is this feedback extortion?

I sold an item on the 26th march, the buyer emailed me the next day ( never before the auction end) asking if they could 'pick up the item?', I emailed them back stating it was postage only as the listing stated.
They have just received the item in the mail and emailed me immediately stating the following :

First, I have received the item. Thank you for mailing it so promptly.

But second, there is a fault with the item that was not mentioned: the arm keeps coming off the central hub. Even without my cat playing with it, if I just leave it running the arm frequently comes off and has to be reattached.

I have already ordered replacement arms from the US, although including shipping, this cost me an additional USD $29.99.

I wanted to give you an opportunity to offer redress before leaving negative feedback.

Is this feedback extortion? Are they annoyed that I wouldn't let them pick the item up? Are they also asking me to refund them an extra $29.99 on top of not retuning the item for a full refund?
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the item,
I tested it intensely before posting it well packaged/protected! I just googled the product and it turns out that it's a common issue that the arm can fall off at times.

The buyer only has a feedback score of 4,
I'm just a bit confused as to why they are not using the resolution centre if the issue is real!
Message 1 of 82
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

No it is not FB extortion as the buyer is not requesting anything they are not entitled to, but I will say it used to annoy me whenever a buyer said those 'rather not leave you negative' words as I see that as a veiled threat.

This particular buyer however is very nice and has been asking for advice on these boards also.

Maybe you could both sort something out together as both seem to be tryng to do the right thing, and yes this situation is real, and you have admitted this is a fault the manufacturer is aware of.

Hope you can work it out amicably.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 82
Latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

No it is not FB extortion as the buyer is not requesting anything they are not entitled to, but I will say it used to annoy me whenever a buyer said those 'rather not leave you negative' words as I see that as a veiled threat.

This particular buyer however is very nice and has been asking for advice on these boards also.

Maybe you could both sort something out together as both seem to be tryng to do the right thing, and yes this situation is real, and you have admitted this is a fault the manufacturer is aware of.

Hope you can work it out amicably.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 2 of 82
Latest reply

Hi, no its not. They can ask.

However if you tested it and it was fine when you sent it then any problems should have been reported to you on arrival and a refund sought pending return of the item.

If they chose not to do so then that is their decision. If they chose to repair and not return that is their decision.

If they choose not to use ebay/paypal resolution centre then that is their decision.

Any negative feedback can be responded to in a clear concise manner explaining their incorrect actions.

Message 3 of 82
Latest reply

"There is absolutely nothing wrong with the item,"  ok then you'll have no trouble offering a full refund.

Now i read where the buyer says "I do not want to return the purchase."

I would suggest that the two of you work together to solve the issue.

Message 4 of 82
Latest reply

I am the buyer to which monster_truck is referring. As I said in the thread on this topic that I started independently in the buyer's forum, I really am a near-total newbie here (this is only my 5th ebay purchase and I have never sold anything).

There seems to be some question as to whether I am telling the truth about the fault with the device.

I have made a short video using my webcam demonstrating the fault. However, I can't figure out how to send it to monster_truck individually or post it to a forum. I thought the "Insert a video" icon would allow me to do this, but now I come to it, it appears that's only good for YouTube.

Obviously still photos prove nothing there: I really need video.

Can anyone help?

Message 5 of 82
Latest reply

Hi, can I ask why you have not requested/returned the item for a refund? 

Ebay has a Resolution centre for transactions like this and if it was faulty a return would be appropriate.

Message 6 of 82
Latest reply

I see you have visitied the thread I started over on the buyer's forum. I think that explains my actions.

I admit that I've had very little experience on this site, and don't generally know how things work around here. That's why I came to these forums.

According to ebay's policies, I am supposed to begin by contacting the seller and seeing if we can't work things out between ourselves before taking any further action. See:

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/buy/item-not-received.html#talk

So that's what I'm now doing.

Message 7 of 82
Latest reply

I think most are wondering why you would not want to return an item if it is 'not as described' or damaged. Also if you decide to fix the item yourself I believe you are going to void any help paypal would normally give in this instance. You said you didn't want to return it so what do you expect the seller to do for you? pay the cost of repair?

I don't think a negative is deserved in this instance either

Message 8 of 82
Latest reply

hi, Yes I read that you recieved a "faulty" item "not as described" but want to keep it anyway.

I read you have already ordered a replacement part for the faulty item.

I read where you discussed negative feedback for the seller.

Your simplest solution would have been to return the item for a full refund as per ebay polices.

Message 9 of 82
Latest reply

@lancelotlink666 wrote:

I see you have visitied the thread I started over on the buyer's forum. I think that explains my actions.

I admit that I've had very little experience on this site, and don't generally know how things work around here. That's why I came to these forums.

According to ebay's policies, I am supposed to begin by contacting the seller and seeing if we can't work things out between ourselves before taking any further action. See:

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/buy/item-not-received.html#talk

So that's what I'm now doing.

I think you will find that opening a dispute is generally only going to be good for getting a refund (after returning the item to the seller at your expense) once it's clear the seller is not prepared to work with you in a situation like this.

Personally, and I know it's too late now, but I think the fact that both parties to this transaction asked for advice means neither knew exactly how to handle it, but I see no indication as yet that the seller is not prepared to work with you and offer a fair resolution, just that they were unsure of your intentions (which, as much as it can be affronting, it's not really a personal accusation, as it's relatively common when a problem arises between two people who have virtually no interaction, none of it face to face, and likely experienced or at least heard of some horror stories in the past).

The negotiations can, of course, still be facilitated via the dispute process, and if I were to offer any advice to both buyer and seller, it would be the age old do unto others bit (that is, as a buyer, don't do anything you wouldn't want a buyer to do to you, and vice versa - as a seller, don't do anything you wouldn't want a seller to do to you; when you think about a transaction in those terms, allow how you would like to be treated if the shoe was on the other foot to help decide your actions, rather than try to decide what the other person's actions should be - within reason, of course).

If you stiill wish for the video to be viewed, you will have to upload it to a hosting service like YouTube first. 

Message 10 of 82
Latest reply