ebay told me best match have problem, and the premium service system goes wrong

i have been to ebay office on the level 23, 1 york st, sydney, they have contacted the ebay united state technical team, they have told me the best match system have problem, they probably will fix it.  The ranking of my listing is dropped from this week monday, and i can not sell many items out, before i can sell 300+ items easily, currently i only sell 50 items. more than 80% sales drop. if you have the same problem for the best match and listing ranking, please reply this message, we can organise to be a group to beat with ebay about the best mactch problem..

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: ebay told me best match have problem, and the premium service system goes wrong

@sj_wedding_auction wrote:

Let's just say sometime after 20th Sept the ranking for all my listing have dropped significantly. I used to have several featuring in the top 150 and 99% would be inside 1000. I just checked this morning and I have 0 in the top 1000. I haven't gotten many sales for the past 2 weeks! None of my popular items are moving at all. It's so bad I'm thinking I might as well just cancel my subscription and go back to casual seller! 

not sure if ebay has fixed the problem but my sales started to pick back up again last night but i did update most of my listing's with the new changes coming in for top sellers and pictures. 

Message 11 of 27
Latest reply

Re: ebay told me best match have problem, and the premium service system goes wrong

@thendreamer wrote:

@sj_wedding_auction wrote:

Let's just say sometime after 20th Sept the ranking for all my listing have dropped significantly. I used to have several featuring in the top 150 and 99% would be inside 1000. I just checked this morning and I have 0 in the top 1000. I haven't gotten many sales for the past 2 weeks! None of my popular items are moving at all. It's so bad I'm thinking I might as well just cancel my subscription and go back to casual seller! 

not sure if ebay has fixed the problem but my sales started to pick back up again last night but i did update most of my listing's with the new changes coming in for top sellers and pictures. 

Have checked to see if your ranking have gone back to where it should be? I spoke to ebay yesterday (saturday) and the person said it's not an isolated issue but he doesn't have an answer right now. I checked my listing analytics this morning and still none of my listings are in the top 1000. I have made sure all my listing satified the premium service requirement but doesn't seem to do anything.

Message 12 of 27
Latest reply

Best match" set to be default option when somebody comes to ebay and starts searching.

Do you really think a lot of buyers use that dropdown box to change "Best Match" to something more meaningful?

Do you really think a lot of them know there are problems with "Best match"? -oztockman wrote

------------------------------------------------

I think a lot of people would just type in their search terms and then scroll down through whatever comes up. They wouldn't necessarily change 'best match'. And you can bet if there are 12 or 13 pages of search, hardly anyone gets past about page 3 or 4.

Or maybe I am just judging it on myself.

Do people know there's a problem with best match? No, I doubt 99% of people would. It sometimes throws up some weird & irrelevant things, but so do all the other search options.

Do I change it from best match? Sometimes. My preference would be for ending soonest, but on the things i have been looking at lately, I found it didn't work for me-was showing me a lot of stuff that wasn't really at all like what i was looking for, it was frustrating. So I went back to best match.

If you're a seller and your stuff isn't showing on the first few pages with best match, I would say your sales would suffer.

Message 13 of 27
Latest reply

I'm only a new seller, just over a year and I was enjoying strong growth in sales, which lead me to invest in more stock. But then it seemed like the "best match" algorithm changes threw a spanner in the works of my growing business. 

Seems like eBay isn't in much of a rush to fix "best match", at least thats the impression I'm getting from my experience. Since about the 19th of Sept my sales/impressions went into steady decline and are still flat lining on zero. I've switched all my products to qualify for the "premium service" but no improvement in rankings or sales. I'm top ranked, have 100% positive feedback, and yet items which do not qualify for "premium service" and/or are from sellers with negative feedback outrank me.

The only way I seem to be making sales these days is by offering 99c auctions, which wastes my free listings and gives eBay an extra $1.50 everytime.

The conspiracy theorist in me, makes me think that this is what eBay wants, to kill off small sellers and promote the larger/ more professional stores. But there is another part of me that hopes things will return to something close to the way they were.

I have confidence in my products and I believe I offer customer service second to none, but selling on eBay is not worth while at this rate. I cannot believe that if there is a problem with "best match", eBay hasn't contacted sellers to reassure them that the problem is being fixed. If my month does not improve I will be leaving eBay, my only hope is that eBay's income has suffered, it seems that would be the only thing to motivate them into fixing the problem if there is one in their opinion.

I would like to hear other sellers stories, have you noticed any changes?

Message 14 of 27
Latest reply

Hi I am not a top seller, but I have not sold anything for weeks. Further today, ebay is so slow to load. I havew tried different browsers and still have the same problem. Anyone else?

Message 15 of 27
Latest reply

@mumspinupgirl wrote:

Hi I am not a top seller, but I have not sold anything for weeks. Further today, ebay is so slow to load. I havew tried different browsers and still have the same problem. Anyone else?

yes, had that problem.

ran a speed test on speednet, said everything was fine.

so I turned off my modem and reset it.

Right as rain now.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 16 of 27
Latest reply

has anyone thought that maybe eBay aren't trying to fix Best Match because it is exactly the way that they intend it to be?

i.e. for their purposes, it isn't broken.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 17 of 27
Latest reply

For those of you who have upgraded their listings to premium service (free post & 30 day returns), I would do a test.  Check where one of your listings currenly sits, then do something to unqualify you as a premium service (ie set returns back to 14 days) nad then test your listing placement again.  Can't wait for the result 🙂

Message 18 of 27
Latest reply

None of my listings qualify as premium, and there is a fair bet none ever will.

My sales since mid-September are about average for the period since May this year and WAY above the same time last year.

Message 19 of 27
Latest reply

i have contacted to ebay, they told me it is the problem of strong competition and the increase of australia dollars, this explain make me laugh,  i think they do not wanna solve this issue 

Message 20 of 27
Latest reply