managed payments and personal information.

Is it true that to sign up for managed payments, eBay demands heaps of personal information, and also we have to once again prove who we are and upload bank account details etc,etc. All of this personal informtion is then sent to a third party which eBay is then not responsible for. I would like to hear from those who have already signed up, as to whether this is true or not.

Message 1 of 118
Latest reply
117 REPLIES 117

Re: managed payments and personal information.

mben8427
Community Member

It is indeed true and even worse.  If you do register , Ebay then puts any payments on hold for up to 90 days.  This is the information I got , and I quote, from a chat session on this very topic.

As a new seller, we'll hold your funds for 90 days from your first successful sale, your first 25 transactions and your first A$250 in sales. You must meet all qualifications for your funds to stop being held.

It is complete madness!  You are classified as new because Ebay has changed their system!!!  

I have a transaction in the middle of this and have absolutely no hope of meeting these requirements that are not stated when you sign up AND give them all that personal information (licence or passport number, birth date etc etc).  I am thinking of taking this case to the ACCC.  It is totally outrageous behaviour.

Message 51 of 118
Latest reply

@mben8427 wrote:

It is indeed true and even worse.  If you do register , Ebay then puts any payments on hold for up to 90 days.  This is the information I got , and I quote, from a chat session on this very topic.

As a new seller, we'll hold your funds for 90 days from your first successful sale, your first 25 transactions and your first A$250 in sales. You must meet all qualifications for your funds to stop being held.

It is complete madness!  You are classified as new because Ebay has changed their system!!!  

I have a transaction in the middle of this and have absolutely no hope of meeting these requirements that are not stated when you sign up AND give them all that personal information (licence or passport number, birth date etc etc).  I am thinking of taking this case to the ACCC.  It is totally outrageous behaviour.

**this reply also posted on your thread in Community Feedback, but not many members visit there, which is why I am posting it here too**

Iโ€™ll help you get some sales.

If you list a โ€œUsed $1.10 stamp attached to an addressed envelopeโ€ for $1.62 Buy It-Now with free postage and I will buy one.  Stamp cost is $1.10, eBay fees will be [($1.62 x 13.4%) + 30c] = 52c so you will not make any money on the sale and it will only cost you the price of an envelope.

You then put a $1.10 stamp on an envelope and put my mailing address on it and pop it into the post.  You get a sale, I get a used stamp on an envelope, I leave feedback . . . just 24 more feedbacks needed.

List the same again next week and Iโ€™ll buy another.  Then only 23 more feedbacks needed.  What can I say . . . I like to help people . . . Iโ€™m a fixer . . . I can fix things (it would cost me less than buying a takeaway coffee).

When your โ€˜pickupโ€™ buyer picks up the cup and saucer ask them to leave feedback.  Explain to them that you need feedback to get your funds.  A reasonable person would oblige.

AND JUST SO YOU KNOW, I do not work for eBay.  Do not send me any more Private Message asking me such a silly question.  Do not send a message like the one you sent me to any other member.  You are lucky I am such a happy go lucky person who likes to help people . . . or else you may have gotten a totally different response to the PM you sent me (a response that truly lets you know what I think about people that ask that question).  

Message 52 of 118
Latest reply

boy_cee
Community Member

Too much I'm out!

Message 53 of 118
Latest reply

Too much I'm out! facebook maybe

Message 54 of 118
Latest reply

I totally agree with you.

It's this distrustful government that's responsible. 

Message 55 of 118
Latest reply

Ebay.....trying to be Amazon.

Message 56 of 118
Latest reply

They require a photo id....no authority in government can demand this.

Message 57 of 118
Latest reply

same - it is totally disgusting to be asking for all the id that is needed for identity fraud - they want all of your private information - bank account details - driver licence - date of birth - address - no way - this is totally open for identity fraud - bring back paypal - this user never using ebay again

Message 58 of 118
Latest reply

I'm sure ebay will sorely miss your one sale a year  

Message 59 of 118
Latest reply

But they still got your licence number for your other accounts. If a hacker got your licence and managed to get your other accounts info - you know the one with all your money in then it's the same scenario, you are stuffed in any way you look at it.

Message 60 of 118
Latest reply