ebay is too expensive and greedy

ecomovement
Community Member

ebay stole my profits. yes i know that you should read the terms and fee conditions but there aren't any other auction alternatives that efficient as ebay yet but i hope there will be soon. 7.9% is a complete rip off and they know it. I sold and ipad for $370 and ebay took $29.30. That says it all. we are all played like sheep paying those public company profits......

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Do you mean an Insertion Fee and then the FVF when the item sells?

That is not double dipping.  And as I understand it you are not charged fees by paypal when you pay your ebay fees.

Message 21 of 43
Latest reply

No Not the insertion fee, if i sell an item for $10 and ebay take $1,, i will find $9 in my paypal when payment is made,, then at the end of the month another $1 comes out, Wich is not including any other fees at all 

Message 22 of 43
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You are referring to the paypal fee.  When the buyer pays you through paypal, you as the seller pay the fee which is 30cents + 2.4% of the value of the amount transferred...item cost + postage.

That is not double dipping....you are paying ebay for using their service to list and sell your item and paypal for their service in transferring the buyer's payment to you.

Message 23 of 43
Latest reply

If you sell an item for $10 and the buyer pays with Paypal you will have a net payment of $9.46 in your Paypal account.

Ebay will charge you 79c at the end of the month, if you have your account set up for automatic payments from your Paypal account then that is where the payment will come from leaving you with $8.68 more than you would have had if you had not sold it.

(all amounts are approx and worked out very quickly in my non mathmatically inclined head lol).

They are different payments to different companies for different services.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 24 of 43
Latest reply

So When i use a free listing will i still be charged a listing fee anyway?

Message 25 of 43
Latest reply

A free listing means you're not charged an insertion fee. You won't pay any fees if the item doesn't sell. (If a listing is not free, then insertion fees range from - I think - 50 cents to $3.00, depending on start price and regardless of whether the item sells).

If the item does sell, eBay will then charge the 7.9% final value fee, which is calculated on the sale price(s), added to your account and then charged once per month.

If a buyer uses PayPal, the fee for that is taken immediately before your account is credited with any funds.

Message 26 of 43
Latest reply

I agree 100%. They are double dipping.

You basically have to allow min 10% extra on top of your asking price to cover ebay fees.

Message 27 of 43
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Apart from the fact that this thread is a month old, where has it been said that anyone is double dipping?

But yes, 10-12% would be about right for the fees to sell an item that is paid through paypal...depending on whether the listing is free.

Message 28 of 43
Latest reply

You basically have to allow min 10% extra on top of your asking price to cover ebay fees.

which is between 10 and 20% LESS than the fees for selling thru a real Auction House.. so very very cheap to sell on eBay.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 29 of 43
Latest reply

I see the problem with eBay is it hasn't been improved much over the years.

it lacks of some basic functionalities such as options, product reviews, instant messaging system and some sorting facilities. It bothers me everytime the customer forget to leave colour preference and i have to ask them.

some of the overseas platforms are way way better than eBay.

however, personally i don't want to see them to open business in Australia. that would simply be the end of most the independent online shopping stores because they pack everything under one roof there will be no reason to buy elsewhere. as a result the resellers have to compete with each other on the market place with price war.

so I like eBay going worse..

Message 30 of 43
Latest reply