catering for customers who ordered the wrong item and want to swap for the correct item.

keithex
Community Member

Ebay has a lack of facilities to cater for customers who ordered the wrong item and want to swap for the correct item. Every time a customer has asked me if they can swap they say ebay menus only give options to return for refund, or to make a complaint about the seller, but they're not wanting to complain. They realize its their own fault and just want to swap.

Ebay needs to add an extra line to the Reason for Return menu that says "I ordered the wrong one and want to swap it for the right one" or something with that meaning.

When a customer asks for a swap the money in PayPal is frozen also, and the only option given is "refund now", theres no option that says, the customer just wants to swap. "Theres no refund necessary"

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

catering for customers who ordered the wrong item and want to swap for the correct item.

Actually this kind of return doesn't require eBay's involvement.

Normal procedure is as follows.

If you offer exchange/buyer error returns, the buyer simply returns the item to you and provided it is returned in the same condition you then supply the exchange item when buyer has paid postage.

Exchange complete.

Most transactions even if problems occur can be done without eBay's involvement. 

image host
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Dont involve ebay in exchange items.  Advise the buyer that they will be responsible for return postage with tracking, and once item has been returned  they will receive an invoice for the cost of New Delivery, or if they like they can provide a prepaid satchell etc.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

The problem is the great big blue RETURN ITEM logo that that ebay places alongside every purchase. As soon as a buyer clicks on that, the rot starts to set in.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

@gutterpunkz05wrote:

Dont involve ebay in exchange items.  Advise the buyer that they will be responsible for return postage with tracking, and once item has been returned  they will receive an invoice for the cost of New Delivery, or if they like they can provide a prepaid satchell etc.

You may be right.

But look at it from a buyer's point of view.

All that is 'off ebay' and some buyers may worry. They will think-there's nothing in the ebay system where all this is officially recorded, what happens if something goes wrong, all i have are the messages & the tracking record but what a hassle I might have to go through if I don't get my refund or my new item.

Now compare that to what chameleon mentioned. There is a blue button next to every sale that says 'return item'. Why wouldn't any buyer think that is the official, correct way to go about things?

So I think keithex's idea is a good one.

Expecting to have customers  privately arrange refunds & exchanges isn't all that realistic, there needs to be official ways to do it, as long as sellers are not  penalised for simple exchanges.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply