Why are Final value fees so High

Why are Final value fees so High?

Once E Bay final fees apply and the paypal fee as well we are looking at around 13%... then the shipping cost have to be met.

I know a fee should apply but this makes selling low priced items not really worth the effort.

Yes I understand Profit Viability of a product.... But with the turn over E Bay makes... I believe the 9.9% on both item and shipping as well, is a bit rich... especially for those of us non business sellers.

"Crickey Mate" suggests finding another Platform and I have found more than one... I can still use Paypal and it will give me all the protections I require; and my overhead becomes much less. Very soon I will stop selling on Ebay that is of course unless things change.

If anyone agrees with my point of view I suggest they vote for change with their feet as I will be doing.

Good Luck everyone

Message 1 of 72
Latest reply
71 REPLIES 71

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

There have always been plenty of alternative venues to ebay but the problem is that the buyers do not visit them.

Before you give up your ebay selling I suggest you test the waters on those other venues....see how many sales you get in comparison to ebay.

Message 2 of 72
Latest reply

Hi, Thanks 

I have and and yes you are right; less traffic at the moment, but I am patient and as more people become aware of the selling and buying alternatives, things may change.

I do not depend on selling on E Bay for a living, it is a sideline. So, being protected by Pay Pal and other platforms is enough for now.

Also, through social media I will do a bit of, let's say, "awareness exposure" and see what eventuates.

As a buyer, ebays is pretty good.

As a seller, not so much -  for me.

And, I'm sure that I am not the only one a little miffed with things like 9.9% on shipping, when ebay has no part in that... no effort on their part, just pure profit gauging.

All I am saying is that if everyone puruses issues such as that... maybe someting might change.

I am a small fish in a big pond, so I will not be missed; but, if a large school of small fish leave... well...

Message 3 of 72
Latest reply

FYI REF: https://www.salehoo.com/blog/sick-of-ebay-try-these-alternative-places-to-sell#

Sick of eBay? Try these alternative places to sell... By Gina Broom..... So you're in a funk with eBay, or maybe you're just looking out into the big wide world of selling platforms to see what opportunities lay yonder. Either way, you've ended up here, and you wonder about the top alternatives to eBay and which ones will suit you most. No one can deny the power of eBay: Since 1995, eBay has held its place as one of the largest marketplaces in the world. It has turned thousands of hobbyists into PowerSellers and allowed thousands more to run profitable, at-home businesses. However, the eBay marketplace has evolved significantly in recent years, and various policy changes have prompted an exodus from eBay, as sellers look for other, more lucrative online marketplaces. Where there's a will there's a way, and this rise in need for other platforms has produced more options than you can shake the proverbial stick at. So what are these eBay alternatives? ***

Current Stats on voting on preferred selling sites eBay 31.62% Amazon 16.94% Etsy 9.1% Bonanza 9.32% Ruby Lane 0.48% Craigslist 8.54% eBid 2.22% My own online store 10.32% A niche-specific website 1.7% TradeMe 0.91% Other: 8.84%

Message 4 of 72
Latest reply

FYI... Reference for Alternative seeling platform, Reasearch https://www.salehoo.com/blog/sick-of-ebay-try-these-alternative-places-to-sell#
Message 5 of 72
Latest reply

spudd57joe wrote:

Hi, Thanks 

I have and and yes you are right; less traffic at the moment, but I am patient and as more people become aware of the selling and buying alternatives, things may change.

I have been reading posts such as this for in excess of 10 years now as have all the members who come to the boards,

We are all aware of the alternatives to ebay and many of us have tried them.

Almost without exception the sellers have come back to ebay after finding that there is just not the traffic on other sites.

As a buyer I have visited and bought on several other sites but I still find I keep coming back to ebay for a better selection of goods and better prices.

You will need to be very patient if you are going to wait for the other sites to be any real competition to ebay I'm afraid.

Message 6 of 72
Latest reply

thanks,
I have the patience of an oyster.... I have items on E Bay that have taken more than 8 months to sell.
and as I said if more people made their angst felt; things may change.
Can you honestly tell me you believe that 9.9% fee on postage is fair??

No worries I have sold a few items on other sites I.e in australia Gumtree and internationally on Amazon, and now depending on the item, trading post and others.
But that's what I prefere to do and if others wish to continue to be gauged ... ok.
I'm just asking that E bay be fair... and one day when other platforms become a theat they will, it's the nature of the beast.
regards, and happy selling
Message 7 of 72
Latest reply

I've tried a bunch of other websites over the years, on and off again, and nothing comes close to eBay.  eBay have an established hold on the traffic which will probably be this way for another 15 years, and that's just the way it is.

Gumtree (owned by eBay) has shown more success than other alternative sites but is full of people looking for near-free stuff and don't want to pay postage, so I just use it to bring traffic to my website.

The best other thing you can probably do is start your own website and get yourself into a good SEO ranking with Google searches.

Message 8 of 72
Latest reply

Yes you are correct;
They check out my stuff on e bay and by on Gumtree and pay around 15% less.... While listing on e bay is free, i may continue to do that with certain Items.....
I however only sell new items on Gumtree; sort the non serious buyers from the serious on gumtree by stateing sales only go through paypal and offer postage / shipping as an option at a competive rate... also i state all sales are refundable and protected by Pay pal... and if the buyer contacts me by phone directly, I may be flexible....buyers can come and look but the item will not be taken off until purchase is made.... usually If they want the item ... they pay through pay pal.
Over the past 2 months gumtree has represented around 30% of my sales and E bay 50%; other 20%
Yes I am also looking into my own site should I decide to become more serious.
Right now trial and error
Message 9 of 72
Latest reply

It amazes me how ebid has only 2.2% traffic as it's nearly identical to ebay without any fees if you purchase the life membership.

Plenty of watchers but no buyers.

Some that sell on both platforms have a very very big difference in sales with ebay being the better but still choose to stay on ebid.

I have tried most platforms in the past 12 months since being booted off ebay and I have given up totally from selling as there was no comparison selling wise that even came close to ebay lol.

So for now I'm just buying on ebay,hopefully one day I might sell again on ebay lol.

Fees or no fees ebay won't ever be beaten.

PS most sellers incorporate the fees into their pricing as you would be well aware of this.

Message 10 of 72
Latest reply