demanded to provide double return label ??

tete_278
Community Member

Hi all

Long ranting. sorry.

I have been on ebay for years, have to say I'm experienced with many types of scammers.

3 days ago I received 2 return requests from a UK buyer, says the dresses were not as described; immediately I smelled something fishy.

The buyer was acting very angry, very upset, posted loooong messages to explain how garbage my items were, size wrong, material bad, stitches bad, pretty much everthing you can think of to complain about a garment, but at the same time she couldn't provide any evidence whatsoever.

Well, if the dresses were really garbage, how come the dozen sets I sold before never had any issue?

Anyway, she posted messages after messages, about 10 messages in total, if you add them up, it'd be about a thousand words already, no exaggeration; just basically stating the same BS: garbage item, give me refund, not paying return postage.

I know exactly what she was thinking, there's no way seller could provide international shipping label, so seller must refund, easy prey, right?

I also know ebay will always side with buyer in such case, so, I actually purchased a shipping label from Royal Mail website, costed me $24 roughly, and uploaded it.

This must had been a shock to the buyer, she's been silent ever since; not surprising because she never wanted to return the dresses in the first place, I knew it.

Now, new problem, if you've purchased shipping label from Royal Mail before, you'd know that their label is only valid for 2 days, yes, just 2 days.

There is no way anyone can adjust that, not even you pay extra, just 2 days, that's it, their policy.

The date is clearly stated on label, so you can't miss it.

Now the label is already expired, buyer is still silent, never returned anything.

I however emailed ebay UK, asking them when they can close the requests, you know, label expired already.

I was outraged by their reply, they told me that I must buy another label, because the one I provided was only valid for 2 days.

What BS is that?

Buyer knew it only lasts 2 days, the date was clearly printed on label !

Even if I really purchase another label, then what? It is still going to last for just 2 days, then what? Buy one more? and more?

It is Royal Mail's policy, not mine !

Is there an ebay policy somewhere that demands seller to provide return label more than once??

Please, enlighten me. 

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: demanded to provide double return label ??

@tete_278 wrote:

I had few messages back and forth with UK customer service, they still told me I must provide another label if buyer escalates the issue.

I would contest that the buyer has no basis for escalating because you provided what you were obliged to - essentially this is resolving the issue with the buyer. Ok, sure there's a technicality of the label no longer being valid, but the actual act of escalating the request to a claim, is to indicate "the seller didn't resolve the issue", when in fact, you did, making the escalation a misuse of the MBG. 

This wouldn't stop the escalation, but it's the kind of argument I would try if eBay tried to insist I needed to purchase another label - unless I could think of something better, anyway, as I reckon that'd have about a 50/50 shot, polssibly slightly more in favour of failing. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Strange that UK would want you to purchase another label.

Hardly seems the right thing.

Do they run things differently over there?

Au policy -

Sometimes you'll need to provide your own label or make alternative arrangements for the return, including:

• Sending items internationally: eBay return labels are only available for items returned within Australia. If you or the buyer are overseas, you'll need to provide your own international label or make alternative arrangements.

Ask the buyer to use a label you sent with the item

If you included a return postage label with the item when you sent it to the buyer, you can let them know that they should use that to send it back to you.

Here's how you can let the buyer know about the label from the View return details section:

1. Go to your Returns dashboard - opens in new window or tab and select View return details
  2. Select Confirm you already sent a label.
  3. Select your carrier and enter the tracking number.
  4. Add a message to the buyer.
  5. Tick the box beside I provided a return label with the original item.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/return-postage-sellers?id=4703

And how is all this getting resolved within 3 days to avoid the defect?

Other than that, Ive never done an international return, so maybe someone else has more knowledge.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

@tete_278 wrote:

Is there an ebay policy somewhere that demands seller to provide return label more than once??

Please, enlighten me. 

No, but the return will be governed be eBay.co.uk's policies, rather than the AU ones, so it will be more beneficial to read their policies.

The following is from the information geared towards buyers:

"When the seller accepts your return, you'll receive an email to your Messages with the subject “Send the item back”. You'll need to send it back within 14 days, using tracked postage. Adding tracking details to your return helps protect against delays or issues in the refund process."

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/returns-refunds/return-item-refund?id=4041

This is from the information geared towards sellers about facilitating returns / paying for return postage, and just lists the method for uploading the label when you purchased one yourself, just in case it will be of benefit to go through this process on eBay.co.uk:

Provide your own label
If you'd rather the buyer use your preferred postal carrier to send the item back to you, you can provide your own return label. If you want to use your own carrier, simply purchase return postage from your carrier and send an image of the label to the buyer. Here's how to send your own label from the View return details section:

Select the camera icon.
Choose the label you want to send to your buyer.
Select your carrier and enter the tracking number.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/return-shipping-sellers?id=4703

My personal interpretation /  takeway from these two info pages I've linked to is that eBay provide the buyer 14 days to return an item, but they do not explicitly require a seller to provide a means of return postage that accomodates that 14 day return window, ergo if you have provided a label that is only valid for 2 days, you have fulfilled your obligations in that regard, and it is not your fault the buyer didn't make use of it - the buyer still has their 14 days, but I can't see how eBay can compel you to pay for postage again under the above policies (can you cancel and refund postage labels purchased via Royal Mail?). 

In any case, if the buyer does nothing for 14 days, they void their eligibility under the MBG, and if your suspicions are correct (personally, I would be inclined to think they are, just going by the info in your OP), they seem likely to do nothing - but, I would be attemtping to get both oral and written conformation from eBay UK that you have done what you were supposed to and now the ball is in the buyer's court, since they might still try to escalate without returning and that can go badly, despite the seller doing everything right.  

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks for the info.

I had few messages back and forth with UK customer service, they still told me I must provide another label if buyer escalates the issue.

F**K.

Apparently only international label from UK has just 2 day valid period, domestic ones last much longer, UK CS didn't seem to know that until now.

Still, I believe the buyer was trying to get something for nothing.

So let's see, if she does contact ebay about this, I will read their own policy to them I guess.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

@tete_278 wrote:

I would contest that the buyer has no basis for escalating because you provided what you were obliged to - essentially this is resolving the issue with the buyer. Ok, sure there's a technicality of the label no longer being valid, but the actual act of escalating the request to a claim, is to indicate "the seller didn't resolve the issue", when in fact, you did, making the escalation a misuse of the MBG. 

This wouldn't stop the escalation, but it's the kind of argument I would try if eBay tried to insist I needed to purchase another label - unless I could think of something better, anyway, as I reckon that'd have about a 50/50 shot, polssibly slightly more in favour of failing. 

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

The label was valid for 2 days and they didn't use it.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

The label was valid for 2 days and they didn't use it.

What did I say that suggested I don't understand that? 

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Nothing.     Wasn't referring to anything you said or didn't say.

Just pointing out that ebay UK need to be reminded of that fact.

I'll just be on my merry way then...........................................

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Ah, ok - as the comment was in reply to my post I thought you were trying to clarify it to me. Just a misunderstanding. 

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

if item was sent from australia it is an australian transaction and ebay over seas cannot legally get involved.. you only have to mention this to ebay and they will back off still don't understand how any you don't know simple australian consumer laws ect and what ebay and paypalcan actually do..it's a joke

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply