Why are Final value fees so High

Why are Final value fees so High?

Once E Bay final fees apply and the paypal fee as well we are looking at around 13%... then the shipping cost have to be met.

I know a fee should apply but this makes selling low priced items not really worth the effort.

Yes I understand Profit Viability of a product.... But with the turn over E Bay makes... I believe the 9.9% on both item and shipping as well, is a bit rich... especially for those of us non business sellers.

"Crickey Mate" suggests finding another Platform and I have found more than one... I can still use Paypal and it will give me all the protections I require; and my overhead becomes much less. Very soon I will stop selling on Ebay that is of course unless things change.

If anyone agrees with my point of view I suggest they vote for change with their feet as I will be doing.

Good Luck everyone

Message 1 of 72
Latest reply
71 REPLIES 71

Keeping in mind if costs are covered with no profits, everyone still retains their job at the salaries contracted.

image host
Message 21 of 72
Latest reply

As an infrequent seller I find the fvf reasonable.

I have my items for sale worldwide and ebay provide the venue for anyone to contact me and me contact them.

I can have a lot of photos on ebay and my descriptions can be very long.

I know they don't own Paypal anymore but they used to provide a payment service that enabled my to accept credit card payments

I know we are all critical of the current version of ebay but over many years it has served me well and to be honest I don't think the fvf is too high for all that they provide in promoting my product to the world.

Message 22 of 72
Latest reply

@spudd57joe wrote:

With all of the sales turn over, and having much much more of the market share than the other platforms... why are their profits so low??? Why are there so large losses????... Hmmm... management and Management performance may be in question.

If, from the turn over and billions being made World Wide, the company still shows minimal profit; then maybe a review of management practises, salaries and bonuses should be asked for by the share holders.

Just because the violins are being pulled out and played; dosen't convince me that some are not making a good good earner out of this poor little operation... I don't buy it.

And if anyone is happy with the way things are with fees etc. Then go for it and good luck with your endeavours. And I wish youi all the very best and success.

I am not trying to convince or suggest for anyone else to drop out of using E bay... I am just going to do what I feel is best for me. And, for me that means exploring other options for my self.... trial and error.... and who knows what's around the corner. Just because something is the way that it is, dosen't mean it has to be accepted; but if everyone accepts it without question, then nothing changes.

Good luck and I wish everyone a Happy and prosperous NEW YEAR. 🙂

I woudnt say I am happy with the direction ebay is going.  Two years ago I was a full time ebayer, but concerns about ebay management decisions including the commissions on postal costs and the disenchantment of smaller sellers meant I also needed to explore " other options." Like you I researched alternative online venues as well as the option of my own website. None of these options where viable as buyer traffic is too slow for the types of products I sell and start up websites have a very high failure rate due to the way google searches are structured. .  

For me " other options"  has meant starting a sheep grazing business to replace my ebay income. My ebay business is a third of what it was two years ago, but my sheep grazing business has tripled in size. There are "other options" besides online selling. I,m not just " accepting the way it is". I have had major concerns about ebays future viability and direction for some time and already taken actions to secure my own future income in a different vocation.

Message 23 of 72
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

@spudd57joe wrote:

With all of the sales turn over, and having much much more of the market share than the other platforms... why are their profits so low??? Why are there so large losses????... Hmmm... management and Management performance may be in question.

If, from the turn over and billions being made World Wide, the company still shows minimal profit; then maybe a review of management practises, salaries and bonuses should be asked for by the share holders.

Just because the violins are being pulled out and played; dosen't convince me that some are not making a good good earner out of this poor little operation... I don't buy it.

And if anyone is happy with the way things are with fees etc. Then go for it and good luck with your endeavours. And I wish youi all the very best and success.

I am not trying to convince or suggest for anyone else to drop out of using E bay... I am just going to do what I feel is best for me. And, for me that means exploring other options for my self.... trial and error.... and who knows what's around the corner. Just because something is the way that it is, dosen't mean it has to be accepted; but if everyone accepts it without question, then nothing changes.

Good luck and I wish everyone a Happy and prosperous NEW YEAR. 🙂

All I am saying is that if everyone puruses issues such as that... maybe someting might change.

I am a small fish in a big pond, so I will not be missed; but, if a large school of small fish leave... well...

I suspect a very large school of small fish have already left. My guess is that these little fish dont figure in ebays longer term plans so the management care factor is zero.

Message 24 of 72
Latest reply

@spudd57joe wrote:

The thing is, profit in the here and now isn't always the primary goal for a business like eBay. Sure, it's one of the top objectives, but sometimes it has to be conceded in favour of long term goals.

Again, in looking at their competition, you'll find that Amazon (who has a larger turnover) didn't ever return a profit until last financial year, mostly because they chose to reinvest in services, and operating efficiency (slightly OT now, but they have just won a patent for flying warehouses that deploy drones in order to deliver packages within minutes of being ordered.... Smiley Surprised I suspect if that actually gets off the ground [pun intended] it won't be for a few years yet, but certainly an interesting concept). 

My point, though (I do have one 😄 ) is that while some of eBay's decisions have left me utterly confused, I can also see that sometimes decisions are made with an end game in sight, so no violin strings from me here.... Not yet anyway; probably never as I don't have any real loyalty to eBay, more just a mutually beneficial arrangement. 

Also, when you look at eBay and where the fees you pay are going, yes it's things like staff salaries (and granted, some are disgustingly high just IMHO), general operating costs, but, since they don't hold or fulfil stock like Amazon does, and therefore can't implement much innovation in the way of order processing and fulfilment, or generate profit from their own stock (the closest they've come is whatever deal they managed to broker with Aus Post for the eBay postage labels, and a limited range of packaging products), so the bulk of it would be going to advertising, affiliate programs (affiliates can get up to 80% of the FVF on a sale they facilitated), and promotions (the ones where eBay cover a percentage discount, I mean, sometimes it's site-wide, other times it's for specific sellers only - i.e. big box retailers). The MBG would be costing them a little, too, as even though much of the time the funds are taken from the seller, eBay still do have to cough up on the odd occasion (as they rightly should, considering some of the decisions they make). More recently they sent out thousands of rolls of eBay-branded packaing tape as free samples to sellers. The tape istelf probably didn't cost them too much, but the courier and postage would have been a bit costly.  

Buyers are pretty much spoilt for choice when it comes to online shopping; it doesn't matter to them if any one particular site is flourishing, that really only matters to the sellers who list there (or who owns the site in cases where it's an independent webstore) - if eBay is struggling, it's because they don't know how to keep themselves at the forefront of those choices, which is what they need to be able to do, so for the time being I'm happy to contribute to their efforts to do so.... In saying that, at the moment they seem to be attempting to do it by luring big fish here and offering virtually constant deals for their stores, which I do see as at the expense of smaller sellers (of which I consider myself one).

All of which means if I squint hard enough, I can kinda get an idea of an end game I don't particularly agree with, or rather can't fathom it will provide the kind of result that's ideal, so personally, I think it's a great idea to have as many eggs in as many baskets as possible.

Learning how to weave baskets is also a good idea. Smiley LOL

Message 25 of 72
Latest reply

Why are eBay fees so high?

They aren't, compared with running a bricks and mortar shop or most other auction houses, who also charge buyers commissions as well as sellers.

Back in 2002 I was dodging along all right, selling a bit on sold.com and doing some shows and mail order.

Things weren't great, I didn't want a shop, had bought and sold a bit on eBay, but had not given it a lot of thought.

Then, eBay bought out sold.com and closed it down.

I thought, what do I do now, oh well, may as well give eBay a serious try.

14 years later, that is not a decision I regret.

eBay has been perfect for sellers such as myself.

Well, not quite perfect, their constant changes have driven me mad, this is the fourth year in a row I have had to edit all my 1200 listings because of eBay policy changes. Also, JD's reign of terror will not be forgotten easily.

However, for me, compared to other on-line selling sites, there is no comparison.

In Australia, eBay has the market, they have the buyers, they bought, or own many of their rivals (Gumtree for example)

As a test, a couple of years back, I listed 100 faster selling eBay items on quicksalescom.

Eight months later, I ended those 100 items, after having made NOT ONE SALE in 8 months.

You go with what suits you and what works as far as fees and sales. eBay is not as vibrant as it used to be, for sure, the years 2003-2010 were great and it has got harder the last few years..

However, I would rather pay 13-15% in fees, factor these into my prices and MAKE SOME SALES, than have the stuff sitting around forever on a low fee, low sale online competitor...

Message 26 of 72
Latest reply

@spudd57joe wrote:

Why are Final value fees so High?

because that's what ebay set them at. simple really.

Message 27 of 72
Latest reply

its not just the final value fees, ebay taking a% of postage price is just plain wrong. you used to be able to even things out with postage price....now ebay wants your postage and they want all sellers to offer free postage. and now because they take a % of your postage money, it makes no difference if you offer free postage. they still get the money. in a couple of years i would not be surprised if every item offers free postage

Message 28 of 72
Latest reply

Yes and when I questioned the postage %... the reply...doing me a favour helping with my sales promoting with free postage offer.

What a lot of rott.... It is just to increase their take.

Obviously, they must think we are stupid to believe that.

Funnily enough, my Gumtree sales this month have out performed Ebay... because I offer a choice of pick up; reasonable postage option and excellent customer care.... and Pay Pal option to pay.

I have posted a few things on Etsy... and they have done well, as well,; and have a had a better profit take than the same items on Ebay.

Everyone thinks that Ebay is the one and only option ... NO... just the most established for now.

Message 29 of 72
Latest reply

@happylouie08 wrote:

its not just the final value fees, ebay taking a% of postage price is just plain wrong. you used to be able to even things out with postage price....now ebay wants your postage and they want all sellers to offer free postage. and now because they take a % of your postage money, it makes no difference if you offer free postage. they still get the money. in a couple of years i would not be surprised if every item offers free postage

This is exactly the reason ebay introduced the fvf on postage. A few people used to try to avoid paying for the ebay services they where using by jacking up postage costs and reducing the item price. The result of this abuse is that now everyone suffers through the introduction of the fvf on postage.    .........Thanks guys !!!!!!

Theres been sooooo many threads recently by people who just expect to use the services ebay provides for free. Its not a charity, its a business. You want to use the platform and gain access to the biggest client base in the world, you need to pay a fee for the service. No one is forced to use ebay. If you dont like the fees the answer is simple. Go somewhere else with less buyers and a lot more time wasters.

Message 30 of 72
Latest reply