pay with money order'

has anyone had someone offer to paqy via money order and how would that work?

how do i stop someone buying the item before i recieve the money?

i can delete the listing of course then relist it but i can see how the buyer can buy.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pay with money order'

David, money orders are a different kettle of fish in the fish in the USA.  He probably did not realise you were in Australia when he asked the question.

It would cost him an arm and a leg to send a money order to you (and for you to cash it) so he used the good old standby for overseas transactions....paypal.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

pay with money order'

Used to get quite a few moneyorders before Paypal opened in Australia. It is one of the safest ways for a seller to receive their cash, like a cheque no chance of a claim for any reason.

You cannot be scammed as long as you tell the buyer their item will not be posted until you have received the moneyorder. Just make sure you cash it straight away.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

pay with money order'

do i need to change the listings payment method?

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

pay with money order'

There used to be a tick box for money orders in account details. That way it shows on your listings. I,m not sure if it is still there, but I cant see why it wouldnt be. I used to offer it and recieved a few money orders. It was never a problem. I just moved to only accepting paypal as this keeps my records very simple for the ATO.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

pay with money order'

ok, i have revised the listing and ticked the box for money order, fingers crossed.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

pay with money order'

David, you cannot stop the buyer actually buying the item before they pay.....what would happen if they sent you a money order and someone else had already paid for the item.

They buy, send the money order in the mail.....you just do not send the item until you receive the money order and cash it.

Just allow a bit longer for it to arrive before you open a non paying bidder dispute....you knowhow slow Australia Post can be.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

pay with money order'

The process for a sale where the payment is a MO is basically the same as the process for bank deposit, it just takes longer and costs more ($9.95 to buy a MO, $1 to send it, plus cost of goods etc - kind of a pricey way to go about things nowadays). 

Money orders can be cancelled before they've been cashed, so even if you receive it ok, as lyndal says, I wouldn't hand over the package for delivery until it's been cashed. 

I sent a money order for my first purchase on ebay, they were $5.95 or $6.95 at the time, but the purchase never arrived, the seller couldn't send a replacement so they refunded me via money order, and they sent back the full amount I paid, so not a great eBay experience for either of us - I didn't really appreciate at the time how lucky it was I picked a seller who would do that; and still feel guilty that I never left them glowing feedback once I realised how easily I could have lost the whole amount.  Smiley Embarassed

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

pay with money order'

Make sure they buy it first (before they send the money), otherwise you'll be accused of selling off ebay. They need your address to post it to, so they definitely need to have bought it first!

I'd probably ask them not to mark it as paid their end as it may affect your handling time, ie. it could start from when they mark it as paid, even though you won't have received the money yet. I'm not sure what effect it has (if any) if the buyer marks it as paid from their end but better to play safe.
Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

pay with money order'

all sorted, turns out the guy is in the USA. something he didnt mention in his message about money orders. i just took it for granted he was in australia.

it had me wondering as some of the things he was asking were odd.

after id revised the item with the money order bit i messaged him saying so and he replied wanting my address to send it to which of course i replied 'buy it and my address will be on the invoice' besides i'm not allowed to give my address via messaging.

next thing i know, the items sold (to this guy) and paid for with paypal!

why if he had paypal was he wanting to muck about with money orders is beyond me.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

pay with money order'

David, money orders are a different kettle of fish in the fish in the USA.  He probably did not realise you were in Australia when he asked the question.

It would cost him an arm and a leg to send a money order to you (and for you to cash it) so he used the good old standby for overseas transactions....paypal.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply