new seller after information

Hi,

I'm new to selling on ebay.

I listed an item as pickup only as it was too big/hard to post (large tent)

Had a buyer message me asking if it was complete ect? i replied saying yes.

Buyer then purchased the item.

After the purchase, i messaged the buyer and offered to deliver to them if they live close by, so they could set the tent up and test it before paying me. That way if they were not happy, we could cancle transaction.

They replied saying they lived on otherside of country. But also said they'll pay the extra for postage.

Just the length alone is 108cm which does not fit in aus post 105cm limit. I have a nagging feeling in back of mind... that i should just try cancle transaction. But if i do this, they can leave negative feedback? i only have 26 feedback, and 25 of them was as a buyer.

Now seeing as though it was listed as pickup only, would ebay remove neg feedback if it came to that?

Hopefully someone more experienced can give me some guidance?

regards,

Kieran

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: new seller after information

I'd cancel the sale via ebay customer service. They will confirm your right to do so and also log the issue.

It is not in your interest to meet such a buyer request , as it is unwanted work for you and opens up the chances of a dispute.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Thank you for input. Yes that sums up what i'm feeling.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

As suggested cancel the sale but explain to the buyer first that you listed as pick up only for various reasons.

(No need to explain)

I wouldn't offer to deliver, better to have the buyer pick up for when you relist.

In the cancellation select 'something wrong with buyer's address'.

Then you don't get a defect.

Once the cancellation is done they won't be able to leave feedback.

image host
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Hello, kieramatthew0,

Please read through this post: https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Cash-on-pick-up-PayPal-for-pick-up-Inspect-pick-up-items-Pa...

I've explained how the MBG works with regard to pickup items. If you list an item as pickup only, do not offer to deliver it! If the buyer fails to collect, they're not protected under the MBG. If the buyer arranges someone (courier, friend, whatever) to pick up on their behalf, they're not protected under the MBG. That means that you yourself as the seller are protected from (or supposed to be protected from) requests to return, claims of item not as described, etc.

So never ever offer to deliver a pickup item.

If the buyer has paid by PayPal, it's up to them to organise pickup. It's not your responsibility. If the buyer were to give you negative feedback saying you wouldn't deliver, you have the right of reply - e.g., "Item listed as pick up only. Buyer did not collect." BUT - you could also ring eBay and request removal of the neg, explaining that the buyer was requesting something post-sale that wasn't included in the listing - i.e., that you post the item. You would have a good chance of having such a neg removed - so don't respond to any such feedback unless you're told it will stand.

But - if the transaction is cancelled - the buyer won't have the ability to leave feedback anyway.

You could simply refund the buyer's payment less your nonrefundable PayPal fees, then cancel the sale with the reason that there was a problem with the buyer's address. This reason will avoid a defect on your account.

That's probably the easiest way to go about this.

EDIT: Kopenhagen has similar points!

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

I contacted ebay live chat before canceling, and they did it for me. They also said they'd remove neg feedback if any left.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply