buyer claims item is used & not working when it's new

So here's my dilemma. Sold a sewing machine embroidery unit (never used) & hoops still in their original plastic which have never been out of the plastic (ie: new & unused) but buyer is now telling me the unit has wear, doesn't work & the hoops also have wear & have been used & wants a refund. I'm really suspicious as she has told me she bought my items to replace her faulty ones & i'm concerned she's trying to return her faulty products in place of what i sent her to effectively get what she needs for free. Makes me sick to the stomach that ebay will likely side with the buyer & i'll be out postage both ways (over $60 in post) + have used faulty items returned to me rather than the new ones i sent her. Has anyone else had this happen?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

This is where you have to infer (but strongly) to the buyer, and without being accusatory, that there will repurcussions if they do the wrong thing and return something other than what was sent.

Are there any unique, identifying features for the item(s)? If so, you can use that to your advantage. Request photos so that you can compare the items they claim are damaged with your own records (bluff this if you need to, like if there's a serial number and you didn't record it, imply you have a record of it anyway, JMHO - if they are genuine, they won't think twice about providing any evidence, including indetifying features on the item you sent), point out discrepancies if you spot something in an image that you know isn't one of the components of your item, and so on. If they baulk at having to provide images, tell them that it's necessary for you to see the flaws etc so that you can decide on the best, easiset course of action to resolve the problem. 

When I have gotten bad vibes about a transaction and / or a return request, I have also in the past told buyers that, for everyone's protection, returned items are opened and inspected in the presence of a legal witness so that there won't be any disputes about what was sent and what was received back. 

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Oh please do what Digi says, and ask for photos.

You have taken excellent photos for that listing, including the serial number.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Playing devil's advocate here...

Is there anything inside the unit that could have dried out over time or seized up, or that the dust could have damaged?  Some things are ultra sensitive to dust.  You've said your own machine has died so it looks like you weren't able to test that everything worked before you posted it.

The bags look open (the hoops) and are a bit old and dusty/discoloured so it'd be impossible to prove they've never been out of their bags.

You've got a photo of the serial number in the listing so if it gets returned, open the parcel it in front a witness in case she sends a different one back.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Initially the buyer only mentioned the carriage not working & requested a refund. She hadn't even mentioned the hoops at this stage. It wasn't until a later message that she said it & the hoops also had wear marks. The unit was stored flat inside a cupboard & only had minimal dust but was mentioned for accuracy of listing, other than that there wasn't even one mark on the unit which the buyer is now saying it has wear marks. I've spoken to a friend who's a sewing machine mechanic & was told the carriage wouldn't just not work or deteriorate just from being in storage & used the example of the Japan manufacturer holding similar parts for many many years as replacements.  

The moment the buyer said they also had wear marks i went on high alert as she'd already told me hers had packed up & her machine was also missing other parts which she had previously asked if i also still had (ie missing knobs & another carriage used for normal sewing). I've seen on these forums the kinds of things people do to get stuff for free & well, i have a feeling i'm about to experience it myself. ๐Ÿ˜ž 

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

I'm afraid that you have been duped by a window shop lifter,they purchase to use it for parts,parties etc and then want to return it.

I had the same problem years ago but was able to fix the theft problem by using an invisible ink marker on my items and if an item was returned and it didn't have the mark on it then it wasn't mine.

Good luck but I have a feeling you will end up getting the buyers broken parts back Woman Frustrated

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Was this a pick up only item?  Did the buyer pay cash on pick up?  If pick up, may help your case.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Nope... Over $30 post

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Maybe her machine is a different model and it didn't fit but she doesn't want to admit it. Your photos are pretty clear so hopefully she doesn't try and put wear marks on them to 'prove' they were worn. If you do end up getting them back (yours, I mean), list them on facebook next time. There are some great sewing groups on there for selling.
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

I have other photos of the items which didn't go onto ebay so if she tries marking them to show wear it'd be pretty easy to prove to ebay + serial numbers etc... Ebay is dying fast & now i can see why altho when i contacted ebay about what the buyer had told me etc... they were actually quite helpful & told me they do have avenues to protect the seller if anything further happens ie: if she opens a case or i'm sent back the wrong items etc. Strangely enough, once i explained to the buyer i had contacted ebay & insisted the items were new & unmarked (as pictured) i haven't heard from her since. She was pretty quick to respond before that.... hmmmm. After my current listings end i'm planning on listing on FB from now on. Ebay has just too much fraud for my liking. 

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply