calculated postage no longer working, anyone else have this issue

I notice my calculated postage within ebay is no longer working, it just says cannot calculate please input a valid postcode, I try many but same thing, I havent modified any item details for some time. Ebay claim it has to do with restrictions on dimensions despite the fact it worked before and nothing has changed however adjustmnents of dimensions and weight yield no success. she then told me the resolution was to offer free postage, thats when it clicked, are they trying to force us to offer free postage by sabotaging the calculated postage option?

is anyone else having issues with this? due to size and weight free postage is not a good option as some areas could cost over $100 to send to.

Message 1 of 60
Latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Re: calculated postage no longer working, anyone else have this issue

Really bizarre. BTW I am viewing via a PC, not phone or tablet.

Message 31 of 60
Latest reply

What browser are you using - IE, Firefox, Chrome?

Message 32 of 60
Latest reply

If I enter a postcode other than my own for the lantern in Firefox I get this:

postage-firefox.gif

In Chrome, I get this:

postage-chrome.gif

So the browser I use doesn't make any difference.

Message 33 of 60
Latest reply

I think you will find that the postcode examples you have given above are in fact really not valid postcodes - as in they don't actually exist in the Australian postcode system. Could this explain some of the other instances of the system behaviour you have observed?

Message 34 of 60
Latest reply

OK, so I've now checked multiple accounts that are used for selling by various family members, etc., and the following observations hold 100% true for calculated postage listings across all of them when checked against confirmed valid postcode values:

1. ALL listings where the postage service offered is “Australia Post Parcel Post Parcel + Signature” are NOT calculating the postage amount on the listing and are displaying the "Postage cost can't be calculated. Please enter a valid postcode" error message in the 'Postage & Payments' tab.

2. ALL listings where the postage service offered is “Australia Post Parcel Post Parcel” are correctly calculating and displaying the postage amount.

3. ALL listings that are set-up to offer the buyer a choice of both “Australia Post Parcel Post Parcel”  and “Australia Post Parcel Post Parcel + Signature” will display & calculate postage correctly for the “Australia Post Parcel Post Parcel” service but will not display the “Australia Post Parcel Post Parcel + Signature” service as being available at all under the 'Postage & Payments' tab.

Calculated postage listings on these accounts only use the two postage service options named above so I can't confirm whether this issue applies to any of the other possible postage options available on the system.

The workaround I've detailed above resolves the issue for impacted listings on all the accounts I've been able to test this on. The workaround, once again, is to edit your listings to change the postage service to the “Australia Post Parcel Post Parcel” service and then adding the extra approx. $3 in the 'Handling Cost' field to cover the additional amount required for Signature on Delivery service. Once this is done, go back into the listing and you should see that postage amount is now calculating correctly for your item.

If anyone has any examples of listings that don't conform to the above observations let me know as I would be interested to explore further.

Message 35 of 60
Latest reply

That was bad luck on my part wasn't it? i.e. happening to choose non-existent postcodes.

Message 36 of 60
Latest reply

I think it's something any of us could have done. I sometimes throw in a dummy postcode on my listings just to check what postage will be to a particular zone and have never really stopped to think/check that it is a valid postcode value before.

I guess the real question is whether this might explain the other instances where you've noticed a problem with your listings that don't conform to the problem with the "+ Signature" service we've identified so far?

Message 37 of 60
Latest reply

My postage calculator is still not sorted after my message to Technical support 10 days ago.I've sent off another message this morning asking for a reply about the postage calculator not working  and for a  reduction in my monthly fees as account is not operating correctly (Account is faulty, surely I'm due some reduction ??), not holding my breath for a reply on either count !!

Message 38 of 60
Latest reply

I'm still not getting postage calculations to work with my listings that have Parcel post and signature on delivery.My pick up listings and a handful of  free post listings,that I offer  are fine.I have to use SOD on my collectables as plenty of buyers will say ,'Í never received it, the neighbours dog ran off with the box etc etc' and Pay-pal/fee  bay will refund their money faster than a space rocket on re-entry.My theory is e bay have a plan, and that plan is ''Offer free postage'  all  you sellers, its part of what our e bay buyers want in their 'Buying experience'.I've had one sale this week.The technical glitches this train wreck has at present will soon force me to call it a day after 10 years buying & selling on e bay.

Message 39 of 60
Latest reply

Hi Kane

Try the workaround I have detailed in my listing above - should help resolve the issue for you while we all wait (& wait, & wait . . . ) for eBay to implement a technical fix to the problem.

I would not hold my breath for any kind of super-quick fix to the issue by eBay - technical bug fixes like this usually have a fairly significant turn-around time by technical teams as they are usually considered to be a fairly low-priority issue. Also I would rate your chances of getting financial recompense from eBay as 'Zip'!! . . . . but doesn't hurt to register the grievence with them in any case I s'pose.

Message 40 of 60
Latest reply