another Aust Post Thread!

About two weeks ago I read on these boards somehwere that someone had read/heard that Aust Post were planning to not deliver mail in to new suburbs that pop up.  At that time I went to the Aust Post website and asked this question and just got a reply today.  Another person asked the same question around the same time.

I would have posted this on the thread that I had read back then . . . . but I can not locate that thread post.

Here is the webpage URL https://conversation.auspost.com.au/national?tool=qanda

Here are screen grabs showing my question and the other person's question as well as the Aust Post replies.

AP q 1.JPG

AP q 2.JPG

Spoiler
Now, off to that Aust Post website to ask about lodgement and ownership!   Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

la 

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

I don't think it is a case of the postman being lazy.   I have often seen our postman with a very full bag and we are near the end of his run.

I asked about this one day and he told me that when he sorts his run he can have as many as 3 full bags....he sets out with one bag and the rest is delivered to drop off points for him to go back and collect.

Now that they are expected to deliver small parcels as well it is even worse....they just don't have time to deliver everything.

I really can't see how putting it off is going to help in the longrun but AP seems to think it will.   We shall see.

BTW I hardly think it is something that you would expect the Prime Minister to sort out.  This is hardly his job.

Message 11 of 24
Latest reply

Hahaha .......... it's started already !!!!

Perhaps Malcolm will also be able to do something about the very hot summer that is predicted ............ LOL

Message 12 of 24
Latest reply

maybe its a way of earning more money ,lets say 10% go priority  that for a start will increase $$$$ to there total, now if the normal mail becomes a lot slower. that % will prob grow.  for instance if you sell mainly letters on ebay and they are getting delivered slow now ,can you imagine when the changes happen ,you might have to send your letters priority,so that it would be back to the same as know. [we could see priority go to who knows 50%   . that for a start is a huge amount of money . with the deliveries the same and slower than now. [ if thats the case then thats a very smart move from aus post] + the big % increase on stamps.any business increasing there product by 30% whithout any extra costs woud be laughing.

Message 13 of 24
Latest reply

When I think of Australia Post increasing prices and reducing services, it reminds me immediately of public transport in this country. Is fictional bus route 666 not making enough money? Cancel every second service of the already once-an-hour bus and finish it at 5 instead of 7, stop running it on Saturdays and Sundays and increase the ticket price threefold in order to maximise profit. Little did they know, bus route 666 was running in the red since no-one could be bothered waiting an hour if they missed it - they actually liked the service when they could use it without waiting forever, or being able to walk to their destination before the bus even got to their stop!

Maybe, like many bus companies, Australia Post simply does not get it, that increasing the prices while reducing the service levels will only have the opposite effect! Given half the chance, a rival mail delivery company would pretty much show AusPost the door on the first week if their services were up to standard. Of course, being that they're in bed with the government (insert hammer-and-sickle flag here), there is no "chance" and they remain a monopoly.
Message 14 of 24
Latest reply

This article claims AP are projecting the change will result in going from a $269m loss last financial year, to an $84m profit in 2017 financial year (this is, according to them, due to 80% business etc sending bulk mail at standard, not priority, while they maintain stamp services, eg the kind of mail an average household would send with normal postage stamps, will continue to cause a loss).

http://www.proprint.com.au/News/389779,accc-auspost-hikes-8216not-a-done-deal8217.aspx

Message 15 of 24
Latest reply

Why do you think messenger and courier companies came into being?   It was initially to provide faster services than AP could provide.

Lawyers have their own delivery system....documents are delivered by hand to a central clearing house and picked up by the other party.

Bike messengers are active in the Sydney CBD all the time delivering documents.  If it is too big for a bike messenger it goes by courier.

Unfortunately Australia Post has now stuck their oar in there too and are giving couriers a bad name.

Message 16 of 24
Latest reply

Interesting  how Australian Post  is owned by the people of AU and set up origially for posting mail , Now its a money maker , they have no right , the AP  CEO  earns more than the primeminister ?  this has been on Adelaide talkback over the last weeks 5AA AM

Message 17 of 24
Latest reply

@sky5805 wrote:

Interesting  how Australian Post  is owned by the people of AU and set up origially for posting mail , Now its a money maker , they have no right , the AP  CEO  earns more than the primeminister ?  this has been on Adelaide talkback over the last weeks 5AA AM

there are plenty of jobs that pay much more than the PMs job.  Any of the CEOs of the big banks, the head of the AFL, TV personalities for example.

These figures are dated, but they show the extremes

australian PM salary.JPG

(source: Wikipedia)

afl CEO salary.JPG

(source: The AGE)

westpac CEO salary source.JPG

and this one is 6 years old.  Since then, he has won the gold logie, so he'd be on a lot more $ now

karl salary.JPG

Message 18 of 24
Latest reply

As the auspost CEO telegraphs the upcoming price signal virtually every corporation, government department and major business is desperately retooling so as to completely avoid auspost's upcoming letter rate .. the interesting thing about that is these same entities were and are treated to much much cheaper rates than the general public who will now be endlessly shafted so as to make up the shortfall due to the apparent clumsy and desperate fly by night accounting by the auspost CEO .. what we are seeing is the deliberate destruction of a valuable utility for Australian society ..the reason auspost had a bad year last financial year is because they comepletely bought out Quantas's 50% share in Startrack Express .. the public is being swindled by a hypnotic salesman who is not interested in preserving this public utility intact but more interested in breaking it up or better still selling it holtus boltus to his mates within the American chamber of Commerce .. anyne who thinks that privatisation or corporatisation of the Australian public's assetts and utilities is done for the greater good is brainwashed and deluded .. you arer being swindled .. now drink your kool aid little darlings ..

Message 19 of 24
Latest reply

Always wary of "loss" amounts .......... often it's a 'loss' on their ridiculous profit projection and it's difficult to find out what the 'real' $ actually are.  But I bet they aren't really losing.

Message 20 of 24
Latest reply