a massive decline in sales on Ebay

Is anyone else experiencing a decline in sales?  I cannot believe how bad it has got, my sales have been reduced by more than half for same time last year, having problems keeping up with relisting fees, only ones making any money is Ebay

Message 1 of 89
Latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

Re: a massive decline in sales on Ebay

See attached. Smiley Happy

Message 61 of 89
Latest reply

@4476.iveco wrote:

Back on topic, I read somewhere on the forum to tweek selling catagories.  I tried that & changed from unisex clothing (where I have been successful for many years) to mens clothing, although women buy the most.  The result is about a 25% increase in sales over the last 6 weeks, so why, I don't know.  Not that amounts to anything great, but its better than it was.  Our own website is taking a hiding too with over 4500 visits in less than 3 days, but only a few sales.

I suspect ebay have made some major changes to the search system which is resulting in many listings not showing in searches like they used too.

I wanted a battery for my old obsolete mobile phone. I did a search with the make, model number and the word batteries. Only two " featured listings" showed, Both by the same seller and same price by the way. After a number of convoluted searches, I finally managed to get 27 batteries listings to show. To the casual ebay user who does not read the forums and understand the listing visibility issues there was only two listings for the item I wanted.

There has been an ongoing thread on the powersellers forum for awhile, highlighting similar problems. I,ve just had an unfair case closed against me, sales are down and I,m feeling pretty disgusted with whole site at the moment. My wife has had enough of me venting my frustrations and has told me its time to do something different. She could be right.

Message 62 of 89
Latest reply

Most all aussie sellers are getting their feedback smashed in recent times and it really isn't fair for a lot of them .. I personally have done more refunds in the last 3 months than the last 16 years and my sales have been in the toilet so am not selling much .. from what I am experiencing as sales decrease buyer demands/expectations are increasing .. I can't be entirely sure but it would appear that it is external forces out of our control at work ..

.. as for the cassinni thing we are all getting weirdness from that .. many say it is just a matter of using better keywords but one has to question why stuff doesn't sell that is in perfect and complete order with obvious correct keywords and the cheapest in the world and yet others are selling the same for more yet it is listed as damaged/incomplete .. obviously cassinni is the culprit and in my opinion many buyers are all at sea trying to find what they came here to buy .. apparently that is the buyer experience that ebay management was aiming for all these years ..

In my experience often these corporate monopoly practices businesses find ways to thrive whilst abusing their core product, it all comes down to clever accountancy and destroying the competition by a variety of exploitive means and then they really no longer need to perform at any sort of responsible level etc .. maybe have a few weeks off and try and disengage a little .. I would not want to rely on this place for stable income especially with what is going on in the economy, things are getting quite worrying .. I can see a very bleak future on the horizon .. good luck with it Chameleon ..

Message 63 of 89
Latest reply

@x3n0m wrote:

Most all aussie sellers are getting their feedback smashed in recent times and it really isn't fair for a lot of them .. I personally have done more refunds in the last 3 months than the last 16 years and my sales have been in the toilet so am not selling much .. from what I am experiencing as sales decrease buyer demands/expectations are increasing .. I can't be entirely sure but it would appear that it is external forces out of our control at work ..

.. as for the cassinni thing we are all getting weirdness from that .. many say it is just a matter of using better keywords but one has to question why stuff doesn't sell that is in perfect and complete order with obvious correct keywords and the cheapest in the world and yet others are selling the same for more yet it is listed as damaged/incomplete .. obviously cassinni is the culprit and in my opinion many buyers are all at sea trying to find what they came here to buy .. apparently that is the buyer experience that ebay management was aiming for all these years ..

In my experience often these corporate monopoly practices businesses find ways to thrive whilst abusing their core product, it all comes down to clever accountancy and destroying the competition by a variety of exploitive means and then they really no longer need to perform at any sort of responsible level etc .. maybe have a few weeks off and try and disengage a little .. I would not want to rely on this place for stable income especially with what is going on in the economy, things are getting quite worrying .. I can see a very bleak future on the horizon .. good luck with it Chameleon ..

I would love to take a few weeks off, but we are still making a signifigant income from ebay. I simply cant afford to stop at the moment as ebay is making the difference between being able to pay my bills and not pay them. We are not purchasing any stock as we have a shipping container full to the top that we are trying to run down, so everything we sell is profit and we need to get rid of it all before we can scale ebay back .  

If we do put the stores in holiday mode we will lose our search rankings when we start back up. I am hoping in 12 months time to be in the position where our sheep grazing business will provide enough income that we may be able to at least take a break from ebay after 6-7 years of having it running 24 hours a day 365 days a year. ( yes we even sell stuff on christmas day...   ) We havnt had a holiday in that time, so a break would be nice. I just need to hang on to my sanity until then. .......Smiley Frustrated

Message 64 of 89
Latest reply

You should just put your store on Holiday mode for say, a week, with the items still visible for sale and advise there will be a delay in shipping. I have done this on many occasions and sometimes sales have been better when I'm away. The only draw back is loads of packing when you get back.

Message 65 of 89
Latest reply

yeah business is booming.. NOT! 4 sales in April..its getting worse..

Message 66 of 89
Latest reply

Hi, I was wondering the same although it is now 2018!?. It is getting even worse now, it looks like ebay has stopped generating sales alltogether??? What do you think?

Thanks W. in Melbourne

Message 67 of 89
Latest reply

I think mine are proceeding averagely.

I also think complaining on one of the numerous current threads would be better than dragging up this old chestnut.

Message 68 of 89
Latest reply

YES I have the same problems and I do not know how or why
Message 69 of 89
Latest reply

Gee how may times dose this topic come up .May besome of you  need to wake up there are new kids on the block .eg Facebook BSS

.There is so much stuff n there at just give away  prices  if you prepared to get of your **bleep** and buy in person  (bit like old trading post days )   Ebay advertising on TV ....well that sums it up in my opion

Message 70 of 89
Latest reply