Why are Final value fees so High

Why are Final value fees so High?

Once E Bay final fees apply and the paypal fee as well we are looking at around 13%... then the shipping cost have to be met.

I know a fee should apply but this makes selling low priced items not really worth the effort.

Yes I understand Profit Viability of a product.... But with the turn over E Bay makes... I believe the 9.9% on both item and shipping as well, is a bit rich... especially for those of us non business sellers.

"Crickey Mate" suggests finding another Platform and I have found more than one... I can still use Paypal and it will give me all the protections I require; and my overhead becomes much less. Very soon I will stop selling on Ebay that is of course unless things change.

If anyone agrees with my point of view I suggest they vote for change with their feet as I will be doing.

Good Luck everyone

Message 1 of 72
Latest reply
71 REPLIES 71

No, I am happy to pay for the Ebay/ Paypal sevices and protections.

But Ebay have nothing to do with my oncosts and efforts for shipping and handling... it is money for doing nothing for them.

That's Ok ... they have mtoivated me to think outside the box... and surprisingly, I have done some research and depending on the the type of item selling... I have had more sales this month elsewhere.

Message 31 of 72
Latest reply

I,m not keen on paying FVF on postage either. Like most others I dont believe ebay should be charging a fee on services they dont provide.

The flip side is that if ebay didnt charge the fvf on postage, they would have to make it up somewhere else. Store fees would have to rise dramaticaly or the fvf on items sold would need to be 15% instead of around 9%. 

Ebay are barely making any profit at all and are currently struggling to survive and remain relevent. . Sure poor management decisions by the senior bosses have something to do with this, but thats not ebays only problem. Competition from other internet platforms and the proliferation of stores hosting their own websites has knocked ebays market dominance for six. The fees we pay are not supporting obscene profits by the company. They are being eaten up by the massive costs of running the whole show.

Message 32 of 72
Latest reply

moto288
Community Member

I'm happy to pay eBay's 9.9% fee + Paypals 2.6% fee and have been paying that for years. I have a small private account - things I sell are just personal items that I no longer want and ebay have been a very good platform to get rid of those excess stuff in the house and get some money back. But very recently I've realised how evil this company have become and very quickly, I'm now at a point where I'm seriously considering to boycott selling anything on this platform in the future. I am paying them 10% of things I sell and they treat me like dirt.

Firstly, in December I got scammed by a buyer in the US of a $1400 item. It's then that I learned that eBay couldn't care any less about small sellers like me and they sided with the scammer to defraud me of $1400. Wasted a huge number of hours of my time to call their CS only to be passed back and forth between god knows where random help desks around the world. In the end I didn't have the receipt to the item as it was bought many years back so I had no chance of appealing to eBay's closed-door trial. I didn't even get to see the "evidence" the buyer/scammer submitted to ebay. All they said was we ruled in the buyers favour and you now owe us $1400. Anyway, this is now settled. I couldn't deal with them any longer so I just took the loss and paid them $1400.

Then recently there is a promotion to sellers that they are given 10 free listings (even no final value fees), and I thought that's great, at least eBay is giving sellers some support here, so I accepted the promotion and listed a few expensive household items to sell, given if I sell those during this promotion it will save me quite a lot in final value fees. Some of the items are like used watches, used Eames chair (wanting to buy a new one), our old sofa, a few pairs of sneakers that I no longer want. I managed to sell a number of them, which is fantastic, as if I sold these outside of promotion that would've costed me probably $1000 fees in total. I got scammed $1400 so if I save $1000 FVF from this promotion, then that's some kind of consolation.

This morning I woke up to an email to say my account have been restricted. WHAT?! I've emailed them and no reply. I've called them this morning and eBay AU can't tell me what the reason was and I have to speak to eBay US (which is closed!). It's unbelievable how rotten the company operations are. It's creating trouble after trouble for me, hours after hours of stress and wasting my precious time just to deal with such a bunch of incompetents. I can't see ANY reason for them to restrict my account. I didn't ask any buyer to deal with me privately. The payments went through Paypal and not cash in hand. Items that were delivered, were delivered. I didn't get any buyer complaints. 

Surely they can't restrict my account purely because I've taken up their offer to sell items for free? If they are suspcious because I've managed to sell some high value items, that's because they gave me the promotion to encourage me to list them?! I find this whole company bizzare!

Message 33 of 72
Latest reply

I hate to say it but I think that by not fighting the fake cutlery claim a bit harder you have given ebay the opportunity to say that all your brand name items are likely to be fake.

Do you have any receipts for the chair and watch...just 2 of your listings that caught my eye.

Message 34 of 72
Latest reply

Hi Lyndal, I know, but I couldn't have anything to show eBay to fight it any harder. Hermes wouldn't even respond to my enquiries, and I still haven't heard from ACCC. Big corporations just have all the advantage over us individuals. 😞

With the chair I don't have the receipt but I have the original documentation that came with the chair so that would be unquestionable. Watches are vintage (from the 60s) and the other is a 100+ year old pocket watch and they're not brand name items. I'm not sure what they're concerned with, which is why I was trying to find out. It seems they want me to prove the items are delivered, as it says in the email:

--------------

To appeal this restriction, please review the following guidelines:
-- Provide proof of delivery for all of the items sold on your eBay account. This may be in the form of feedback left from buyers. If you prefer, you can submit tracking numbers for each of the items posted. This will help show buyers more of your selling history and will also allow us to confirm that your items have been posted.

--------------

So I'm suspecting eBay might be suspicious because I'm suddenly selling like $10k worth of items and they're afraid I'll suddenly run away with the money or something? But if I'm selling them legitimately then what right have they to restrict my account? They invited me to list by giving me free no-FVF listings. I have tracking for 2 of the smaller items that's posted and one is delivered, and for the larger furniture, the buyers are due to pick them up on Australia day and I'll ask them to give me a feedback then, so that should sort it eBay out. What I'm annoyed with is why are they doing this and not use the resources to monitor scammers accounts? They are just constantly giving me trouble, at no fault of mine's. Yet scammers get away with it.

Sorry to the OP for hijacking this thread a bit here.

Message 35 of 72
Latest reply

I did...I've sold heaps ... of; collectables and arty farty stuff on Esty. and for this month 32% more sales on Esty than Ebay... Gumtree for me has done better than Ebay this month as well. I use Pay Pal, or pick up option.

I've been researching other platforms ... and slowly BUT surely, and as the small fish are being driven from E bay; the other platforms are becoming more populated, and more visible.

I guess E bay must be starting to be concerned because I've been given the same offer of no fees for the next 10 listings.

By increasing fees and puting fees on postage  THE BEST MARKETING EBAY HAS DONE FOR THESE Other sites...

I've been depleting my listings on Ebay and now with this free ALL VALUE FEE; I will end my listings and relisteed them again... If they try to punish me for trying this... no worries I'll drop E Bay completely. And, used them to purchase items to sell elsewhwhere, or just when itis suitable

I'm a small seller, so I'm not dependent on Ebay.

Keep it up E bay you are going to be assisting these smaller and newer platforms competitors to grow and inturn becom more visible.

It is plain to see if E bay is loosing profit share; it is because of their own MANAGEMENT practises...

** And, by the way, I have had plenty of time wasters and crooks on E bay as well

Message 36 of 72
Latest reply

Congratulations,.......... No really......... congratulations. ......It looks like you know your market and customers and are having very good results. Your sell through rate on ebay is excellent, so you are obviously doing something right. With all of the gloom and doom, its nice to see that sellers can still make a go of it here. ( and other places ..Smiley Wink   )

Message 37 of 72
Latest reply

@spudd57joe wrote:

By increasing fees and puting fees on postage  THE BEST MARKETING EBAY HAS DONE FOR THESE Other sites...

\

See my post above about "end game"....

eBay have been toying with the idea of buying Etsy for years.

I really hope they don't, though. 

Message 38 of 72
Latest reply

My fees just hit 15.6% almost 16% 

If the item is worth $100 and you get $100 them pay shipping - $13 , then fees - $13 you are left with $84.

So you must be willing to take 84 - 80%  or the value.. 

Gone are the days when you can sell and get a fair price for secound hand goods, now its all new stuff from china or you are giving it away for 80% or the secound hand value . Thats ok if you are willing to take anything. Some people start at $1 in the hope of getting fair price and end up with 20% of what its worth, then you take the 26% fees and post , and its not worth the hassle , put it in the bin or have a garage sale, no bad reviews , no fees... 

Ebay has changed and its way to hard to make a profit unless you get it for free.

Message 39 of 72
Latest reply

Lets not forget how slow ebay is, its 50% unusadle st the moment . less traffic , less buyers, higher fees, more room for complaints for buyers, and whats left of your money can be put on hold for months over the smallest problems 

Message 40 of 72
Latest reply