"We’ve allowed buyers to make offers to help you sell" NO HELP!!!

I'm new to ebay and I have noticed Ebay allowing offers on my items. I don't want this. I price my items at an excellent price and most of what I sell are handmade. I don't want to sell any lower. Ebay sends me an email and I have to go to 'manage my offers' on every single item. How do I stop this from happening all together.

Thanks Lisa xoxox

Message 1 of 86
Latest reply
85 REPLIES 85

Re: "We’ve allowed buyers to make offers to help you sell" NO HELP!!!

We should be able to make our OWN decisions whether we want or NOT want OFFERS on our sites!!

I personally don't like it as I ended up having to sell something cheaper than what I wanted purely because I was put in a tight spot!

I suggested the buyer placed a bid but she new others were looking and thought she could miss out. Anyway - I knew she was a needy person so let it go. But it was worth $120 & I ended up with $50. 

I helped her out so that makes up for it."I guess"! LOL Good Karma - maybe! 🙂

Message 71 of 86
Latest reply

@123neroli wrote:

We should be able to make our OWN decisions whether we want or NOT want OFFERS on our sites!!

I personally don't like it as I ended up having to sell something cheaper than what I wanted purely because I was put in a tight spot!

I suggested the buyer placed a bid but she new others were looking and thought she could miss out. Anyway - I knew she was a needy person so let it go. But it was worth $120 & I ended up with $50. 

I helped her out so that makes up for it."I guess"! LOL Good Karma - maybe! 🙂

That would seem to be YOUR decision, not eBay's.

Message 72 of 86
Latest reply

Selling under the price at which you can make a sufficient profit for you to make a living is not a good decision (in my opinion).

You're presumably selling in order for you to be able to pay your bills. Your buyer is buying things on eBay - out of her desire to buy things rather than to pay her bills...? This doesn't equate.

(Also, unless you have a financial report upon the lady, you don't know that she's genuinely in need. Sob stories are ten a penny; the old "I'm terribly poor" trick is pulled by many a person wanting to score a bargain.)

Also, by allowing eBay to get away with this - having forced "Make a bid" on your item - you're only encouraging eBay to keep doing it.

In short, it's not fair to you and it's not fair to every other seller on eBay.

Message 73 of 86
Latest reply

How right you are...

Selling to assist survival, as many of us do I guess!

Also decluttering - and for me getting unwanted items out of expensive storage which is a killer!

In future stating NO I DON'T ACCEPT!

Unless it is at least the starting price or of an amount greater than the starting price which would be in my best interests.

I did get a very long sad story in her first contact to me.

Guess I was a bit gullible? 🙂 

Message 74 of 86
Latest reply

If someone sent me a long sob story when they first contacted me or made an offer, it would put my back up a bit.

There is no need for people to do that. If something is above their means, then they should just not buy it & look for something within their budget.

If they want to make an offer, just make it, without trying to twist someone's arm.

If I were the seller, I'd be inclined to reply (whether true or not) that i sympathised because I was also financially pressed, so I just could not afford to sell my items way below their real value.

Bottom line of course is ebay has no right to accept offers on behalf of anyone. That's not what they are employed for, they are being paid simply to host the ad on their site.

Message 75 of 86
Latest reply

I've been selling on eBay for years and just this week they have changed 3 of my listings to accept offers without my permission. 
I just change the listing back to no offers.

i agree this is very rude and it makes me quite angry when they do this. As a seller you have to check your listings every day. You shouldn't have to do this. Obviously eBay don't have the sellers best interest at heart. 

Message 76 of 86
Latest reply

I have been in touch with them 3 times this week and there is no way that it can be turned off. You have to go in manually and adjust each listing. A pain I know. I have mutilple listings and it takes me two hours to change the settings. My suggestion is that EVERYONE complains to ebay about this feature. The more that complain, the better. Sellers are clearly disadvantaged by this feature. Also, in no way do you have to accept a best offer! I reeject all offers. 

Message 77 of 86
Latest reply

A pain I agree. I reject all offers. We sellers are under no legal obligation under Australian Consumer Law to accept the offer. 

Message 78 of 86
Latest reply

2 hours for 56 listings?

I thought my connection was slow.

Message 79 of 86
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

2 hours for 56 listings?

I thought my connection was slow.

Maybe you need to turn off your NBN/aDSL for about 29 years and then switch to Edge, which apparently comes free with windoze 10. Or something......

Edit: I forgot to mention running the virus ridden windoze defender and McAfee. Maybe having some extra viruses from those 2 programs might help speed things up a bit.

Message 80 of 86
Latest reply