is ZipPay and AfterPay acceptable for eBay transactions?

Have no idea what they are, do they cost anything to the seller, and does the seller has to sign up for them?

Message 1 of 77
Latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: is ZipPay and AfterPay acceptable for eBay transactions?

It's an option that can be implemented for credit card payments but I don't think there's a way to integrate it with any of the CC options with eBay checkout, and is not something currently offered by PayPal as it involves a form of credit (the seller is paid in full straight away, but the buyer's card is debited in instalments).

I'm not sure what additional costs there are for a seller to offer the option, but I suspect it woild be a small percentage of the transaction amount.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 77
Latest reply

@bigpelican wrote:
Can ebay respond? Are you considering implementing Afterpay EBAY? I for one would love it as a seller and buyer.

They can't at present, but it would at least be possible when the new checkout system has been implemented (full rollout expected to be completed 2021, so there's a ways to go before it's an option). 

Message 8 of 77
Latest reply

@drongobongo,

Welcome to the boards. (Unofficial welcome, but I believe there's no official welcome officer or welcoming party.)

You're right in saying that no one from eBay reads here (to the best of our knowledge). This means that threads aren't limited to very narrowly answering the opening question, but quite often meander a bit. As long as the discussion remains relatively on topic, it appears to be fine.

I think that a question about ZipPay and AfterPay would probably quite naturally segue into a discussion about whether such services are without risk, and whether it's better to pay up front (after saving) or whether the convenience of using AfterPay etc., offsets any possible drawbacks. I have never heard a merchant banker talk about whether or not to use AfterPay or ZipPay... or whether either of these are offered by eBay - but I suppose AfterPay's CEO must have consulted merchant bankers during the Clearpay deal, before acquiring so much of its equity...

Hmmm... I'm not sure why you're taking issue with lyndal's post dating back to more than a year ago... Are you perhaps particularly protective of or interested in accountants? I hope that the following gives you a nice pleasant laugh...

Message 64 of 77
Latest reply
76 REPLIES 76

It's an option that can be implemented for credit card payments but I don't think there's a way to integrate it with any of the CC options with eBay checkout, and is not something currently offered by PayPal as it involves a form of credit (the seller is paid in full straight away, but the buyer's card is debited in instalments).

I'm not sure what additional costs there are for a seller to offer the option, but I suspect it woild be a small percentage of the transaction amount.
Message 2 of 77
Latest reply

Thanks, I think they have it in the US, but this potential buyer is in Australia.  If they cannot pay, I do not want to mess around with them. 

Message 3 of 77
Latest reply

AfterPay is very popular here with big stores like David Jones and The Good Guys.

To me it is just a way to get goods on a laybye system.  As a buyer I would never use it....If I cannot pay the full amount immediately then I would not buy.

Message 4 of 77
Latest reply

My kids use it and it works on only 4 even fortnightly payments.

So if you bought something for $100 then you pay it off over 2 months at $25 per fortnight.

It's not anything like a laybuy because with a laybuy you don't get the goods until you paid it off in full but with afterpay you get the goods before you pay for them.

Message 5 of 77
Latest reply

Can ebay respond? Are you considering implementing Afterpay EBAY? I for one would love it as a seller and buyer.
Message 6 of 77
Latest reply

eBay reps don't read the boards so you are very unlikely to get any sort of response from them.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 7 of 77
Latest reply

@bigpelican wrote:

They can't at present, but it would at least be possible when the new checkout system has been implemented (full rollout expected to be completed 2021, so there's a ways to go before it's an option). 

Message 8 of 77
Latest reply

Can you use zip pay on eBay ??
Message 9 of 77
Latest reply

Not at the moment but that may change in time.

Message 10 of 77
Latest reply