Hotwheels used to be dirt cheap.

Years ago many sellers would pop those kinds of items in a large envelope but AP don't allow it anymore.

There are some people you cannot please. They will probably always be noobs. Just forget it.

Yoi sabisu o teikyo shi tsudzukeru. Smiley Wink 

image host
Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Thank you everyone. My response was yes, they would've been cheap if we are still living in 1980's and if you want item arrive in **bleep**py condition. I bubble wrap everything and post them in a box. Bubble wrap and packing tapes all cost money!
Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

Your postage cost is perfect for what you are posting. To post Hotwheels cars in a box (which I assume you did)  is not cheap and $7.95 would be the minimum that you could send it for. Personally I would up the price of the cars and drop the postage. Total would be the same but then the buyer wouldn't be complaining about postage costs as this one did.

I box mine then place the box in a prepaid satchel so charge either $8.50 (500g & under) or $13.80 for  an up to 3 kg satchel.

Most hotwheels I sell are sold in lots of 8 or 10 cars etc and charge $13.80 postage. The box and bubble wrap costs me about $2 total but don't add that to the postage but factor that cost into the price of the cars.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

I was once told by a buyer who had requested I lower my postage charge that it was "the principle of the matter", because the item was $3.50 and the postage was $4.00 (international postage, buyer was in the US).

I wanted to suggest that I could hike the item price so that it was higher than postage, but in the end I replied that if I were the CEO of Australia Post, I'd be happy to see what I could do to lower postage costs for delivery to the other side of the world.

Never heard back, though they did buy.
Message 10 of 17
Latest reply