What is my eBay status as a seller , eg private or power or business.

cddlb
Community Member

I was invited to list 10 items in March with no fees ie either listing or FV.  This was offered to those who have not been on ebay for at least a year and are new or casual users of eBay.  I have now listed  my 10 items and have another 11 items ready to list in the 40 items free per month.  I am using templates to prepare my items. 

Apparently I am not elegible for the relist x 3 for free option becasue I have over the years sold/listed 497 item - have a feed back of 444.  I have NOT sold since July 2014 so it has been some time between sellling.  I had a live chat with Cheryl who advised me that becasue of my previous  sales record I do not qualify as the chriteria has changed in that time.

I find that a bit harsh.  On one hand I get the offer yet when I start listing I am supposedly in a different catagory.  The 3 free relistings are for me an emormous carrot. 

The peamble is leading to the question - so what category am I?  If a "casual" is it because I am using the template option to prepare my listings that I am not getting the 3 fre relisting?  Or some other reason?

Thank you for your time and have a wonderful day  cddlb

Message 1 of 46
Latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

You seem to have a lot of feedback from when you used to sell, so I doubt you'd have a listing limit of 10. If you go part way down your selling page there should be a heading for "monthly selling limits". That will tell you if you have a limit and what the number is. If for example you have a limit of 100 items a month, you still only get 40 free listings a month. Over that you will pay an insertion fee. 

That doesn't help with the 3 free relists though! If you've got anyone in the house who is up with 21st century technology, ask them to install the eBay app and then try to revise on there and see if that makes it appear. 

Message 21 of 46
Latest reply

Try again, my first effort was rejected.

Thank you very much tippy toes for this info.  I had a look but not able to see "Monthly sell limits" on the active selling page.  Is that the right place to be looking?

I do no have a smart phone so can not do the app bit unless it can be done on a computer?

I last sold about mid 2014 which is why I could be classed as a newbie which is why the suggestions above talk about the limit of 10.  Been thinking about that.  If can only list 10 and have to do my own relist to keep within the 40 per month which I guess go towards the 40 it will take a long time to reach what ever goal I need to get the free 3 reinstated?  On one of the pages I do get a 40 available in a circle.  When I first started I went across to the page where I can use templates so as not to have to type everything each time I list.  Can that have anything to do with the pickle I find my self in re this matter?

Thanks again cheers.  

Message 22 of 46
Latest reply

@cddlbwrote:

Try again, my first effort was rejected.

Thank you very much tippy toes for this info.  I had a look but not able to see "Monthly sell limits" on the active selling page.  Is that the right place to be looking?

I do no have a smart phone so can not do the app bit unless it can be done on a computer?

I last sold about mid 2014 which is why I could be classed as a newbie which is why the suggestions above talk about the limit of 10.  Been thinking about that.  If can only list 10 and have to do my own relist to keep within the 40 per month which I guess go towards the 40 it will take a long time to reach what ever goal I need to get the free 3 reinstated?  On one of the pages I do get a 40 available in a circle.  When I first started I went across to the page where I can use templates so as not to have to type everything each time I list.  Can that have anything to do with the pickle I find my self in re this matter?

Thanks again cheers.  

I don't know whether you use Seller Hub or not, but if you don't, click on All Selling on the left (under Sell) and at the top of the page it'll show any selling limits that apply to you.  I'd be very surprised if they ever affect you because you've had your account for almost 13 years and they don't seem to apply to older accounts.

The same applies to paypal holding payments - it doesn't seem to affect accounts that were opened a long time ago, though it might if you didn't register as a seller until a long time after you opened the account.  I don't think paypal would be able to tell you whether they'd hold your payments for 21 days as they do that on ebay's instructions, but it'd be a waste of time asking ebay, and I'd tend to let sleeping dogs lie anyway.  Just wait and see what happens.

If something has auto relist on it you'll see Remove Automatic Relist on the bottom of the dropdown menu to the right of each active item on your selling list.  If you're using the standard new listing format the box to tick auto relist is immediately above the Postage Details section towards the bottom of the page (below the box to tick for Private Listing).

I doubt not having AR is anything to do with the fact that you've only got a few listings.  Have you checked that your account is indeed registered as an Individual rather than a business?  Go to Account, then Personal Information, and your account type is the first entry under Account Information at the top of the page.

You may get a few extra free listings in one of their promotions.  If you go to the bottom of your All Selling page it'll show you how many of your 40 you have left, plus it'll show you any other promotions you can accept.  Some don't show there unless you click on a link in an email but lately they show there without needing to do it via the emails.

Message 23 of 46
Latest reply

BLESS YOU tippy toes!! What a helpful 5 para's this has been.  I think we may have cracked it but not sure how to be sure about it.  Probably just wait and see what happens eg if it turns out to be an auto adjustment over say 24 hours.  So the question now is "will it show up automatically on my saved templates?"

Para 1 and 5 - I am shown to have 40 free items for free in April and that I've used up the 10 in the March promotin.  All OK there.  It was the March promo that got me here tho I have been wanting to start selling for quite some time.

Para 2 - Good-oh - as you say nothing we can do about it.

Para 3 - I went into the actual listing - nope not there.  Nor showing under the More Action button on the right of the list of items for sale.

Para 4 - this is where we may have cracked it!!  My account type said  "not specified"  clicked Edit-  the Individual type was highlighted so saved it.  So lets see what happens.  I've gone and checked my prepared listings but no change there at the moment.

I printed a copy of your reply and went through each para step by step - SO helpful and very clearly stated.   THANK YOU 

Cheers  Caroline 

Message 24 of 46
Latest reply

Sorry not to notice it was you "brerrabbit" but the sentiment remains. 🙂
Message 25 of 46
Latest reply

Try starting a new listing from scratch, without using a template. I've never used templates, so don't know if they make a difference or not. You don't have to keep typing in the same old stuff for each listing without a template. Once you have one listing done, you can use the sell similar option. Then you just need to change the bits that need changing (title, photos, item specifics, any of the description). 

I use sell similar as it means I don't have to keep writing the boring stuff. I just change the few bits that need changing to suit the new listing.

Keep an eye out on Sundays because eBay have been running promos every Sunday for (up to) $1 FVF's. Those listings come off the promo, not your monthly limit. That way you could list everything on a Sunday and if you can't get auto relists, then you can use the promo to relist.

Given you were a previous seller, as I said earlier, you won't have dropped back to a listing limit of 10. IF you do have a limit, when you are 5 listings away from reaching that limit, you will get a message appear after you submit a listing. It will say something like "you can only list 5 more items this month. Contact eBay to have your limit increased".

As also mentioned, even though you previously had a good track record for selling, you'll still be subject to PayPal's 21 day hold. If you upload the tracking number into both eBay and PayPal, it should automatically release the funds 3 days after tracking says delivered. If it doesn't. ring PayPal and they will release it while you are on the phone. Make sure you have the tracking number handy so they can check it. The hold lasts for about 3 months.

Message 26 of 46
Latest reply

Thank you for this.  I did try the Sunday special but am not sure I fully understand how it works.  I used BIN and 5 day listing but suspect that is not the way to go,  Buy and Sell in the 1 day?  In that case to relist I would change the duration of the listing which would make it a new list and not a relist?

On my unsold items I am asked to relist.  Would this be the case if I had the free x 3 relist option?  The ones I have done using the relsit are showing up in my 40 per month total.  Nothing is selling at the moment so to have the 3 free relist would be a BIG bonus and so not use up the monthly 40.

I have not rung PayPal as was suggested but have been buying out of it with no hastles so hope all is well there.

Message 27 of 46
Latest reply

@cddlbwrote:

I have not rung PayPal as was suggested but have been buying out of it with no hastles so hope all is well there.

With the items you've sold, were they paid with Paypal? If so and the funds went through ok (apart from the 21 day hold) then you should be right.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 28 of 46
Latest reply

Yes they were paid through PP, Thanks
Message 29 of 46
Latest reply

Why would you list a BIN for only 5 days? List them for 30 days minimum. 

The Sunday special, they have to be listed on that day. They don't have to sell that day. Providing you list them that day, they qualify for the promotion. As soon as they are relisted (either manually or auto), they no longer qualify and the selling fees go back to normal (unless you relist them on the Sunday). If you want shorter duration listings, list them as 7 day auctions. That way they end each Sunday and can be relisted using the promo.

If your items are sitting in the unsold section and are asking to be relisted, then they haven't auto relisted. Make sure the dropdown box in the unsold section is saying to only show items that haven't relisted yet. Otherwise you could relist something twice, or accidentally relist something that has sold.

Message 30 of 46
Latest reply