What is my eBay status as a seller , eg private or power or business.

cddlb
Community Member

I was invited to list 10 items in March with no fees ie either listing or FV.  This was offered to those who have not been on ebay for at least a year and are new or casual users of eBay.  I have now listed  my 10 items and have another 11 items ready to list in the 40 items free per month.  I am using templates to prepare my items. 

Apparently I am not elegible for the relist x 3 for free option becasue I have over the years sold/listed 497 item - have a feed back of 444.  I have NOT sold since July 2014 so it has been some time between sellling.  I had a live chat with Cheryl who advised me that becasue of my previous  sales record I do not qualify as the chriteria has changed in that time.

I find that a bit harsh.  On one hand I get the offer yet when I start listing I am supposedly in a different catagory.  The 3 free relistings are for me an emormous carrot. 

The peamble is leading to the question - so what category am I?  If a "casual" is it because I am using the template option to prepare my listings that I am not getting the 3 fre relisting?  Or some other reason?

Thank you for your time and have a wonderful day  cddlb

Message 1 of 46
Latest reply
12 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

If your account is not specifically registered as a business account, you would remain a private seller. You couldn't be a power seller if you haven't sold since 2014, as the criteria for that is US$1000 and at least 100 sales in a 12 month period.

I think the reasons (or excuses) eBay provide for withdrawing perks like that are fairly arbitrary a lot of the time. eBay CS probably doesn't even know why it's not being made available to you, so they give whatever vague answer will satisfy someone enough to end the contact, only to later go "wait a minute...." 

I think there's a couple of tricks that can be tried to see if the free relists crop up, but others will be a bit more knowledgeable about those.

I just thought I'd mention as well (on the off-chance you're not aware), that it's possible your PayPal payments will now be subject to the 21 day holds, since it's been a few years since you last sold (the money gets paid to your account and you're expected to post immediately, but the funds are not accessible to you for 21 days, it's supposed to minimise risk to eBay / PayPal if there's a transaction problem). 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 46
Latest reply

You are a casual private seller unless you registered your account as business.

But that is kind of irrelevant as all new sellers have restrictions. Even if you were a seller but haven't sold for over 12 months, the restrictions come back. Limit of 10 listings and you will also have a 21 day hold on funds in PayPal.

The 3 free relists are only for qualified members. They come and go.

I only sell one item every 1-2 weeks and I don't have them anymore.

image host

Message 3 of 46
Latest reply

I have used Pay Pal recently but that was to buy.  Th 21 day hold - is that only for the first lot or for all payment received?    Again its a WHY?  Thanks for your reply  🙂

Message 4 of 46
Latest reply

Thank you.  That makes more sense than the chat with Cheryl!  So how many do I have to list/sell to become available for the  free relists?

I do not fully understand your 1-2 items coment.

Have a ggreat day  🙂

Message 5 of 46
Latest reply

In other words, I sell as little as one item per week or two and even I don't qualify for the 3 free relists.

In the past the 3 free relists were available for nearly all members but recently eBay take them away from those selling over a certain quota.

And as for PayPal, if you haven't sold on eBay for a while, PayPal also consider you a new seller again and will probably place a 21 day hold unless PayPal can see online the item has been delivered. That also takes a little talking to PayPal to take effect.

It's mostly a security measure so sellers don't scam or send rubbish and clear out.

image host

Message 6 of 46
Latest reply

The 21 day hold will usually be in place until you have built up some more recent selling history - the general criteria for the holds to stop occurring is a recent sale but that's at least 90 days old, 25+ transactions and $250 sales value, but I'm not sure how set in stone that is. They say that if you upload tracking that can confirm delivery of the items, the funds will be released sooner, but anecdotally I think that may be relatively uncommon. 

Message 7 of 46
Latest reply

Thank you. I'll contact Pay pal and find out where I stand.

Message 8 of 46
Latest reply

Thnak you - I do not think I have the patience to do that. I'm an impatient (b) person!!

Message 9 of 46
Latest reply

As with eBay, you need to phone Paypal to get a real answer, otherwise you'll just get a cut and paste email response, that's unlikely to answer your specific question.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"

Message 16 of 46
Latest reply

@cddlbwrote:

Where do I go or to whom do I go to find out if I am being class as a newby?

Cheeers  🙂

Don't waste your time calling ebay or paypal to ask if you are classed as a new seller.....you ARE a new seller by their standards if it is several years since you have sold.

And there is no point being impatient....they will not change your listing limits immediately.  You have to prove you are a reliable seller before they will up your limits.

Message 19 of 46
Latest reply

If you're getting the Sunday promos then list as much as you can on Sunday so that you can relist them the next Sunday, and just use the 40 for any that you want to end on other days, or that you're prepared to put on 30 days.

If you use best offer you can set it to automatically accept offers over a certain amount if you want to. This means that the item sells if they offer more than the 'reserve' you put in, though they don't use the term reserve. Personally, I don't use best offer because I feel it can make you look desperate and people will always offer you less.

Just be patient because some things just need the right buyer to come along.

Message 39 of 46
Latest reply

Ebay's promotions are something that you just have to grab when they're available. The Sunday one was the best they've had in a while because of the limited fee for selling, but previously they've had all sorts of offers for no listing fees, but you could never rely on always getting them.

Good to see you're now getting the free relists!

Message 45 of 46
Latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

If your account is not specifically registered as a business account, you would remain a private seller. You couldn't be a power seller if you haven't sold since 2014, as the criteria for that is US$1000 and at least 100 sales in a 12 month period.

I think the reasons (or excuses) eBay provide for withdrawing perks like that are fairly arbitrary a lot of the time. eBay CS probably doesn't even know why it's not being made available to you, so they give whatever vague answer will satisfy someone enough to end the contact, only to later go "wait a minute...." 

I think there's a couple of tricks that can be tried to see if the free relists crop up, but others will be a bit more knowledgeable about those.

I just thought I'd mention as well (on the off-chance you're not aware), that it's possible your PayPal payments will now be subject to the 21 day holds, since it's been a few years since you last sold (the money gets paid to your account and you're expected to post immediately, but the funds are not accessible to you for 21 days, it's supposed to minimise risk to eBay / PayPal if there's a transaction problem). 

Message 2 of 46
Latest reply

You are a casual private seller unless you registered your account as business.

But that is kind of irrelevant as all new sellers have restrictions. Even if you were a seller but haven't sold for over 12 months, the restrictions come back. Limit of 10 listings and you will also have a 21 day hold on funds in PayPal.

The 3 free relists are only for qualified members. They come and go.

I only sell one item every 1-2 weeks and I don't have them anymore.

image host
Message 3 of 46
Latest reply

I have used Pay Pal recently but that was to buy.  Th 21 day hold - is that only for the first lot or for all payment received?    Again its a WHY?  Thanks for your reply  🙂

Message 4 of 46
Latest reply

Thank you.  That makes more sense than the chat with Cheryl!  So how many do I have to list/sell to become available for the  free relists?

I do not fully understand your 1-2 items coment.

Have a ggreat day  🙂

Message 5 of 46
Latest reply

In other words, I sell as little as one item per week or two and even I don't qualify for the 3 free relists.

In the past the 3 free relists were available for nearly all members but recently eBay take them away from those selling over a certain quota.

And as for PayPal, if you haven't sold on eBay for a while, PayPal also consider you a new seller again and will probably place a 21 day hold unless PayPal can see online the item has been delivered. That also takes a little talking to PayPal to take effect.

It's mostly a security measure so sellers don't scam or send rubbish and clear out.

image host
Message 6 of 46
Latest reply

The 21 day hold will usually be in place until you have built up some more recent selling history - the general criteria for the holds to stop occurring is a recent sale but that's at least 90 days old, 25+ transactions and $250 sales value, but I'm not sure how set in stone that is. They say that if you upload tracking that can confirm delivery of the items, the funds will be released sooner, but anecdotally I think that may be relatively uncommon. 

Message 7 of 46
Latest reply

Thank you. I'll contact Pay pal and find out where I stand.
Message 8 of 46
Latest reply

Thnak you - I do not think I have the patience to do that. I'm an impatient (b) person!!
Message 9 of 46
Latest reply

cddlb
Community Member
Thank you everyone 😉 Cheers
Message 10 of 46
Latest reply