<Removed> highest lumens torch regents park nsw nearly killed me

Faulty product battery exploded inside weaponised metal torch beware don’t buy toxic gas in air could kill someone

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@cherrybrook_1234 wrote:
Faulty product battery exploded inside weaponised metal torch beware don’t buy toxic gas in air could kill someone

That's pretty shocking to hear, but is this forum the best place for you to complain?

If you bought this torch in Australia, I would have thought one of the consumer affairs sites would have been the first port of call.

Even if it is an imported product, they need to know. Even if you bought it online here at ebay, it is still worth an official complaint if you feel the fault is something that could actually kill someone.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Very much my thoughts

Highly unlikely anyone wanting to buy one is going to just happen to read here first, you really do need to raise this with the proper channels 

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

As springy suggests, inform the ACCC.

image host
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Just wondering if the batteries were fitted, with correct polarity, given the feedback you left combined with this post, I am guessing the torch was charged with batteries fitted in reverse polarity.  In any event cheap chinese lithium batteries are always a risk.

Given the ammount of negs you leave, (Some removed), perhaps you would be better off buying from Australia, B&M Stores.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@cherrybrook_1234,

Presumably this is the HIGHEST LUMENS XHP70.2 MOST POWERFUL FLASHLIGHT USB TORCH HUNTING LAMP HAND LIGH...?

The item specifics state "Unbranded". That's one clue that you're not in good safe territory.

When you click onto the seller's feedback percentage, you're taken to the seller's feedback profile page. There it clearly states:

Yes, the listing itself states that the item location is Sydney, Australia, but that may mean one of two things:
  1. The seller uses an Australian warehouse through a logistics company, where goods are shipped from China to the warehouse from time to time, and the torch itself is in stock in that warehouse; or
  2. The seller uses "just in time fulfillment", in which goods not actually in Australia at the time of ordering are somehow deemed to be in Australia. (Read about it here.)
Spoiler

@digital*ghost wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Yes Foxy, that could be right.

More and more Asian sellers are using logistics services to ship goods to Australia in bulk.....there are a number of such services located in Botany that I know of and Ermington also has a large industrial area and an AP distribution centre.

So in part their location as Australia is true....they just leave out the part about the goods having to travel thousands of kilometres to get to the Australian warehouse AFTER you have bought them.

Apparently this is being called "just in time fulfillment", and it's kind of a cross between dropshipping and pre-orders.

Goods don't go direct from the original supplier to the buyer, but to the warehouse, and then to the buyer.

Also apparently, this means that it's not dropshipping or pre-ordering, so the same requiresments don't apply, and saying the item is located in Sydney is ok by ebay because it gets to sydney sooner or later.... Smiley Indifferent

So, if you are ever breaching eBay's rules, I guess that means you can call it something new or different and eBay will just have to say it's ok because they don't have any policies for the new thing. 

You should also read this post. (It's about unbranded/fake phones made in Chinese factories, but the same principles apply.)

If that is the torch about which you are complaining, I'm a little surprised that you didn't mention in your feedback that it nearly killed you. Your feedback is actually incredibly mild:

Negative feedback ratingwaste of money on this torch . torch does not charge and is faulty

Had I been nearly killed by a faulty torch with toxic gas and exploding battery turning it into a weaponised metal thingamy, I'd have been much more severe in my comments, and would probably have said something like "Torch not to Australian Standards, faulty, battery exploded, almost killed me."

You buy an awful lot of goods from Chinese sellers. Perhaps this experience will be an eye-opener, in that saving a few dollars on items is a false economy if you are buying electronic or electrical goods from China. I'll just quote one small but very pertinent section from the post to which I referred earlier:

❝The [item] may - if it's a fake and fails to meet Australian safety standards - cause injury to you or another person, or to other goods. You won't be covered by insurance if it is indeed a fake that ipso facto fails to meet Australian safety standards; au contraire, you'll be liable for any damage, injuries, or death.❞

To my mind, not worth the risk.

From what you say, you're lucky to be alive. Please don't undervalue your life and the lives of others close to you. Buy these sorts of items from Australian authorised sellers whose goods have met the appropriate safety standards.From a previous answer that I'd made in the Answer Centre:

❝You are taking an enormous risk in buying electronic parts and gear from Hong Kong / China. The goods are highly unlikely to be made to Australian safety standards. Do the items that you're buying have EESS Conformity Certification (CCS)? I suspect not. It's one thing to buy grey goods / parallel imports to save some money (at the risk of possibly having no enforceable warranty), but it's far worse when one buys electric/electronic goods made in the cheapest possible way in factories in China where there isn't any standard comparable to the Australian safety standards, and neither is there any responsibility for the safety of the persons who end up using those goods.

If something goes wrong, you could damage or destroy other (more expensive) goods, damage/destroy your house, injure/kill other people in the vicinity, and suffer injury or loss of life yourself.

If the cause of a fire or other catastrophic event is determined to be electric/electronic goods that you've bought from China, and those goods are shown in the investigation not to meet Australian safety standards, there won't be any insurance cover, either.

Of course, it's your decision whether or not you wish to continue buying computer parts and adapters and cables and the Lord only knows what else from China / Hong Kong. Perhaps it's being "penny wise pound foolish", though; it's certainly an actual risk. I would not put the lives of the people I love in such danger, for the sake of a few dollars.

There are regulations that apply to the supply of electrical equipment and appliances. The requirements set out in the regulations must be followed. A failure to do so is a criminal offence.

Regulations and Standards apply to all electrical equipment sold or offered for supply in Australia.    Certain types of equipment are classified as prescribed. These pieces of equipment must go through a certification process which ensures the equipment is compliant to the relevant safety standards before being offered for supply in Australia.

Regulatory Compliance Mark (RCM)

Prescribed electrical products must have an RCM on the appliance or an Australian approval number to show that the product has been certified.
This mark is currently recognised by all States and Territories of Australia.

Regulatory Compliance Mark

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply